onlineclicker

Paying USCIS fees

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks guys. It's been a few months, but I'm finally ready to send in my I-130 package. Plus, I'm also well prepared for the re-establishing of residency (thanks to you fine people).

But now that I'm putting the finishing touches on my package, I have two questions:

1- Check,

I have a personal check from a US bank with sufficient funds to cover the fees. The problem is my checks don't have my name/address/phone number pre-printed on them as is instructed by USCIS (see * below for the exact text from USCIS that I'm fretting over). My dad has a personal check with his name and my mother's name pre-printed, but not address and phone number. I have a few options, please let me know which you feel is best:

1.1- Write my name, address and phone number on my check which currently has no pre-printed info

1.2- Use my father's checks with his pre-printed name and just adding his phone number and address

1.3- Trying to get my bank to send me checks with the pre-printed required info.

1.4- Have a US friend/relative send me the physical money order via snail mail and then send I in my package (I'd rather not send anyone the package... I worked too hard for this to be messed up by some well intention-ed but not obsessive like me relative)

* Personal checks must be pre-printed with the name of the bank and the account holder. Also, the account holder’s address and phone number must be pre-printed, typed or written in ink on the check. All checks must be typed or written in ink. http://www.uscis.gov/forms/paying-immigration-fees

Can you find an old school type writer and type your information onto your check? That was something we used to do back in the day when we had starter checks or ran out of the pre-printed ones....

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You have two other options:

• Obtain a postal money order for the amount to cover the fee.
  • Obtain a cashier's check from your bank in the amount to cover the fee.

Don't do the typewriter thing, that's not considered preprinted and could result in a check being rejected.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Thanks, the problem is I'm outside the US (I'm an expat, sorry I didn't mention that, now that I look back I should have included that info right at the start of this thread)

I'd go with option 2, dad's check assuming it has the account number pre-printed, and write in address and phone number. USCIS's instructions say that's ok.

Also, the account holder’s address and phone number must be pre-printed, typed or written in ink on the check

Otherwise you're looking at mailing to someone in the US. I did that and it was fine.

IR1 Visa

Service Center: CSC

Marriage: 2011/09/24

Baby girl: 2012/12/31

I-130 Sent: 2015/04/08 - USC filing from abroad

NOA 1: 2015/04/10

NOA 2: 2015/05/20 - 40 days!!

NVC Received: 2015/06/05

Case number assigned: 2015/06/17

Submitted DS-261: 2015/07/05

Paid AOS fee: 2015/07/10

Paid IV fee: 2015/07/27

Submitted via email AOS and IV packets: 2015/07/27

Checklist: 2015/08/05 - for DS-260 was having website difficulties and didn't realise they would review our case in 11 days.

Submitted DS-260: 2015/08/07

Supervisor Review: 2015/09/14 - 38 days after submitted DS-260 and still waiting

Checklist/Email from Supervisor?: 2015/09/18 - for missing police certificate, even though we were suppose to submit directly to the Australian consulate. Emailed them as requested stating that info and called stating that info was told to wait another 30 days for them to respond?!?!?!?! :ranting: At least now I'm in direct email communication with a someone.

Case Complete!! - 2015/09/22 - 110 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.