love4life09

Adopting my filipina stepdaughter

4 posts in this topic

Hello VJers ,

I am beginning a new journey in the adoption of my stepdaughter . She and my wife came here from the Philippines on K1/K2 visas in 2011.

She is a wonderful 9 year old girl and such a blessing to our lives. Currently my wife and daughters are in the Phils visiting family . I wonder

if there are any documents (other than the birth certificate), that my wife should obtain while she is there? Is it true that contacting the estranged biological father is not necessary?

Thanks for all replies,

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the father is in the birth certificate or in the papers of your soon to be daughter I THINK is a need to obtain the father permission or for him to give up the rights on his daughter... did you needed the permission of the father when they migrated???

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

I just finished this process for our 2 boys. Where they married? If they were I am sure you have all the termination documents which you will need. You start the process here in the US and it follows state law so it varies a little state to state. It took about 8-9 months to complete in our state and requires a home inspection/report, Posting in newspapers, and notification sent to PI. We used a lawyer as that we were prepared for a fight (or a payoff request) with the Ex given there is a copy of the petition with all our information sent to him, but no issues.

I paid about a total of 2K. 1.5 for lawyer and another 500.00 for all the court costs and department of social services report. The newspaper and investigation are all court ordered so you don't start any of that before you do the first court part. You do need the last known address of the EX. An added bonus was right after we got the final order of adoption in May, I was able to apply for their US passports and we just received them this month which is one month before their current GC expires so no ROC required based on our timing as they went right from conditional GC to US citizens as soon as the Order was signed. My wife still has to wait to apply for citizenship later this year.

Finished!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation. I am looking at adopting my K2 daughter. Her biological father back in the Philippines has numerous children with multiple women & has not been a part of her life since before her 2nd birthday. I have been the sole provider for her for the past 7 years. My wife filed a presumptive of death / abandonment to terminate her marriage & The Philippine Government awarded her judgement & terminated her marriage, which allowed for us to process our K1 visa paperwork. They have been here for 3 years now & my daughter only knows me & wants to share our last name. Not looking to work with any lawyers as we were burned a couple times with them on the AOS processing. Any help with the adoption process steps would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Kind Regards,

Bill

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.