beppykins

Is tax return transcript absolutely necessary for the interview?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The website says

Alert:

The online Get Transcript service is currently unavailable. You may still order transcripts using the Get Transcript by Mail service. We apologize for any inconvenience.

They say you can still order by mail.

You can also call the transcript direct phone number 1-800-908-9946

And the old fashion form way is fill out this paper request http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf

The address for mailing is on the second page. The address depends on your state. They also give fax numbers, according to state, where you can fax in the paper request.

I have ordered all of the above ways.

I know what it says lol. It does not work though. I legit have tried by mail and by phone. The only thing it is letting me receive is my Tax Account Transcript. When I request the Tax Return Transcript it denies me.

I will try sending in that form. I don't know why they wouldn't have directed me to that form if it was an option. They only mention form 4506 as an option.

Edited by beppykins

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure if the W2 is something you keep or have to send in with the tax return.

W2s come with three original versions. Mine were always perforated to tear off the little square you need. The three W2s are for:

1) If you mail in a paper return, one W2 is stapled to the front. Everybody e-files now so that W2 is not mailed in.

2) One W2 goes with the state income tax return. You live in TX, so that W2 would still be around unused as we have no state income tax.

3) One W2 to keep for your records.

But you don't need these until adjustment of status time, so no panic for your interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I know what it says lol. It does not work though. I legit have tried by mail and by phone. The only thing it is letting me receive is my Tax Account Transcript. When I request the Tax Return Transcript it denies me.

I will try sending in that form. I don't know why they wouldn't have directed me to that form if it was an option. They only mention form 4506 as an option.

Interesting. I just picked up the phone and called 1-800-908-9946.

My 2013 and 2014 tax return transcripts "should arrive within 5 to 10 days" according to the robot. Will see if they arrive.

Lots of talking but the basic action prompts were

1) Enter SSN

2) Enter house number of address on the filed return. (what address did Dad use for you?)

3) Enter 2 to order a tax return transcript.

4) Enter 2014 to order 2014 transcript

5) Enter 2 to order same thing for a different year

6) Enter 2013

And there were a few "Enter 1 if this is correct" splashed in there.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

W2s come with three original versions. Mine were always perforated to tear off the little square you need. The three W2s are for:

1) If you mail in a paper return, one W2 is stapled to the front. Everybody e-files now so that W2 is not mailed in.

2) One W2 goes with the state income tax return. You live in TX, so that W2 would still be around unused as we have no state income tax.

3) One W2 to keep for your records.

But you don't need these until adjustment of status time, so no panic for your interview.

Thanks for the clarification! My dad just said he has a copy of my W2 and return. That helps put my mind to rest a bit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I've just used the link posted above to get my 2014 tax transcript. It came in about 4 business days. I was quite surprised at the speed and efficiency after experiencing the lack there of at any stage in the visa process. I would ask your dad what date he filed your income taxes and whether he filed electronically or via snail mail.

Timeline

Interesting. I just picked up the phone and called 1-800-908-9946.

My 2013 and 2014 tax return transcripts "should arrive within 5 to 10 days" according to the robot. Will see if they arrive.

Lots of talking but the basic action prompts were

1) Enter SSN

2) Enter house number of address on the filed return. (what address did Dad use for you?)

3) Enter 2 to order a tax return transcript.

4) Enter 2014 to order 2014 transcript

5) Enter 2 to order same thing for a different year

6) Enter 2013

And there were a few "Enter 1 if this is correct" splashed in there.

Ugh what?! I JUST followed those same prompts this morning. I also just called again to make sure nothing had changed since you got through. After typing 2014 it verified everything and then said, "The copy of your Tax Return Transcript for 2014 cannot be ordered. To select another service, please press 1."

Timeline

I've just used the link posted above to get my 2014 tax transcript. It came in about 4 business days. I was quite surprised at the speed and efficiency after experiencing the lack there of at any stage in the visa process. I would ask your dad what date he filed your income taxes and whether he filed electronically or via snail mail.

####### :( why won't it work for me?? He filed via snail mail. However, I know it's been processed. I viewed my transcript in mid May online because I thought it was something I could download and then print later when I had printer access. When I had printer access a week later, it was no longer available. So I tried "by mail" and it would only allow me to get a Tax Account Transcript.

I ordered my last 3 years tax return transcripts from the IRS website and they arrived about 2 weeks later. Sorry if that doesn't help. :(

Edited by chrismorrison

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think I would call 800-908-9946 which has s the phone number for ordering transcripts and see if you can get a live person on the phone. Ask them why you are having a problem ordering. Good luck to you.

Timeline

I think I would call 800-908-9946 which has s the phone number for ordering transcripts and see if you can get a live person on the phone. Ask them why you are having a problem ordering. Good luck to you.

Yeah I tried all day yesterday to get a person on the phone with no such luck. Even calling my local IRS office didn't work. They want you to email them and set up an appointment to come in person to ask questions...but their hours completely conflict with my work hours.

Yeah I tried all day yesterday to get a person on the phone with no such luck. Even calling my local IRS office didn't work. They want you to email them and set up an appointment to come in person to ask questions...but their hours completely conflict with my work hours.

I think you need to get off the hamster wheel for the following reasons:

1) You do NOT need need any form of tax return for your K1 interview in LONDON. 1000% positive.

2) Your father has your complete tax return you can use for the adjustment of status application after you marry. It is perfectly fine to use a photocopy of that instead of a transcript.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

OP:

You can order a tax transcript using the following the link. I am proof that this can be done, as we ordered one and it was sent rather promptly out a few days later.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript They never stopped offering the order by mail service (which is done by filling out a little online form).

If this link is not working for you (I assure you it works, I just tested it), then it may be something related to your browser or your computer.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

OP:

You can order a tax transcript using the following the link. I am proof that this can be done, as we ordered one and it was sent rather promptly out a few days later.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript They never stopped offering the order by mail service (which is done by filling out a little online form).

If this link is not working for you (I assure you it works, I just tested it), then it may be something related to your browser or your computer.

As I have stated in other comments, it does not work for me. Nor does it work for me over phone, so it has nothing to do with my phone or browser, they just aren't allowing me to order my transcript for some reason.

Timeline

I think you need to get off the hamster wheel for the following reasons:

1) You do NOT need need any form of tax return for your K1 interview in LONDON. 1000% positive.

2) Your father has your complete tax return you can use for the adjustment of status application after you marry. It is perfectly fine to use a photocopy of that instead of a transcript.

Thank you. I did get off the hamster wheel after commenters told me the copy of the tax return + my W2 should work. I'll still send it to my fiance for his interview just in case, but I am definitely hoping it's not even necessary like you said. Edited by beppykins

Timeline

I'm not being slow or doing anything wrong. I legitimately cannot get a transcript. This is what I get when I try online to order it by mail. (I JUST did this, it's a screenshot from my device:

http://imgur.com/mDzpy4Q

When I try over the phone it tells me the exact same thing.

Edited by beppykins

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.