9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great day to everyone!

I need advise if I am on the right track on the next steps I'm about to take with USCIS.

Here's my situation. I got Naturalized May 2015, and so I would want to have my parents and sister live with me here. Parents are married and both aged 56, sister turned 17 years old this month (June 2015).

I understand that I would need to apply Form I-130 for IR-5 Visa for my parents, does any one know what would be the timeline for that?

At the same time, the main reason I am petitioning them is I want my baby sister to get here before her age lapses. Some of my friends say that 18 years old is the age limit, and I told them it's 21 years old.

What would be the fastest way for her to get here; do I petition her along with my parents' (what visa category will she fall under), or do I petition my parents first & once they get their Permanent Residence they would petition her under F-2 Category?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Imee

AOS

Sept. 08, 2011 - Packet Mailed through USPS

Sept 12, 2011 - Packet received by USCIS

Sept. 14, 2011 - Emails & Text Notifications received from USCIS

Sept. 20, 2011 - NOAs in mail received (both dated Sept. 13, 2011)

Oct. 12, 2011 - USCIS Notification: Case transferred to another office

Oct. 20, 2011 - Boimetrics Appointment Scheduled on Nov. 17, 2011

Nov. 17, 2011 - Biometrics

Nov. 18, 2011 - E-mail received: EAD Card in production

Nov. 28, 2011 - EAD Card received

Dec. 05, 2011 - E-mail received: GreenCard in production :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

About a year for Parents and then they could petition her.

You can also petition her, F4. For this one age does not matter nor if she is single or married, but it is a looong wait.

Quite how long it would take for her to get to the US is difficult to say, depends is he ages out, once she hits 21 you can add 10 years to the process. If she marries then she would need to wait for her Parents to naturalise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

IR5 for parents will take more or less a year to complete. Once parent is in the US, he/she can file i130 for their kid. The child will be under the F2A category with a processing time of more or less 2 years. Marriage will void the F2A petition so advice to stay single the entire time.

Chances of aging out (turning 21) depends on a lot of factors like: date of birth, priority date, approval date, date priority date became current.

Be proactive and file for the parents ASAP.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

F4 is Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens, I don't think marriage would lengthen her process as it would if she is petition via parents. Also, is it possible to have two petitions in i.e. one via parents and one via siblings?

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

F4 sibling to sibling petition for Philippines takes 24 YEARS to complete. No sense waiting that long. Lol. That's why they have to move fast. Once the child hits 21, it may turn to another 10 year wait via F2B category.

LPR parents cannot petition for married children so if she marries before parents turn USC that will void the petition, either F2A or F2B.

F3 married children of USC for Philippines takes more or less 20 years, so think about that as well.

And finally, yes, multiple petitions can be filed for one person as "insurance".

Timeline

Awesome! You guys are awesome! Thank you for the info!

AOS

Timeline

If things go well your sister should be able to get in before she hits 21. She has a bit of spare time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thank you! I plan to get them Tourist Visas by July so they can come here anytime, then upon approval (hopefully by August) I will file for their I-130. I understand that I file one for each parent, when sending these, can I just mail them in one packet?

Also, anyone knows a checklist to send along their I-130?

Ims

AOS

Timeline

you do not get them, if they want to visit, they apply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.