3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey VJ'ers,

My Wife (woot) has a English spelling error of her first name ,and my step son a spelling error of his lastname on their Russian passports. As a result all documents to date included this error with typed in English. They both hate it and want spelled correctly. Since we are starting AOS can we just start spelling the proper way? or are we going to have to visit USA court system? We discussed with Russia embassy and they told us "not our problem" go away..

Thanks

Visa Received: 2015-03-02 (K1 - See timeline for details)
US Entry: 2015-04-09
POE: Portland, OR
Marriage: 2015-06-20
I-485/I-756 Sent: 2015-06-30
EAD Card Received: 2015-10-02    
I-485 Approval: 2016-01-13
Greencard Received: 2016-01-23

I-751 Filed ROC: 2017-10-18

I-751 Received NOA1 18mo. Extension: 2018-10-16

N-400 Filed Online: 2018-11-25

I-751 Interview/Approval: 2019-05-22

N-400 Interview/Approval: 2019-05-22

Citizenship Oath: 2019-09-21

She should have checked it right after she received her passport back, there has been always a note "contact us if there is incorrect information." Non matching names are no fun, it might take forever for background check, name check later. You best bet is to use proper name from now on, and use wrong name as "name has been used" or alias.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So, the US visas match the misspelling on the Russian passports? You probably should have proven to the consulate that their names in English are spelled wrong on the passports and you would like them spelled correctly on the visas. However, that time has come and gone. If you can somehow get proof of the English spelling of their names that you want them to use, then you could try sending that proof with AOS and listing their names that way in English on the forms. Include an explanation letter about it all. If they will not change it then yes, you will need to get it changed through the court officially.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.