Jump to content
anayjack

Good problem to have I think

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help. We got emails from the Bogota Embassy yesterday saying they got our USCIS application now. Honestly (and this will probably annoy some people...sorry), the process happened much quicker than I expected.

So, as if things couldn't be better (at the moment..famous last words eh?), I'm also boarding a plane tomorrow to go visit my fiancee again too. I kind of wish the timing was different but my flight isn't refundable...and we miss each other anyway.

My question(s) are this...once she gets the emails telling her what they need from her and I have all the "support" docs done and bank records, etc., how far out can you make your interview reservation? I would like to be there for it but taking a couple weeks vacation now and doing something similar next month is not really possible.

And then also, if she gets the visa approved for her should she try and get it for both her kids at the same time? One child is young and coming immediately, but the other is older and plans to just finish high school there with his grandparents before making a decision. But neither of us would be surprised if he changes his mind either. His K2 visa has an expiration date of year, right? So paying for it now would mean doing the whole process again after a year if decided in 13 months he is ready to come. Would it make any sense to do it now rather than just wait until he is ready and doing it then?

Also, if he is using a K2 visa to enter can he go back (more like a visit at first) and still come to move later with little difference? Does anyone who could otherwise get a K2 get a visitor visa instead for a particular reason? I would think it would be pretty easy to get that visitor visa if your parent is already here and you could actually legally move anyway if you wanted, right? It certainly gets convoluted with children involved...I have two myself so the family is definitely growing :-))))

And lastly...any real advantage to me being there for the interview? I would like to...she would like it...but if we decide she would rather I come along for the move it might make more sense to wait as it could be a month or so before she flies over after getting the k1 approved (the beneficiary has a year to use the K1 VISA correct?). We are extremely confident in our plans so we aren't worried as much about rushing but more about making sure all of our responsibilities are in order making for the smoothest transition for our kids (a 14, 7, 5, and 4 year old in total).

I'd appreciate any general thoughts if you have had a similar situation as well...even if you see something I didn't mention that you think I might want to know.

Thanks in advance...again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help. We got emails from the Bogota Embassy yesterday saying they got our USCIS application now. Honestly (and this will probably annoy some people...sorry), the process happened much quicker than I expected.

So, as if things couldn't be better (at the moment..famous last words eh?), I'm also boarding a plane tomorrow to go visit my fiancee again too. I kind of wish the timing was different but my flight isn't refundable...and we miss each other anyway.

My question(s) are this...once she gets the emails telling her what they need from her and I have all the "support" docs done and bank records, etc., how far out can you make your interview reservation? I would like to be there for it but taking a couple weeks vacation now and doing something similar next month is not really possible.

And then also, if she gets the visa approved for her should she try and get it for both her kids at the same time? One child is young and coming immediately, but the other is older and plans to just finish high school there with his grandparents before making a decision. But neither of us would be surprised if he changes his mind either. His K2 visa has an expiration date of year, right? So paying for it now would mean doing the whole process again after a year if decided in 13 months he is ready to come. Would it make any sense to do it now rather than just wait until he is ready and doing it then?

Also, if he is using a K2 visa to enter can he go back (more like a visit at first) and still come to move later with little difference? Does anyone who could otherwise get a K2 get a visitor visa instead for a particular reason? I would think it would be pretty easy to get that visitor visa if your parent is already here and you could actually legally move anyway if you wanted, right? It certainly gets convoluted with children involved...I have two myself so the family is definitely growing :-))))

And lastly...any real advantage to me being there for the interview? I would like to...she would like it...but if we decide she would rather I come along for the move it might make more sense to wait as it could be a month or so before she flies over after getting the k1 approved (the beneficiary has a year to use the K1 VISA correct?). We are extremely confident in our plans so we aren't worried as much about rushing but more about making sure all of our responsibilities are in order making for the smoothest transition for our kids (a 14, 7, 5, and 4 year old in total).

I'd appreciate any general thoughts if you have had a similar situation as well...even if you see something I didn't mention that you think I might want to know.

Thanks in advance...again.

I do not have experience with K2 so I'm going to stick with answering your last question about if you're able to be there for the interview. It all depends on the embassy, some embassies do not allow it because of limited space. So you can either check the embassy webpage for information or contact them and ask.






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go atop any VJ page, click "Embassy Info" and "Reviews: Embassy," and read about Bogota. See also the Mexico/Latin & South America regional forum here.

In general, it never hurts for the petitioner to be on the premises during the beneficiary's visa interview. The petitioner can give his U.S. passport for the beneficiary to show the consul. This scores big points and has even resulted in the petitioner's invitation into the interview. Never take granting of the visa or the consular process itself for granted. You can make all the plans in the world to skip the interview in favor of being there for the move, but consuls have been known to dash such plans.

Mrs. T-B.'s immigration process is over*, but I've remained active on VJ chiefly to warn people not to overlook the deadly seriousness of the consular process.

*See:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. TBone...I am planning on going to the interview. In the packet she received it actually noted at the end something like, "VISA sponsors are welcome to attend the interview at the embassy." I kind of took that to me...you probably should come if you can ;-)

As a side note to you as well...I posted my other question to you on doctor reviews in the Mexico/Latin America forum and sent a personal message to the member you suggested. I haven't seen anything in the Embassy Reviews for Bogota on this subject though otherwise. Maybe that's a good sign.

Thanks as always.

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. At least Bogota is forthcoming about the need/wish/desirability of the petitioner's presence.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×