16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm preparing the interview questions for my husband to study before his interview. Please let me know if I'm missing any huge or intricate questions that should be included. I've compiled the list from other threads I've seen here on VJ. I'm trying to make the questions catered to our case as I assume they will be? I also assume the bulk of questions will be from all the previous forms. Thank you to anyone who can help me out.

What is your name? (Same question for spouse and write it)

What is your phone number? (Same question for spouse)

Where and when were you born? (Same question for spouse)

What is your address? (Same question for spouse)

Who do you live with? Do you pay rent? (Same question for spouse)

What are your parent's names and jobs? (Same question for spouse)

What do you do for a living? (Same question for spouse)

What is your employment history? (Same question for spouse)

Describe your education history. (Same question for spouse)

Have you travelled before? If so, where? (Same question for spouse)

Have you been issued or denied a United States visa before?

Have you been convicted of any crime? (Same question for spouse)

Do you use drugs? (Same question for spouse)

When and how did you meet your spouse?

Were you looking for an American woman specifically?

How many times did you meet each other in person?

What language do you speak with your spouse?

How much do you communicate with your spouse and how?

When and where did you get married?

Were you married before? (Same question for spouse)

How many people attended your marriage?

Did your spouse's family come to the marriage? Why not?

When and where was the wedding?

When and where was the honeymoon?

Do you and your spouse have any joint accounts or property?

What are your spouse's hobbies?

What does your spouse own?

What do you like about your spouse?

What is her favorite food?

What's the last gift offered to you by your spouse?

Do you have any children? (Same question for spouse)

Do you want children in the future? (Same question for spouse)

Will you work when you get to the USA? What position?

Do you need a social security number (SSN) when you arrive in the USA?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

My wife came over on a K-1 however, the interview should be similar. They don't really ask the questions as the way you have them written. They say tell me about your wedding, who was there, where was it, the date etc. Then they did ask about what she wants to do here, has she met my family? If so, who, when, where etc. Do you get along with his family? A bunch of questions like that. Basically you have to paint the picture of how you met until where you are now. She asked about how I proposed etc. Then they went onto the future and what she would like to do in the US and any children. What has been hard about adjusting was another question that came up.

Also, they didn't really ask about joint anything as we were only married like 3 months before the interview. They didn't ask about spouse hobbies in this interview. The interview at the consulate did ask things like that. Since your on IR1/CR1 everything will probably be combined into one. They are basically asking to see how well they know you and your life.

Filled AOS/AP/EAD: 2014-04-09

Biometrics: 2014-05-08

AOS approved for interview: 2014-06-24

AOS Interview: 2014-07-30, Approved.

GC received: 2014-08-11
ROC Sent: 2016-04-29

ROC packet received at California Service Center: 05-02-16

NOA1 (Received 05-13-16): Letter dated 05-02-16
ROC Biometrics: 2016-06-02

Filed for Re-entry permit: 2016-06-03

Re-entry permit biometrics: 2016-07-14

Re-entry permit approved: 2016-12-07
Re-entry permit received: 2016-12-10, Only got 6 month re-entry permit????
ROC Approved: 2017-02-09

Timeline

Do what you feel is right but don't get him stressed out too much.

If you are in a good relationship with good communications then he should know all these things.

Good luck to you both.

He does know them but it's very different talking to your wife and talking to a consular officer. The language is very formal and he needs to know the framework of how the questions are asked.

My wife came over on a K-1 however, the interview should be similar. They don't really ask the questions as the way you have them written. They say tell me about your wedding, who was there, where was it, the date etc. Then they did ask about what she wants to do here, has she met my family? If so, who, when, where etc. Do you get along with his family? A bunch of questions like that. Basically you have to paint the picture of how you met until where you are now. She asked about how I proposed etc. Then they went onto the future and what she would like to do in the US and any children. What has been hard about adjusting was another question that came up.

Also, they didn't really ask about joint anything as we were only married like 3 months before the interview. They didn't ask about spouse hobbies in this interview. The interview at the consulate did ask things like that. Since your on IR1/CR1 everything will probably be combined into one. They are basically asking to see how well they know you and your life.

I would assume they will speak formally, as most people have documented here. And the interview for an IR-1 / CR-1 visa is indeed different than the K-1. They will be much more specific in my case.

Baby what we have"

Timeline

The interview is the same they just combine the Visa interview and the conditional Greencard into 1 interview. No need to ask all the same questions again.

They will be much more specific in my case.

Just called a friend that's on IR-1/CR-1 and all the questions you have written are asked in both. It's the same specifics asked unless you give them odd answers. Anyways, best of luck

Edited by watdog

Timeline

The interview is the same they just combine the Visa interview and the conditional Greencard into 1 interview. No need to ask all the same questions again.

Just called a friend that's on IR-1/CR-1 and all the questions you have written are asked in both. It's the same specifics asked unless you give them odd answers. Anyways, best of luck

So you're telling me after going through hell and back, we finally have the interview, the most important part of the case, and now I should just be lax and not hold much weight on the interview questions?

I should just feed him to the wolves and tell him, don't worry hun, you already know all this stuff! That's really your recommendation?

Baby what we have"

Timeline

I answered your questions what we went through and the flow of how the questions would be asked. I actually have 3 other friends going through the exact same process as you. You came back with

I would assume they will speak formally, as most people have documented here. And the interview for an IR-1 / CR-1 visa is indeed different than the K-1. They will be much more specific in my case.

No they will be the exact same questions just worded differently as stated above. Not more "specific", you are over thinking this.

You are extremely stressed out about this which raises more questions. Yes, if your spouse is relaxed and knows the answers it is not a big deal. Again, what General Buhari said. Heck my wife even confused them when asked what types of movies I enjoy. But they figured out what she was saying as English is her 4th language.

Best of luck means I'm done with your thread not what you stated.

Timeline

I answered your questions what we went through and the flow of how the questions would be asked. I actually have 3 other friends going through the exact same process as you. You came back with

No they will be the exact same questions just worded differently as stated above. Not more "specific", you are over thinking this.

You are extremely stressed out about this which raises more questions. Yes, if your spouse is relaxed and knows the answers it is not a big deal. Again, what General Buhari said. Heck my wife even confused them when asked what types of movies I enjoy. But they figured out what she was saying as English is her 4th language.

Best of luck means I'm done with your thread not what you stated.

Lol you sure you're done with the thread? I'm also done with your attitude.

Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

No need to bicker, folks.

OP, atop every VJ page are links for "Embassy Info" and "Reviews: Embassy." Click those and read about Tunis. Pay particular attention to the worst stories, because doing so will help you to be prepared.

In addition, go to the Middle East/North Africa regional forum and read everything about Tunisia that you can find.

The consular process is underestimated or overlooked by a staggering number of VJ members. We ourselves got blindsided and thoroughly hosed. You're to be commended for wanting to be prepared. My distinct impression about Tunis is that it's not as bad as many of the other MENA embassies -- with the caveat that I haven't done the type of in-depth research that you're about to do. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Additional thought:

Go here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

and read the various thoughts about the consular phase. There might be some helpful tidbits.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

No need to bicker, folks.

OP, atop every VJ page are links for "Embassy Info" and "Reviews: Embassy." Click those and read about Tunis. Pay particular attention to the worst stories, because doing so will help you to be prepared.

In addition, go to the Middle East/North Africa regional forum and read everything about Tunisia that you can find.

The consular process is underestimated or overlooked by a staggering number of VJ members. We ourselves got blindsided and thoroughly hosed. You're to be commended for wanting to be prepared. My distinct impression about Tunis is that it's not as bad as many of the other MENA embassies -- with the caveat that I haven't done the type of in-depth research that you're about to do. :)

yes i've read all the embassy reviews, and just about as much as i can gather about tunisia from here. thank you for your incredibly helpful response and very good read on your thread of completing your visajourney. it really helped and is inspirational !

Baby what we have"

Timeline

That's nice; thank you.

Another idea is to send PMs to Tunisia members who have recently interviewed but perhaps not posted a review, or to members who have posted a review but might have more to say. See what you get from that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Please let us know how his interview went! Wishing you guys the best of luck!! I am also worried about the questions they will ask my fiancee in the interview. I just told him answer from the heart and if you do not understand the question ask them to repeat it. USA visas are not for the faint of heart, its a stressful situation.

Timeline

That's nice; thank you.

Another idea is to send PMs to Tunisia members who have recently interviewed but perhaps not posted a review, or to members who have posted a review but might have more to say. See what you get from that.

I've also done that but in comparing our situations we do have differences that could affect the outcome. As I'm sure is the same with every case. My main issue is not having a joint sponsor (with NO ability to get one) if the CO decides they don't think I can sponsor him. I did not meet 125% above the poverty guidelines for all three years, only for 2014. 2012 I didn't file taxes because my job was under the table but I have the IRS paper which states non-filing for that year. 2013 I didn't meet the guidelines but for 2014 my job brings in a little over 30k. It's a very sticky situation I'm in and I can only hope he gets a nice CO.

Please let us know how his interview went! Wishing you guys the best of luck!! I am also worried about the questions they will ask my fiancee in the interview. I just told him answer from the heart and if you do not understand the question ask them to repeat it. USA visas are not for the faint of heart, its a stressful situation.

I will definitely do that. Yes, it's not like talking to us! The first time we went to the embassy together when we were preparing for our marriage, he was so nervous and could barely understand what the officer was saying to him because he was speaking so fast and formal.

Baby what we have"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

My fiance had a K1 interview in Marcg, but they asked him:

Where did you meet your fiance

What is her full name

When is her birthday

What are her parents names

Where does she live

Asked about profession

Held up a picture of us together and said....who is this?

My fiance's English is extremely beginning and he didn't have any problem at the interview answering questions.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.