shsl73

Newly Married

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

10 Days Married....

I'm seeking some advice as I am in the beginning stage(s) of this process and am receiving conflicting information from both legal services and those who have grown through the process. My hope is to attempt to accomplish as much as possible prolonging, better yet eliminiating, legal expenses. With that said here are my questions:

1. I-130 completion: There is a section in which it asks to list children/stepchildren. My husband has children which we want to bring at a later date, that timeframe has not yet been determined, we would like to have a chance to allow him to find employment and become somewhat stable prior to bringing them. What does listing them commit to, if anything? If they are listed and the intent is not to immediately bring them over, am I required to complete a separate form for each and submit with the initial package? If that's the case, is the filing fee then for each petition/form or 1 flat fee (if that make sense).

2. I-864 (AoS) - If our goal is to wait to bring them at a later time, do they still need to be listed on this form.

3. Biometrics form- Are forms required for each petitioner, even if they are minors...and who signs the form?

4. 485 - Free legal consultation advised me to file concurrently which is confusing to me because my spouse is abroad and the form instructions indicates its for those already residing in the U.S., is this form still necessary?

I thought I was fairly intelligent until I began this journey...I am just attempting to complete the documents and submit the package correctly the first time and not become entangled in a spider web of paper chasing, red tape and refiling.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~duplicate posting removed~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same topic~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which Country is he from?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from General Immigration Discussion forum to the CR-1 Process forum, for relevant answers to questions. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 months later...
Timeline

It's been awhile since I first logged on....but I managed to complete all the paperwork (whether its correct or not, I'll have to wait and see). I'm in constant anxiety waiting to hear from the step phase but I did want to take the opportunity to say thank you to those that responded to my questions

At the very least, have an individual who has gone through the process take a look at how you proceed in filling out the forms. These folks can be enormously helpful. Ask around, and rely on these people if you are so fortunate. I wish I had had the benefit of an experienced person. You could also use a legal clinic for advice if you need to be careful with finances.

Timeline

Thank you so much for your response. I have a few people I can lean on (relatives) and ask legal questions. I did consult outside legal advice in the beginning and he assured me that I could manage it myself but could call on him if I needed. He said that from our conversation that he felt confident that I could get through it and if he did it, he would really be taking my money (nice of him). I suppose that I'm just a little anxious because it seems that some are getting a lot faster responses than I for NOA2..even though my case is at CSC. From the stats that I've followed here, it seems that country and date of when the I-30 was mailed in plays a difference. It seems that if one files before the 15th of the month they almost get an approval immediately (30 days or less). That's just by me taking a quick look at some of the timelines. And I've seen timelines where ppl have filed for spouses from the same country and it's taken 7 months or more/more years (but I don't know if there were extenuating circumstances). I've gone out on a limb and called USCIS and the recording tells me that I would be notified by email of approval or next steps...conflicting information here says some get electronic notification (i also have an account with USCIS to check the status), some don't..some call NVC..so I'm not sure what is going happen at this point.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.