petrite

Just arrived the states and need help!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I arrived the states 3 days ago on a CR1...Everything has been cool so far. I was told at the point of entry in dubai that i would get my green card in the mail. But i dont know what next to do. Don't know how to get my social security number and any other stuffs that is required for me to do. Is there anyone who has gone through this or with an experience about this process? I need help on what to do next. I have been here in california only a few days and i have been staying at home all day.

It's still relatively early on a Saturday, so you might want to give people a little time to reply before commenting again after only 7 minutes. :sleepy:

Lots of people have done what you are doing right now. I would suggest you click on the Guides link at the top of the page. There are a lot of helpful links there to help you with everything you need to do.

Here is the link to how to get a social security number.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Also, please fill in your timeline. This helps us to help you better on any future questions.

Edited by mlh
Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

re: greencard - what's the status on you in the ELIS system?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My status on the Elis system says "In Process" the case received date didn't change either. Nothing has changed on my status in the Elis system.

Go down to the Social security office on Monday hopefully you are in the system by now and you can get things going. Sometimes at the POE the SS gets triggered sometimes no. Since you have nothing to do start there.

You can also be online looking for work. Monster.com and careerbuilder.com and many temp agencies are great. Google is your friend ya know. Don;t just sit around. Where is your spouse to help you with things.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

N-400 process

03/03/16 Submitted N-400 application and docs
03/09/16 USCIS ackn rcpt (txt, email, and NOA1) and chk cashed
03/29/16 Biometrics (walked in - orig date 04/05/16)
04/04/16 In Line for an Interview (txt, email, and checked case status)

05/16/16 Scheduled for an Interview (Case Status Online)

05/20/16 Received I/L
06/24/16 Interview date (PASSED)
07/20/16 Oath-taking at LACC ( I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!)

Filed: Timeline

Go down to the Social security office on Monday hopefully you are in the system by now and you can get things going. Sometimes at the POE the SS gets triggered sometimes no. Since you have nothing to do start there.

You can also be online looking for work. Monster.com and careerbuilder.com and many temp agencies are great. Google is your friend ya know. Don;t just sit around. Where is your spouse to help you with things.

:thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

I arrived the states 3 days ago on a CR1...Everything has been cool so far. I was told at the point of entry in dubai that i would get my green card in the mail. But i dont know what next to do. Don't know how to get my social security number and any other stuffs that is required for me to do. Is there anyone who has gone through this or with an experience about this process? I need help on what to do next. I have been here in california only a few days and i have been staying at home all day.

You're going to need to read the guides for full details but here is a quick snapshot of what we did.

1) You should have a stamp in your passport which serves as a temporary proof of resident status.

2) Take that with you and birth certificate to social security office. They'll start the process for you (ours was convoluted due to length of first name so it was a bit of a hazzle). You'll get a letter (I think right there or in the mail).

3) Go to the nazis at the DMV to get at least a California ID card or if you already know how to drive then you can start your driving license application (they need social security number).

4) I didn't (I have recent proof but not those that encompasses two years) so an advice is to think down the line to removing conditions and start compiling proof of joint with your significant other.

Welcome.

PS: Tell us more about this Dubai POE thing.

Timeline

My husband POE in Abu Dhabi not Dubai. Its the only customs preclearance location outside in the Middle East More details are on our timeline.http://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

Edited by foreignnaijawife

Re: Dubai airport - google CBP pre-clearance locations and you'll learn where they are.

Dubai is not a pre-clearance point. Besides Canada, Ireland, and a few select Caribbean locations, abu dhabi (UAE) is the only other.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

OP.. the green card.. assuming the $165 fee's been paid on ELIS should arrives approx 2-3 weeks. SS# card.. assuming you 'yes' on the ds-260, should arrive in about 6 weeks. If not, go to the SS office to start the process.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Thanks pals, I went to the social security office and filed for a social security number. I guess I cannot go to the dmv until I get a social security number cuz they require it to give me an identification card and process my drivers license hug? I just home all day searching for jobs online and I I hear jobs require the SSN to offer employment. I am confused, please help me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.