Twyla and Chris

Proof of relationship issue

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello I'm sorry I'm sure there are a ton of various questions related to this but I was hoping for some direction on this matter.

My fiance and I began our relationship in the summer of 2011. We have been back and forth visiting multiple times and then in the summer of 2013 he moved here on a study permit and then lived with me until the end of 2014 when he went back to the US. In my mind that is all the proof of relationship we require, his study permit and transcripts showing the course he finished. However its mentioned they require photographs. In the first couple years of our relationship we took many pictures of us together but particularly after he moved in with me we really didn't think about doing it. So our most recent photo of us together is over two years old. I was even there visiting him in March and I never even thought that I'd need more recent pictures to file. I will be visiting again in July but we really want to send in the petition before that. Trust me I'll be taking a thousand of them to take to the interview haha.

So I was thinking for the explanation of 'how we met' I would give an outline of our relationship and our visits and talk about how we lived together in Canada, show boarding passes from my trip in March and show that I have a trip booked for July. I would also include the older photographs of us together detailing that we just don't currently have anything newer. I can't even really lie about the dates as both of us have gained weight since those photos so you can tell they are older haha.

Do you guys thing this will be sufficient? Thank you so much for your time and help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, pictues are secondary evidence anyway, passport stamps are also good

You can include any boarding passes and passport stamps you have from the entire span of your relationship

Edited by Kastrs
Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello I'm sorry I'm sure there are a ton of various questions related to this but I was hoping for some direction on this matter.

My fiance and I began our relationship in the summer of 2011. We have been back and forth visiting multiple times and then in the summer of 2013 he moved here on a study permit and then lived with me until the end of 2014 when he went back to the US. In my mind that is all the proof of relationship we require, his study permit and transcripts showing the course he finished. However its mentioned they require photographs. In the first couple years of our relationship we took many pictures of us together but particularly after he moved in with me we really didn't think about doing it. So our most recent photo of us together is over two years old. I was even there visiting him in March and I never even thought that I'd need more recent pictures to file. I will be visiting again in July but we really want to send in the petition before that. Trust me I'll be taking a thousand of them to take to the interview haha.

So I was thinking for the explanation of 'how we met' I would give an outline of our relationship and our visits and talk about how we lived together in Canada, show boarding passes from my trip in March and show that I have a trip booked for July. I would also include the older photographs of us together detailing that we just don't currently have anything newer. I can't even really lie about the dates as both of us have gained weight since those photos so you can tell they are older haha.

Do you guys thing this will be sufficient? Thank you so much for your time and help.

The how we met statement is seriously just a few sentences on how you met. Not an account of your relationship. "He came to Canada on a study visa and we ran into each other at a coffee shop. We continued to meet up for coffee and from there formed our relationship"

Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts are the best evidence. Pictures are secondary to those, they'll help you during the visa interview. It isn't neccesary to include them now, but of course you can. It's best to scan them on paper and write location and dates. You can also write locations and dates on the back of the originals and just put them in a ziplock bag and send that in. Do not send them in a photo album, it will be sent back and you'll get an RFE.

You are more than prepared on the relationship and evidence side of things. Get on that paperwork.

Edited by Shauneg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

I only had about 3 pictures with my SO cause I'm just not a big fan of pictures and they were all from the same day...I just sent phone logs (highlighted) passport stamps, travel itinerary, boarding pass and snippets of chat conversation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Proof of meeting in person within the 2 years prior to meeting is what is required for the I-129F petition, not proof of having a relationship. Photos are secondary and used to back up any primary evidence, so just use the documentation you have to prove you were together in person. Show the proof he was there attending school(transcripts, passport stamp, copy of visa), and any proof you have of living together, receipts from using debit card/ATMs, bank and credit card statements showing purchases in the location you both claim to have been together, etc.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

All I had put was that we met online in 2010, then met in person May 2013, and then listed the dates of the next times he came and stayed with me at my house, which were about 7 in total I believe, usually a week long each time. Other than that I just had photo copies of some of his ticket stubs, but not even the ones from May 2013. I believe I did have one or two pictures, one of us at my aunts house last July for my mom's b-day and one of us after we got engaged. No RFE or anything.

As for pictures being secondary, pictures of them together is actually the best proof as they're clearly physically together. Either way, if he lived with you then he should have been on the lease either as someone who lives there just listed or someone who signed the lease as well. Anything you guys may have had together. If your address is still the same address that he claims that he lived at in the past (because they'll ask past addresses), then that should help too.

You should be fine though if you can at least prove he lived with you.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

All I had put was that we met online in 2010, then met in person May 2013, and then listed the dates of the next times he came and stayed with me at my house, which were about 7 in total I believe, usually a week long each time. Other than that I just had photo copies of some of his ticket stubs, but not even the ones from May 2013. I believe I did have one or two pictures, one of us at my aunts house last July for my mom's b-day and one of us after we got engaged. No RFE or anything.

As for pictures being secondary, pictures of them together is actually the best proof as they're clearly physically together. Either way, if he lived with you then he should have been on the lease either as someone who lives there just listed or someone who signed the lease as well. Anything you guys may have had together. If your address is still the same address that he claims that he lived at in the past (because they'll ask past addresses), then that should help too.

You should be fine though if you can at least prove he lived with you.

Paragraph 7c of the I129F instructions clearly states that you must submit proof that you've met in the last 2 years. Pictures together don't establish that you met within past 2 years, other evidence is for that, pictures together only establish the fact that you have been together. That's why it's considered secondary, you would get a RFE if you sent only those. Conversely if you sent only passport stamps for that country or boarding passes you would get accepted as they are date stamped and established within the two year rule, they will assume as you met that person during the time on that proof because you've signed a written statement when you two met.

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

Thanks so much for your responses I think I know what I'm doing now. My fiance and I disagreed on the definition of 'met'. I thought it meant the circumstances around which we began our relationship and he figured it meant the circumstances around which we met in person (I guess for some people they would be the same. From your responses it sounds like I was right. I'll just write how we met online and attach all the documents discussed above.

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks so much for your responses I think I know what I'm doing now. My fiance and I disagreed on the definition of 'met'. I thought it meant the circumstances around which we began our relationship and he figured it meant the circumstances around which we met in person (I guess for some people they would be the same. From your responses it sounds like I was right. I'll just write how we met online and attach all the documents discussed above.

Thanks again!

Write that you met online on whatever date and then describe how you met in person. They are concerned with the meeting in person requirement for the I-129F, so don't skip over that. That is the most important thing to state and send evidence of.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

The how we met statement is seriously just a few sentences on how you met. Not an account of your relationship. "He came to Canada on a study visa and we ran into each other at a coffee shop. We continued to meet up for coffee and from there formed our relationship"

Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts are the best evidence. Pictures are secondary to those, they'll help you during the visa interview. It isn't neccesary to include them now, but of course you can. It's best to scan them on paper and write location and dates. You can also write locations and dates on the back of the originals and just put them in a ziplock bag and send that in. Do not send them in a photo album, it will be sent back and you'll get an RFE.

You are more than prepared on the relationship and evidence side of things. Get on that paperwork.

Are you serious about the photo album? I just sent my application. I have all the proof necessary, such as boarding passes, hotel receipts, passport exit/entry stamps and etc.... But I also included a separate photo album of 153 pictures so are you sure I would get an RFE? Man I wish I had seen this post earlier.

Timeline

Dead serious they scan everything into their system. They aren't going to take everything out and put it back in for you. They're going to send it back. People think they're doing those guys a favor but you're doing them a diservice. I realize you didn't know. Same thing thing with the petition package. They sort that stuff out and scan and organize it it they way the want, so loose or clipped is the best way. It's your case but why would you send so many pictures? That's crazy...they just want proof you met in person the last two years not a history of the relationship...that's what the embassy is for.

Anyway long story short they're going to send it back.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Dead serious they scan everything into their system. They aren't going to take everything out and put it back in for you. They're going to send it back. People think they're doing those guys a favor but you're doing them a diservice. I realize you didn't know. Same thing thing with the petition package. They sort that stuff out and scan and organize it it they way the want, so loose or clipped is the best way. It's your case but why would you send so many pictures? That's crazy...they just want proof you met in person the last two years not a history of the relationship...that's what the embassy is for.

Anyway long story short they're going to send it back.

Ok so my understanding is theyre just going to send it back and its not going to be an RFE. I mean it shouldn't delay my process.

Timeline

Thanks again!

We just recently got an RFE because I said we met online but didn't specify where. The RFE seemed to indicate that saying "we met online" without giving them the details and the URL causes them to think that maybe you used an international marriage broker and are trying to hide it.

So do tell them where you met online, and give them the URL. I've read posts from people that don't want to do that, for whatever reason, and I get that it's definitely squirm-worthy for some folks and/or feels like an unnecessary invasion of privacy. But personally I'd much rather give them the info and NOT get an RFE, than withhold it and potentially deal with a delay.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I've heard about RFE's when just saying "we met online" too. I stated the name of the website and printed out the terms and conditions to prove that it's not an IMB - just to be safe!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.