jwyn3150

Honeymoon in U.S. territory (PR)

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We got our NOA2 and started to do some of the planning for the wedding. I have read and got some mixed reviews of going outside of the U.S. for the honeymoon...even to places like Puerto Rico. My question is pretty simple, is there a risk of going to PR....and would you advise agaist it? I am half PR but have never been, so I thought since we can't go anywhere exotic (And Hawaii is too expensive) that we can go to PR for the honeymoon...but now I'm not too sure.

Thanks!

July 2013 - Met in Budapest

July 2014 - Got engaged

K1 Visa - 2015

April 10, sent in I129f

April 15, NOA1

May 27, NOA2

Approved!

August 5th , POE NYC

September 4th, Married! :dancing:

AOS - 2015/2016

October 6th, filed AOS!

January 2nd, EAD and AP Approved!

I'm not sure if it would be a problem going after you're married, but it's always safe to wait for advance parole when flying, takes up to 90 days after you send AOS.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure if it would be a problem going after you're married, but it's always safe to wait for advance parole when flying, takes up to 90 days after you send AOS.

Hmm... I guess it'll be safer to just honeymoon somewhere in one of the states. The logic of why The Virgin islands and PR may require AP or even a green card is lost on me....considering the people there are U.S. citizens.

TL;DR...that sucks.

July 2013 - Met in Budapest

July 2014 - Got engaged

K1 Visa - 2015

April 10, sent in I129f

April 15, NOA1

May 27, NOA2

Approved!

August 5th , POE NYC

September 4th, Married! :dancing:

AOS - 2015/2016

October 6th, filed AOS!

January 2nd, EAD and AP Approved!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm... I guess it'll be safer to just honeymoon somewhere in one of the states. The logic of why The Virgin islands and PR may require AP or even a green card is lost on me....considering the people there are U.S. citizens.

TL;DR...that sucks.

Going over international waters?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

TL;DR...that sucks.

It doesn't. You can travel anywhere in the US, including its territories. You just cannot go on any cruises or plane trips that will land you outside the US or its territories. AP is only needed to re-enter the US, if you leave it. They will need their passport. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/~/needing-a-passport-to-enter-the-united-states-from-u.s.-territories

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Working & Traveling During US Immigration - topic is travel ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can go to PR or any US territories provided that your plane/ship does not stop at any other place outside the US or it's territories.

So for example, if you are taking a trip to PR by ship form Miami, and your ship makes a pit stop in The Bahamas, you are screwed.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Mike-eeh and Odie hit it on the head.

Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. It's not a foreign country. It's the U.S. Why would it be safer not to go there? It's no different than going to Hawaii.

As long as the beneficiary does not leave the U.S., then it's fine. If they fly within the U.S. to Puerto Rico, they would not be leaving the U.S. If traveling by boat, a stop at a non-US port would be considering leaving the U.S.

PR is a possession/territory of the US.

If you fly direct to San Juan and back, there is no issue

Puetro Ricans may be culturally different, but they are all US passport holders.

You can get a glimpse of Puerto Rican culture in NYC on PR parade day

There is no immigration as you are going from and to US territory.

Its like a domestic flight from NY to TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My fiance and I are currently awaiting on NOA2 on a K1. We had considered these locations for our weeding. While it's totally legit to travel to PR or St Thomas if flying directly there and back,I am the type of person that looks at the worse case scenario.

This is totally hypothetical - But let's say you are flying to either one of these locations and the plane is diverted to Nassau. The plane has mechanical issues so you have to deplane. More than likely you will not have your passport since you are traveling to a US territory. What would happen in that case to me as a USC and her having a K1 Visa?

Like I said, it's totally hypothetical but not un-realistic. Anyone ever heard of or know anyone that has experienced something similar? We decided it's not worth the risk but just curious what would happen in this type of situation.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Is going to Maui gonna be an issuse guys? We are doing our honeymoon there but its still the states right?

Hmm, I believe that the island of Maui is part of Maui county in the 50th state of our great country. As long as your trip does not detour, for any reason, onto a non-US territory, you should be fine.

Aloha.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

We decided on Key West, FL for this exact reason. Still in the USA and it's still hot in the winter time! Winning! :-)

Haha that's what we're doing too.

Naturalization Timeline

N-400 app submitted/received: August 22, 2020

Biometric reuse notification: October 22, 2020

Interview Scheduled: November 5, 2020

Interview Date: December 7, 2020 - SUCCESS!

Oath Ceremony mistakenly scheduled (then descheduled!): December 8, 2020

Oath Ceremony Scheduled: December 9, 2020

Scheduled Oath Ceremony: January 8, 2021

ROC Timeline

I-797/NOA 1: January 12, 2018

Biometrics appointment: February 22, 2018

18-month I-797: August 10 2018

AOS Timeline

NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765: November 9, 2015

Biometrics appointment: December 2, 2015

RFE for I-485: December 3, 2015

EAD card and approval notice received: February 16, 2016

2-year conditional Green Card received: March 26, 2016

K-1 Timeline
NOA 1: December 8, 2014
NOA 2: June, 2015

Packet 3 received: July, 2015
Medical: August 12, 2015
Packet 4 received: September 23, 2015
Interview: September 25, 2015
Visa received: October 2, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.