Aarjun

NVC checklist

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I just got a checklist email with this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

______F - FINANCIAL EVIDENCE:______________________________________
We reviewed the Affidavit of Support documentation you sent to the National Visa Center
(NVC). According to the current poverty guidelines, it does not appear you or any of your
sponsors meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrant(s)
for this petition. To avoid delays, you may have an additional sponsor complete an
Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) and provide it to the intending immigrant to submit at
their interview. At that time, a consular officer will make a decision regarding this
requirement.
To view the current poverty guidelines, go to http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf.

I did not work last 3 years and did not file taxes, so didn't have any W2s to show. In i-864, I showed my assets in part 7. I showed $81,000 in a checking account and provided current bank statement as well.

What should I do? Do I really need to use a co-sponsor or should I talk to someone at NVC to sort this out? I thought assets of 3x poverty guidelines was enough, as I am sponsoring my wife and I currently live alone and support myself.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would call NVC and speak with them for advice and what I do is I call again to make sure i get the same answer more than once. The people at NVC don't always give the same advice.

I just got a checklist email with this:

I did not work last 3 years and did not file taxes, so didn't have any W2s to show. In i-864, I showed my assets in part 7. I showed $81,000 in a checking account and provided current bank statement as well.

What should I do? Do I really need to use a co-sponsor or should I talk to someone at NVC to sort this out? I thought assets of 3x poverty guidelines was enough, as I am sponsoring my wife and I currently live alone and support myself.

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage (if applicable): 2014/10/04

I-130 Sent : 2014-11-04

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-11-12

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-26

NVC Received : 2015-04-14

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Send AOS Package : 2015-05-15

Submit DS-261 : 2015-04-23

Receive IV Bill : 2015-05-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-06-10

Send IV Package : 2015-05-15

Completed DS-260: 2015-06-11

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :2015-08-27

Case Completed at NVC : 2015-07-15

Interview Date : September 24, 2015

Interview Result : Administrative Processing

Visa Received : October 15, 2015

US Entry : November 11, 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dear, in order to use assets like bank balance as supplementary income for AOS, you need to count your total household in order to figure out which income threshold poverty line applicable in your case, thereafter you need to calculate 125% of such amount and than multiple by 5 times, for example 15,000 poverty line for two household than calculate 125% like it become 18,750 now apply multiple 5 times its 93,750.

I hope its clear!

Timeline

Dear, in order to use assets like bank balance as supplementary income for AOS, you need to count your total household in order to figure out which income threshold poverty line applicable in your case, thereafter you need to calculate 125% of such amount and than multiple by 5 times, for example 15,000 poverty line for two household than calculate 125% like it become 18,750 now apply multiple 5 times its 93,750.

I hope its clear!

I understand that. Like I mentioned in my first post, I am sponsoring my wife and it requires 3 times the poverty guidelines. It says so on the i-864 form itself.

VGXBHGo.jpg

125% of HHS poverty guideline for a household of 2 (my wife and me) for Kansas (where I live) is $19,912 from http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf(the link they provided in the checklist). This makes the minimum required assets $19,912 x 3 = $59,736. I am showing $20,000 more than that. Or am I not understanding this right?

Edited by Aarjun

Timeline

It's must be 5 times not 3 times!

Are you sure about that? This image is from the i-864 form itself. It clearly says 3 times for spouses and children of USC. That's also the info I got from other people here on VJ.

VGXBHGo.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

5 time of diference between total income of the person which is going to give you AOS and poverty line of the year 2015.

suppose total income of the person is US$ 10,000 and according to poverty line total household income is 19,912 so the difference is 9,912 multiply by 5 (9,912 x 5) = 49,560

in your case your income is zero so 19,912 - 0 = 19,912, multiply by 5, hence it 19,912 x 5 = 99,560, you need to show atleast US$ 99,560 in you bank ro assets!

You can also refer Q and A on AOS!

I hope it's clear and help to figure out the issue!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

It's 3x the difference:

I-864 instructions, part 7, #10, first paragraph:

10. Total Value of Assets.

In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However, if you are a U.S. citizen and your are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. If the intending immigrant is an alien orphan who will be adopted in the United States after the alien orphan acquired permanent residence, and who will, as a result, acquire citizenship under section 320 of the Act, the total value of your assets need only equal the difference.

I would call the NVC and ask to get more clarification. Did you submit a explanation as to why you didn't file your taxes? Did you provide enough proof of your assets? Maybe they don't want to approve because it doesn't appear you have continuing income as you haven't worked the past three years and haven't filed taxes?

USCIS

03/17/2015 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/19/2015 I-130 NOA1 (California)

04/15/2015 I-130 NOA2 (27 days)

NVC

04/29/2015 Case received at NVC

05/07/2015 Case Number, IIN assigned

06/01/2015 DS-261 opened, completed

06/04/2015 AOS fee invoiced, paid

06/11/2015 Email received from NVC notifying of acceptance of DS-261

07/06/2015 IV Fee opened

07/20/2015 IV Fee paid

07/27/2015 DS-260 submitted

07/28/2015 AOS & IV packages mailed together

07/30/2015 Scan date for AOS & IV packages

08/20/2015 CASE COMPLETE

08/26/2015 Case Complete email

08/27/2015 Interview Letter received by email

08/31/2015 Case left NVC, "In Transit" to Consulate

EMBASSY

09/01/2015 CEAC shows "Ready" at Consulate

10/07/2015 Interview (rescheduled from 09/16/2015) - 202 days from NOA1 - 48 days from Case Complete

Timeline

So, I called NVC and they said that they already set an interview date in late August and I will be receiving an email and my spouse will receive a package in mail on how to proceed with the next steps. They might ask for a co-sponsor at the time of the interview and I can disregard the checklist. I don't have to send anything to NVC. I don't understand why they would send a checklist and the customer service rep didn't either. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me during the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.