shellymarie

SOME QUESTIONS (BRAZIL)(After NOA2)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

hahaha that's so cool that you're following my journey. I will definitely be sure to update as much as possible. What do you think you're going to get an RFE for?

I believe, from what's written, that after being contacted by the embassy, your fiance and you can register with the asc site and schedule the visa interview. Remember to choose a date when your fiance has all the documents he needs and also gone through with the medical part.

I wish I could help with a definitive answer but with the changes it seems like you'll be the first one who will experience scheduling yourself. I'm following your timeline and glued to your posts (if you haven't noticed!), and still waiting my noa2 (think I'm might get a rfe).

Best of luck and keep us posted, please

what's that???? (traducao juramentada) :huh2::huh2: :huh2:

One thing I'm in doubt is the "traducao juramentada" document they ask for k1 applicants.

It's not clear if it needs to be "autenticada" or just filled and signed. Or because it's "juramentada" it needs to be filled and sign in front of the co.

Matt & Mish

:) 12/25/13 "Met" online (Instagram)

(L) 5/29/14 Became a couple

:wub: 2/4/15 First meeting in person (I spent almost 3 weeks in Brazil!)

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

6/27/15 Case received & case number assigned

6/30/15 Case shipped to Embassy in Rio

EMBASSY:

7/6/15 Case received by Embassy

7/20/15 Received "packet 3" email

9/18/15 Medical exam

9/29/15 Interview-APPROVED!!!

(F)"Every love story is beautiful; but ours is my favorite" (F)

Timeline

I just did a quick google translation for this...if I'm correct and you're referring to a translation of the documents? a couple of the replies to my post said they brought all their stuff to the interview without being translated and had no problem. If you found instructions stating otherwise, please let me know!! :)

Thanks!

One thing I'm in doubt is the "traducao juramentada" document they ask for k1 applicants.

It's not clear if it needs to be "autenticada" or just filled and signed. Or because it's "juramentada" it needs to be filled and sign in front of the co.

Edited by shellymarie

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

I just did a quick google translation for this...if I'm correct and you're referring to a translation of the documents? a couple of the replies to my post said they brought all their stuff to the interview without being translated and had no problem. If you found instructions stating otherwise, please let me know!! :)

Thanks!

I meant to write "declaracao juramentada", which is on the list of documents needed http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/mobile/pt/fiancee2.html Translated it would mean sworn statement (or something like that). I'm unsure if the applicant needs to fill and sign before the interview, take it to a "cartorio" and get it "autenticado", where someone attests that signature is the real deal (notarized?). Or it only needs to be filled and signed and handed at the interview, or even if it's supposed to be filled and signed in front of the co.

As for the other documents, if they are in Portuguese or in English, they're good to go.

Oh, the rfe will be probably because we just stated we "met online" at first and not giving much detail on the online meeting. I've seen quite a few April filers getting rfe for that, uscis thinking it was through an imb. We did document our visits in person and I think it should be sufficient, but I rather be prepared and expect for the worst. Lol.

Edited by Anapr

Timeline

ohhhh got it! I've read many times here on this site (VJ) that nothing is ever required to be notarized throughout this whole process. So, I think it's safe to say it's ok to sign it in front of the CO and not have it notarized. I have been searching online since you mentioned it and i finally found something (on a different site) that said it shouldn't be signed until in front of the CO. But maybe someone else can confirm that for sure.

Fingers crossed that you get through without an RFE. But as you said, a looottt of RFEs have been given this month for that very reason (unfortunately!) Keep me updated!!

I meant to write "declaracao juramentada", which is on the list of documents needed http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/mobile/pt/fiancee2.html Translated it would mean sworn statement (or something like that). I'm unsure if the applicant needs to fill and sign before the interview, take it to a "cartorio" and get it "autenticado", where someone attests that signature is the real deal (notarized?). Or it only needs to be filled and signed and handed at the interview, or even if it's supposed to be filled and signed in front of the co.

As for the other documents, if they are in Portuguese or in English, they're good to go.

Oh, the rfe will be probably because we just stated we "met online" at first and not giving much detail on the online meeting. I've seen quite a few April filers getting rfe for that, uscis thinking it was through an imb. We did document our visits in person and I think it should be sufficient, but I rather be prepared and expect for the worst. Lol.

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

I had no clue about these changes, I was definitely taking into account my experience back in March, 2015.

Nothing needs to be certified by local registry (Please keep in mind I am talking about the Statement. Copies of BC, for instance, should be certified IN CASE you don't have the original BC with you and any other documents they request original + copy). At least for me I didn't have to sign this statement (Available on their website) in front of the CO. The only thing you sign during the interview is another statement reinforcing that you know you have to get married within 90 days upon your entry, however it was something he gave to me there and it's not available on the website.

The sworn translation should refer to documents in another language other than portuguese or english. If any other language it needs to be translated by a sworn translator and the Embassy provides the list: http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/pt/translators.html).As I mentioned before we need our bc translated for the AOS anyways.

Timeline

Yeah the changes were so recent, I even forgot that I read those instructions until Anapr mentioned it! rtor, your instructions were perfect based on your experiences!!

As far as the certified thing...i think Anapr is talking about this form: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/164149/pdfs/SwornStatement.pdf

did you have to sign one of these (before your interview)? If so, then I guess that answers Anapr's question as to whether or not it has to be signed in front of the CO, and we know for sure it doesn't have to be certified since (as you said) you didn't have to have anything certified (not talking about the BC or anything like that, just the general forms).

I had no clue about these changes, I was definitely taking into account my experience back in March, 2015.

Nothing needs to be certified by local registry (Please keep in mind I am talking about the Statement. Copies of BC, for instance, should be certified IN CASE you don't have the original BC with you and any other documents they request original + copy). At least for me I didn't have to sign this statement (Available on their website) in front of the CO. The only thing you sign during the interview is another statement reinforcing that you know you have to get married within 90 days upon your entry, however it was something he gave to me there and it's not available on the website.

The sworn translation should refer to documents in another language other than portuguese or english. If any other language it needs to be translated by a sworn translator and the Embassy provides the list: http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/pt/translators.html).As I mentioned before we need our bc translated for the AOS anyways.

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Hi,

Yeah, that's exactly what I mentioned before: The Statement. I just signed at home and gave to the person who collected my documents. To be honest I notarized it but there is no need at all (I just did because I was sooo nervous and etc). They just collect it and during your interview the CO just makes you sign something else (NOT the same document) and he explains that it's just to make sure you know you need to get married in 90 days and etc. To be honest I definitely don't know why they request this Statement if you sign something else in front of the CO, but that's how it is! :)

Timeline

Hahahaha that's funny! Yeah it doesn't make sense...I think they just like making us nervous :rofl:

So...Anapr, rtor has clarified for us! As long as it's signed, it doesn't have to be certified!

Thanks again everyone! :luv:

Hi,

Yeah, that's exactly what I mentioned before: The Statement. I just signed at home and gave to the person who collected my documents. To be honest I notarized it but there is no need at all (I just did because I was sooo nervous and etc). They just collect it and during your interview the CO just makes you sign something else (NOT the same document) and he explains that it's just to make sure you know you need to get married in 90 days and etc. To be honest I definitely don't know why they request this Statement if you sign something else in front of the CO, but that's how it is! :)

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Hi,

Yeah the changes were so recent, I even forgot that I read those instructions until Anapr mentioned it! rtor, your instructions were perfect based on your experiences!!

As far as the certified thing...i think Anapr is talking about this form: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/164149/pdfs/SwornStatement.pdf

did you have to sign one of these (before your interview)? If so, then I guess that answers Anapr's question as to whether or not it has to be signed in front of the CO, and we know for sure it doesn't have to be certified since (as you said) you didn't have to have anything certified (not talking about the BC or anything like that, just the general forms).

Thanks both of you. Since they don't mention the sworn statement on their pdf instructions, that was not clear to me.

I'm getting a new birth certificate (2 via) just to be safe and having it translated by a certified translator and notarized as well to bring to the U.S. and use it for the aos.

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, let's go. I just had my interview in march this year:

2. Yes, reports can be gathered online and that's how I did. I mention that in Brazil some States do not have an online option and the applicant should get it from the police site or whatever. I assume your fiancé can get it online and if so it's perfect, no problem at all. Usually the Federal Report expires in 90 days and State Report in 6 or 4 months. I got all my reports a week before the interview or closer. To be safe just get a little bit before because we never know if we will have system glitches or stuffs like that. Once you get them online you don't need to do anything about it, they have verification codes and they can check it's legitimacy.

The police certificates although valid in Brazil for 30 or 90 days are accepted by the Consulate for one year. I presented expired Santa Catarina and Paraná certificates (only valid for 30 days) - but within 1 year of the date of issue - with no problem at all.

From their site:

Certificados de Policia

Todos os solicitantes de visto maiores de 18 anos terão que apresentar o Certificado de Policia Federal e Certificado de Policia Estadual de todos os estados que tenham morado por mais de 6 meses nos últimos 5 anos. O certificado estadual aceito pelo governo americano é o emitido pela Secretaria de Segurança Pública do Estado. Os certificados emitidos pelo Poder Judiciário ou por cartório não são aceitos de forma alguma.

Observações:

O Distrito Federal não emite o certificado aceito pelo setor de imigração do consulado. Neste caso, quem residir no DF, somente terá que apresentar o certificado de Polícia Federal, e se residiu em outros estados no Brasil nos últimos 5 anos, terá que apresentar também os demais certificados como explicado acima.

Consideramos os certificados válidos por um ano, a partir da data de sua emissão.

Caso o solicitante tenha morado no exterior, consulte no nosso site o acordo de reciprocidade para saber de quais países terá que apresentar os certificados. Clique aqui (em inglês) para saber o tipo de certificado aceito de cada país.

Timeline

Thank you so much for this information! great to know!! :)

The police certificates although valid in Brazil for 30 or 90 days are accepted by the Consulate for one year. I presented expired Santa Catarina and Paraná certificates (only valid for 30 days) - but within 1 year of the date of issue - with no problem at all.

From their site:

Certificados de Policia

Todos os solicitantes de visto maiores de 18 anos terão que apresentar o Certificado de Policia Federal e Certificado de Policia Estadual de todos os estados que tenham morado por mais de 6 meses nos últimos 5 anos. O certificado estadual aceito pelo governo americano é o emitido pela Secretaria de Segurança Pública do Estado. Os certificados emitidos pelo Poder Judiciário ou por cartório não são aceitos de forma alguma.

Observações:

O Distrito Federal não emite o certificado aceito pelo setor de imigração do consulado. Neste caso, quem residir no DF, somente terá que apresentar o certificado de Polícia Federal, e se residiu em outros estados no Brasil nos últimos 5 anos, terá que apresentar também os demais certificados como explicado acima.

Consideramos os certificados válidos por um ano, a partir da data de sua emissão.

Caso o solicitante tenha morado no exterior, consulte no nosso site o acordo de reciprocidade para saber de quais países terá que apresentar os certificados. Clique aqui (em inglês) para saber o tipo de certificado aceito de cada país.

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

• 1 month later...
Timeline

This has been pretty helpful for us as well...so based on what you wrote, we should fill out the DS-160 even if the consulate has not received the application from the NVC? In our case the NVC says it has sent the application so it should be arriving soon, we are trying to have everything we can ready prior to that and this part has had us wondering for days if we should fill it out or not before we received the letter from the consulate (Packet 3)

Thanks in Advance...

Hi, let's go. I just had my interview in march this year:

1. Your fiancé is brazilian, right? If so I assume all his documents are in portuguese and if so, NO translation at all is necessary for the interview. As you read documents in english OR portuguese doesn't require any translation. However there is a tip thinking ahead: Birth certificate must be translated into english for the Adjustment of Status NOT K1 Interview.

2. Yes, reports can be gathered online and that's how I did. I mention that in Brazil some States do not have an online option and the applicant should get it from the police site or whatever. I assume your fiancé can get it online and if so it's perfect, no problem at all. Usually the Federal Report expires in 90 days and State Report in 6 or 4 months. I got all my reports a week before the interview or closer. To be safe just get a little bit before because we never know if we will have system glitches or stuffs like that. Once you get them online you don't need to do anything about it, they have verification codes and they can check it's legitimacy.

3. After NOA2 (I would say 15 days to be safe) you can call NVC and get your case number which will start with RDJ. To provide you the case number they will ask your USCIS receipt number, your and beneficiary dob. You don't need the RDJ number to fill out the DS 160. While filling the DS you will be asked the case number and you can add your USCIS receipt number, there is no problem at all with it and people are used to do so. In Brazil we DO NOT schedule the interview, they will assign you a date and send you the date and further instructions (Portuguese and English) for you and the beneficiary, so you can fill the DS-160 whenever you want BEFORE your interview of course. Later on the beneficiary SHOULD receive an interview letter at her residency (I say SHOULD because sometimes they never get this letter due to delivery issues and etc, however it's NOT a problem). My letter got at my house something like 2 weeks and a half after they contacted me via e-mail. The letter itself has nothing different from the e-mail they sent you, except the fact they add the visa type or something like that (We know it's K1 but they call K1-BRL). DS-260 is not an online form, it's a paper form that you fill PART 1 and take with you to the interview, nothing else. Some people say you need to sign the form there but you can sign before (I completely forget to sign mine and they didn't ask me too so I gave them a no signed form and everything went fine).

4. In Brazil we don't pay anything related to K1 online, the fee (260USD if I am not mistaken - They will let you know). Everything will be collected there before your interview. It's one fee.

5. Medical: I don't know where the beneficiary will have his medical done (RJ, MG, SP or Brasília), however it's not recommended to schedule your medical appointment until you know your interview date because they will ask you when it's going to be and additionally they basically control everything according to your interview date (When is the best moment to send the records to the Embassy..The Embassy puts all the records together as well according to interview dates). Once you know when your interview will be you can call the doctor officer and you will receive instructions by email (At least here in Rio). Everything is simple and straight forward: You will know what shots you need and exams as well (VDRL and Lung X-Ray for K1) and they need to be taken BEFORE the interview but everything can be done in the same day. Generally people who travel for their medical appointment have the x-ray and VDRL done at the same day of their interview. Usually people take care of their shots before and for free (dT, Influenza, Varicella* and MMR) - Varicella* is not for free for adults, however if had chicken pox before you don't need the shot (I don't know if other doctors request proofs but not in Rio). If you have all your previous records proving you took MMR, dT and Varicella you don't need to worry about it, however I guess that dT needs to be reinforced (Not sure, please check with the doctor). Influenza is the current year one. I know that in Brazil they just started the 2015 shots. When I had my appointment they didn't have the 2015 influenza and he just checked it was not the season for that shot and everything was fine. Exams and shots are not handled at the doctor officer (At least in RIO). The instructions will describe where you need to have your exams (Again, talking about RIO) and shots you can take wherever you want, you just need the records. The truth behind it is that the vaccination is NOT a K-1 requirement but required for the AOS. If you don't have any shot you will get your K1 (Of course if approved), however he will give you the paper as INCOMPLETE and you will need to take care of it in the States before the AOS (I recommend taking it in Brazil since it's free* - Except varicella). I like to highlight that the varicella shots are generally taken in 2 doses and depending where it's taken the second dose (Reinforcement) is taken 3 months after the first one (I went to Prophylaxis Lab and second dose was taken 1 month after the first one - 150 BRL each dose).

6. Interview you need 2 passport style pictures (Oh Gosh, 2 or 3? I forgot but you can check the instructions online as well) and medical appointment we don't need passport style pictures but 3x4 (Smaller) and I don't remember exactly how many but I guess we need 6. Generally when we take 3x4 pictures it comes on a 8 pictures combo so you will be fine!

Edited by JC&TD

Timeline

Hello! My fiance ended up submitting the DS-160 before our stuff even left NVC. So far...no problems lol I don't know if you are "supposed to" fill it out before then, since the instructions in the "packet 3" email tells you to fill out the DS-160...but I don't see why it would be an issue. If you feel more comfortable, you can just fill the whole thing out and wait to submit it until you get the email from the embassy (the DS-160 can be retrieved up to 30 days after filling it out, so you can fill it out now and submit it later).

The email from the embassy isn't really anything though...it's basically just telling you they received your application and it's "ok" to go online and schedule your interview now. I went on a few weeks ahead of time and created an account for the interview scheduling website. I think you can even pay the fee ahead of time (it can be used for up to a year after it's paid)...just DO NOT schedule your interview until you get the email from the embassy.

Also...it can be a week or 2 after the CEAC tracker says "ready" before you actually get the email, so don't worry (I think mine took 16 days from the date my status changed to ready).

Best of luck! :)

Edited by shellymarie

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

lol! that is too funny! now you dont have to worry! just go ahead and do everything :) congrats!

Thanks for the comments! The consulate must of been watching this forum because I just received the email from them that they received the application from the NVC!!! hehe

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.