Darthabyssus

Crossing the border with our stuff

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Visa Gang,

I shall first state I'm the Immigrating Canadian married to an American. Problems developed where my father decided to sell our house (he was co-owner) when we were not ready and our stuff was going to be sent to us in PODS. Since I don't have my A number yet, they refused. We've been forced to pay $500 a month for storage and bills keep piling, so I suggested to my wife she go back up to Canada and rent a U-haul to get our things back in U.S. Will the U.S. border have an issue with that. She's an American and she has a right to her stuff to be sure. My wife worries that they'll somehow flag what's my stuff or something to that effect. Would it be safe to move our stuff back now or should we wait?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America - topic about moving/importing belongings ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to get my husband's stuff but I did not use a U-Haul; filled my car to the brim with his clothes and other stuff. You're supposed to have a list of everything and the estimated value but I tooootally forgot to do that, CPB didn't seem to care. They didn't even bother to check my car aside from peeking in the window. I didn't have to pay a thing except the toll, just used my EZ-Pass. This link might help.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, that's useful. But does anyone know if the border considers a couple's property as communal or individual? My wife has stuff that's decades old, and together we have of course purchased new items together like a stove or couch and so on. And I have things I also brought in the marriage. I think my wife really wants to know if she tries to take it all, will the border know whose stuff is who's. Or should we wait for my A number to arrive?

Thanx gang

If it's hers and she's migrating it back to the USA she shouldn't have to pay anything.

They may ask questions about it and if they're household goods and personal items she should be fine. She should make a list of the items (box 1 = books, box 2 = bathroom, box 3 = clothes). I'm going to assume here, that she was living in Canada with you before you spontaneously decided to AOS and live in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.