LionessDeon

One year ban lifted early.

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As some of you may know, our visa journey hasn't gone very well since the embassy received our case from the NVC. After 2 interview appointments (December and January), my fiancé was given a one year ban and ruled inadmissible but eligible for a waiver. Since the consulate told him he had to wait a year, instead of getting a lawyer right away I planned a visit (february) so we could regroup and just hired a lawyer earlier this month. I figured we had time to kill. Our lawyer contacted the embassy recently and was informed that his one ban has now expired and if the waiver is approved they will continue on with the process and he can then re-do his medical.

While this is finally some good news for us, we feel frustrated at the fact that when we emailed them in prior months they never told us they were lifting the ban early. So I wasted a few months sitting around for nothing.

I only post this because waivers and bans are not discussed much and I thought maybe there are others out there that could benefit from my mistake. FILE YOUR WAIVER ASAP! It's amazing what the embassy will tell a lawyer, yet neglect to inform the beneficiary/petitioner themselves.

Another thing this process has taught me is don't be afraid or too proud to ask for help when you truly need it. So with that please pray for us and our lawyer! Hopefully she will put together one heck of a waiver packet and we will have one more hurdle cleared.

Thank you! Best of Luck to you all! I pray for all of us everyday!

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

May I ask why you were denied?

K - 1 Fiance Visa Process (I-129F Petition)

(L) Engaged (L) - March 22, 2015

K-1 Petition Sent (via USPS) - April 10, 2015

K-1 Petition Received - April 15, 2015

NOA1 (Email & Text) - April 16, 2015

NOA2 (Email, Text & App Notification) - May 22, 2015 (37 LONG Days from NOA1) :dance:

NOA2 (Official I-797 via Mail) - May 29, 2015

NVC Received (Phone Verification) - June 10, 2015

NVC Issued Case Number (Phone Verification) - June 11, 2015

Left NVC (Phone Verification) - June 15, 2015

Consulate Received (CEAC Website) - June 16, 2015

Emailed for Packet 3 - June 16, 2015 (US Immigration Computer Glitch Era: 6/9-6/23)

Emailed for Packet 3 - June 23, 2015 (2nd Attempt)

Received Packet 3 (via Email) - June 24, 2015

Scheduled Interview & Medical - June 24, 2015

Medical Appointment - July 3, 2015 (Medical Paperwork Picked-up 7/15/15)

Consulate Interview - July 17, 2015 (Approved) :dancing:

CEAC Web Status Update: "Ready" Case Created Date: Case Updated 7/20/2015 (Non-Immigrant Visa Application)
CEAC Web Status Update: "Administrative Processing" Case Updated 7/22/2015
CEAC Web Status Update: "Issued" Case Updated 7/24/2015 :dancing:

Department of State email stating Visa documents are at DHL Kingston ready for pickup - July 28, 2015 @ 5:45PM

Documents Transferred to Montego Bay, Jamaica for pickup w/DHL - July 29, 2015 (Called DHL Kingston to make request; Will be available 7/30/15)

Visa in Hand at DHL Montego Bay - July 30, 2015 @ 1:30PM :dance:

US Entry (IAH - Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport) - August 8, 2015

Court House Marriage - September 1, 2015

Applied for Social Security Card (In-Person in Houston about an hour wait) - September 1, 2015 (No Issues)

Adjustment of Status Process (I-485, I-131, I-765)

Sent I-485, I-765, I-131 (via USPS) - October 1, 2015

Applications Received - October 5, 2015

NOA1 (Email & Text) - October 8, 2015

NOA1 (Hard Copy) - October 13, 2015

Biometrics Appointment Letter Received - October 19, 2015

Biometrics Appointment - October 30, 2015

Wedding Ceremony - October 31, 2015

Service Request - December 28, 2015 (Called USCIS to check status of I-765 (Work Permit), representative put in Request for update since we were approaching 90 days)

New Card Is Being Produced (Text & Website) - December 30, 2015 (Status Update for Green Card (I-485) Case) :dancing:

Case Was Approved (Text & Website) - December 31, 2015 (I-485 Case)

Card Was Mailed (Text & Website) - January 5, 2016 (I-485 Case)

Green Card Received (USPS) - January 8, 2016 :dancing: :idea: :dancing: :no: :thumbs: :yes: :dance: :jest:

Timeline

Inadmissible for a 2005 ganja charge, small amount no jail time, equivalent to a $10US fine only.

One year ban for admitting to prior use at his medical exam.

I see a lot of discussion for bans in regards to overstays and those types of things, not much on this subject.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen may similar threads, I thought it was a common situation at this Consulate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have seen may similar threads, I thought it was a common situation at this Consulate?

Admission to using marijuana and having a one year ban is common to everyone. OP is discussing drug charges

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As some of you may know, our visa journey hasn't gone very well since the embassy received our case from the NVC. After 2 interview appointments (December and January), my fiancé was given a one year ban and ruled inadmissible but eligible for a waiver. Since the consulate told him he had to wait a year, instead of getting a lawyer right away I planned a visit (february) so we could regroup and just hired a lawyer earlier this month. I figured we had time to kill. Our lawyer contacted the embassy recently and was informed that his one ban has now expired and if the waiver is approved they will continue on with the process and he can then re-do his medical.

While this is finally some good news for us, we feel frustrated at the fact that when we emailed them in prior months they never told us they were lifting the ban early. So I wasted a few months sitting around for nothing.

I only post this because waivers and bans are not discussed much and I thought maybe there are others out there that could benefit from my mistake. FILE YOUR WAIVER ASAP! It's amazing what the embassy will tell a lawyer, yet neglect to inform the beneficiary/petitioner themselves.

Another thing this process has taught me is don't be afraid or too proud to ask for help when you truly need it. So with that please pray for us and our lawyer! Hopefully she will put together one heck of a waiver packet and we will have one more hurdle cleared.

Congratulations LionssDeon so good to hear from you. So happy from you two. This is great news. Thanks for keeping us informed. This will really help others. God bless you both.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wish you good luck. Keep the faith you guys will be OK.

Filed: Timeline

Guess its not discussed much as some ppl go negative on those seeking info

This consulate has no more weed smokers than elsewhere its just that they will

disclose it more when they cant find a thread with the answers.

Although the expunged program started in JA telling a panel doctor that you are

a weed head still will not sit well with the COs....A yr ban for admitting or them finding

it in ones system & you can be made to apply for a waiver if there was an arrest or

charge.

JAs be aware if you are required to file waivers of inadmissibilities there are good

waiver attys LIZ CANNON (free phone consult) MEGAN KLUNDT &, HEATHER POOLE

are some good ones: You don't need to be in their states as immigration is Federal.

You or petitioner can google & contact them

Lioness Congrats you cant go wrong with your atty

Timeline

Hello

I may be facing a similar dilemma. How soon did they lift the ban and it is really necessary to hire a attorney for the waiver

I have heard of people doing the waiver themselves. I did not want to chance it. I had no idea what to do. Feel better knowing a well recommended experienced attorney is handling it. And like I said we had email correspondence for months with the embassy and got nowhere. One email from an attorney and they told her exactly point blank what was going on. In January 2015 the consulate said "you failed the medical you have a one year ban". In June the embassy told our attorney the "ban has expired". So just about 6 mos. he failed the medical because he admitted to past use.

Hope this helps you!

Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.