atownsen

DS-160 refused Bogota colombia

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So the documents she has was your I 134 which shows that she has a SO who would support her in the US and an intent to carry on her studies in Colombia.

The first one helps show financial ability to pay for the trip and not be a public charge, but has the negative effect of showing she has a support system in the US.

The latter does not mean much, I doubt that it entailed a significant financial obligation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

One good approach when applying as a University student for a B1/B2 Visa in Colombia (from what I've learned so far, personal experience and friends) is to do it as a dependent of your parents. They will be able to show more ties to Colombia than you... for example properties, a job contract, etc.

I she can't apply with her family group, then she could try to get some properties under her name or really at the beginning of the new school semester, so it is not so close to her vacation period.

Best luck to you guys

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

atownsen, is it you who wants her to get a visitor visa or is it her? In other words, which person is more uncomfortable about a marriage at this point and feels the need for a visit to USA before the decision can be made?

If it's you who is driving the idea for a visit, then I suggest you drop the pursuit of a visitor's visa and do some soul searching on whether she's the one for you. If you feel you need to spend a longer continuous amount of time with her before making this important decision, and you can swing some flexibility with your job or finances, then I suggest a longer term visit to Colombia so you can be more sure about her.

We pursued student visas for my wife, prior to our marriage, in both US and Canada. Both were denied because she didn't have ties back to Colombia that would lead the US and Canada immigration authorities to believe that she would return. But in the end, I discovered that I wasn't listening to her close enough. She was comfortable marrying me with or without a visit to the US, beforehand. It was me who was driving the idea of a visitors visa.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to both of you.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The tactics I speak of is the manner of speaking and /or presenting your side, should one be assertive to express one's desires to return. Or is better to be nice

Should you interupt in order to present documents you may feel are relevant. etc.....

If the person doing the interview is on the fence for accepting the visa, they need to be persuaded.

this make part of the process subjective.

Subjectivity can be influenced. And that is part of my question. What tactics work.

Of course honesty needs to be present, but there are manners to convey honesty.

Not everyone enters with the same tactics in mind, some work and other don't. This is an interview of presuasion

Also were there anything we did not think of.

I think that's actually a very good point to ask.

Above all I think she should make sure she's comfortable, the interviewing officers are watching body language just as much as they're listening to answers.

If she's naturally a confidant assertive woman then that's who she should be for her interview.

I think that a part of why I was refused my last B-2 was me going to the interview suited and booted. I'm not naturally the kind of person who wears a suit with ease and I think it showed in my interview with me looking uncomfortable. Next time I'll go smart but casual which is how I normally dress.

As for documents, the interviewing officer isn't obligated to look at any documents at all so shoving piles of paper at them may not have the desired effect. If they want to see something then they'll ask for it. Just remember that her means of paying for the trip or supporting herself on the trip are of very small significance compared to the presumption of immigrant intent. If they ask her who's paying for the trip all she has to say is that her boyfriend is, handing over an I-134 from you (other than being pointless for a non immigrant visa) merely indicates her dependence on a USC and a tie to the States rather than home.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The tactics I speak of is the manner of speaking and /or presenting your side, should one be assertive to express one's desires to return. Or is better to be nice

Should you interupt in order to present documents you may feel are relevant. etc.....

If the person doing the interview is on the fence for accepting the visa, they need to be persuaded.

this make part of the process subjective.

Subjectivity can be influenced. And that is part of my question. What tactics work.

Of course honesty needs to be present, but there are manners to convey honesty.

Not everyone enters with the same tactics in mind, some work and other don't. This is an interview of presuasion

Also were there anything we did not think of.

Do whatever you do when you go to the store to buy a lottery ticket. That is essentially what you are trying to do, win the lottery. If any thing her being a single mom with an autistic son is going to hurt and not help her chances.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

girl friend with son, no job, university student, engaged to an American... The thing she needs to over come is ties back to Colombia, which in the eyes of the officer, she has none... If you two are serious, file a K-1 and have her come here that way.. in the eyes of the officer, she was going to come to the USA marry you, and stay, especially if you provided an I-134...

about the only thing you all can do, if you are really going to get married is jump through the ol' K-1 visa hoops....They will also take a good hard look at her and her son with autism... not to judge, but you NEED to show you are committed to her and her son, and she needs to demonstrate that she wants to really be with you out of love and building a life together no matter what...

I make this comment only because my attorney, who shepherded my K-1 through used to be a consular officer. Though they have rules and regulations to follow, it is highly prejudicial and biased, if they have any doubts what so ever. That being said, keep on keepin' on if you two love each other and want to be together... do the K-1 and document the h e double LL out of every little thing, and that may be your best course of action.

My fiancé has a son with Cerebral Palsy that he is bringing to the US. What exactly to you mean they will take a good hard look at the son. I am able to provide financially for them both. I already have a wheelchair for him a some programs that are not government funded that are waiting for the childs arrival. What hard look and what do we need at the interview so that this is not an issue. I am assuming you have experience. I am almost to the interview phase. I sent him pictures of the wc I bought and a list of foundations that are helping us with his education and therapy. Any help at all. thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I know it is a long shot. But I have spent the last 4 Christmas' in Colombia and would like to spend one here in the US.

She will not graduate until July 2016.

At that time we will probably get a K-1 or soon after

Just wondering if there are any tactics that work in this kind of situation for a B-2

How about instead of wasting time on the visitor visa which (very likely) won't happen, you go the K-1 route as others have suggested? That way the time will actually be going somewhere instead of a void.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.