GabVal

Green Card

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

HI, I have question about POE, is it OK if I'll land at first in NY and write GC/SSN delivery address of other state (CA)? Is there any restrictions or possible issues?

I'm planning to do so for cheap flight and some other reasons, and after a little time I'll go in CA. Will be there any problems or some time delay? Thanks

Edited by GreenUsa

Filed: Other Country: Chile
Timeline

if your experience entering the USA the first time was like my wife's in Atlanta, then I see no way for you to make that Pittsburg flight.

There was two people at the P.O.E. in Atlanta, and we were more than 1 and 1/2 hours (my wife and one other woman).

We almost missed our flight to Columbia, SC, and we had an almost 2 and 1/2 hour layover!

It was a one time experience, but it would seem these POE people have no urgency, or any courtesy! Really I have posted this many times, they were down right rude!

Well I hope I can get that flight, but just to make sure I'll see if a can change the time to a later flight.

I've been reading some experiences entering the US from JFK and most of them are really good. Just read the story of someone who did it all in just 20 minutes from the moment she arrived at the airport. So it's obviously a matter of luck, so I'm optimistic haha.

Well I hope I can get that flight, but just to make sure I'll see if a can change the time to a later flight.

I've been reading some experiences entering the US from JFK and most of them are really good. Just read the story of someone who did it all in just 20 minutes from the moment she arrived at the airport. So it's obviously a matter of luck, so I'm optimistic haha.

Yeah, if you get the BA flight from London that lands around, I think it is, 3 or 3.30pm it is the only flight at that terminal for hours around so you fly through immigration. That one, I've literally walked straight to the customs officer as soon as I've got off the plane and out almost instantly.

But if you land in the morning at a terminal that has many flights landing around the same time ...well like I said, we have also spent 2.5 hours queuing at immigration before.

Depends on your risk tolerance. Remember that many of the cheaper flights give you no refund if you miss the flight.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Is your ELIS status bubble on "optimized" yet?

We got our SSNs about a week and a half after landing but yes it seems not uncommon for people to have to go into a SSA office to register.

Susie,

I'll be landing in JFK this coming Saturday to trigger the GC but I'll be staying for 2 weeks and returning for good in the 1st quarter of 2016. Is it advisable that I go to the SSA office during my 2 week stay to follow up on my SSN being that I'll be in the US for that short time and wouldn't be returning till next year?

Susie,

I'll be landing in JFK this coming Saturday to trigger the GC but I'll be staying for 2 weeks and returning for good in the 1st quarter of 2016. Is it advisable that I go to the SSA office during my 2 week stay to follow up on my SSN being that I'll be in the US for that short time and wouldn't be returning till next year?

Probably, but give it about a week after arriving before you go in, I'd say. We never had issues with ours but enough people have posted about problems that it's probably worth the standing in line to be sure it's in the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you guys I landed on the 27th June and activated my GC (didn't have to go to another room,CBP processed me right at the customs counter) but what's most interesting is I received my SSN in the mail yesterday exactly one week of arriving. Just hope it goes as smoothly for the GC.

Just to update you guys I landed on the 27th June and activated my GC (didn't have to go to another room,CBP processed me right at the customs counter) but what's most interesting is I received my SSN in the mail yesterday exactly one week of arriving. Just hope it goes as smoothly for the GC.

Congratulations and welcome to the U.S.!

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations, where did you landed? In which city?

Was there a "new immigrants" line at your terminal?

I didn't see any such line at the Terminal, the greeter I met said I had to go to the customs counter like everyone else..

I didn't see any such line at the Terminal, the greeter I met said I had to go to the customs counter like everyone else..

Ok, interesting (and lucky!) that you could do it all at the counter then. Some terminals at some airports have specific new immigrant lines so I thought that may have been the reason. Anyway happy it went smoothly for you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, interesting (and lucky!) that you could do it all at the counter then. Some terminals at some airports have specific new immigrant lines so I thought that may have been the reason. Anyway happy it went smoothly for you!

Our POE was at JFK too, but our immigration officer (not Customs - that's where your bags are examined!) did take us to a separate room. We were in Terminal 7 (Cathay Pacific/British Airways). I wonder if, in the year that has passed, they've changed their procedures!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Our POE was at JFK too, but our immigration officer (not Customs - that's where your bags are examined!) did take us to a separate room. We were in Terminal 7 (Cathay Pacific/British Airways). I wonder if, in the year that has passed, they've changed their procedures!

Sukie in NY

I think it's terminal dependent - I've seen some terminals at JFK with new immigrant lines and others not. I get the impression they also sometimes change the lines depending on how busy they are.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.