shellymarie

SOME QUESTIONS (BRAZIL)(After NOA2)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Everyone! I received my NOA2 last week and I'm doing everything I can now for the next steps...but I have some questions (mainly for those of you that have already gone through the interview process). Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

1. Does everything (birth certificate, police reports etc.) actually need to be translated? I read the instructions on the embassy website and it says if it's in any language BESIDES English OR Portuguese, that it would need to be translated into English...but from what I've read on here, people have gotten their stuff translated........Has anyone NOT had their stuff translated and been OK??
  2. As far as the police reports...again I read the instructions, I just want to make sure because of stuff I've read on here where people say the reports have expiration dates, they have to wait for copies etc...My fiance was able to get both types of police reports (Federal and State) online. I'm pretty sure the Embassy instructions say that's ok, but I just wanted to double check since I haven't really seen anyone else post that they have gotten theirs that way. Has anyone else used online printed police reports??
  3. Can someone give me a general idea of the steps after NOA2? (I've read the guidelines and the instructions on the Embassy site...but I'm always so nervous that I'm going to accidentally miss something. So far I know that...Once I get the case number, my fiance can fill out the DS160? But then what? Can we schedule the interview as soon as that's done? If not, when can we schedule it? And...how do we schedule the interview? Will the "packet 4" email come automatically, or not until the DS160 has been filled out? What about the DS260? When does that get filled out?
  4. Are there fees for the DS160 and DS260? If so, do we pay them online when filling out the forms, or pay them at the Embassy the day of the interview?
  5. I'm also a little confused about the medical exam process. How far in advance should we call to schedule that? Also, my fiance is going to get an updated record of his vaccines. So...he takes this to the medical appointment? And the doctor will tell him which vaccines he still needs to have? If so, does he get them there the same day along with everything else? I thought I read that some people had 2-part exams, but I'm not really sure.

Sorry for all the questions! I really thought I had everything in order, but sometimes I look too much into things and now I feel completely overwhelmed. I really appreciate your help!

Matt & Mish

:) 12/25/13 "Met" online (Instagram)

(L) 5/29/14 Became a couple

:wub: 2/4/15 First meeting in person (I spent almost 3 weeks in Brazil!)

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

6/27/15 Case received & case number assigned

6/30/15 Case shipped to Embassy in Rio

EMBASSY:

7/6/15 Case received by Embassy

7/20/15 Received "packet 3" email

9/18/15 Medical exam

9/29/15 Interview-APPROVED!!!

(F)"Every love story is beautiful; but ours is my favorite" (F)

Timeline

Forgot one...lol

6. How many "passport syle" photos are actually needed in total? Unless I was dreaming (lol), I thought I read somewhere that TEN passport syle pics are needed for teh medical? But then I read somehwere else that only two are needed for the medical, and then of course, two more for the interview?

Edited by shellymarie

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

First of all, shellymarie, take some deep breaths. You're going to be fine.

I did my K1 in 2013, so I don't remember certain details. Besides, the process might have changed a bit since then. Anyway, here's what I know:

1) None of my Brazilian documents were translated, and that was fine.

2) One of my police reports was obtained online, and that was fine too.

3) The consulate scheduled the interview and sent me a notice -- I didn't schedule anything.

4) Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay anything online.

5) Make sure your fiancé takes his updated vaccine records to the appointment; if he needs any other vaccines, he may or may not get them on the same day, and it wouldn't be at the doctor's office.

Good luck!

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

In Germany for example you don't have to translate it as long as it is German. German or English every other language has to be translated.

Did you read up at your responsible embassy webiste?

Steps after NOA2:

Gathering all the documents you need concerning your embassy ( all are different so you have to look it up what they want or what not) most likely they want to have:

Birth certificate, Passport copy (the page with your pic and datas on it ), Support documents (sponsor I-134 i think it's called?), divorce -degree etc, DS-160 confirmation page (& payment confirmation).

Fill out DS-160 as soon as it says READY - pay the fee and schedule a Interview appointment date pay the fee in advance! IT takes a while till they proceed your payment. Then you will wait for package 3 - send them the wanted documents. Then you will get another Package 4 (in Germany just a confirmation mail )

You should gather them early enough so you don't have to wait for the rest of the documents while the Petition already arrived the embassy and quotes "Ready" v-v

Wait ca. 2 weeks then go ahead and call at the nvc - to get your embassy specific case number

The Medical will take place a few days before the Interview so schedule it more or less close on your Interview date because it is just 6 Months valid. The medical counts .. The vaccinations will your fiance do before admitting the medical. He / She should already have the vaccinations in advance - that's how it goes in Germany. But just saying it isn't needed for the K1 visa itself it is needed for the AOS filling afterwards.

hope it helped a bit.

Our Story

I'm the benificary

First met: August 23rd 2013 (F)
Engaged: November 13th 2014 :wub:
I-129f sent: March 20th 2015
Received by USICS: March 25th 2015
Mail notification + Case accepted and routed to CSC:
March 27th 2015

NOA1 hard Copy received: April 4th 2015 :dancing:

Mail notification - Petition Approved NOA2: May 8th 2015

B-) NOA2 hard Copy received: May 15th 2015 :thumbs::dance:

Called NVC & Received Case NR: May 29th 2015 :thumbs:

At NVC: Since 21th May 2015

Stuck at AP :clock:

left NVC/ In Transit to Frankfurt: 3rd June 2015 :dancing:

Ready at Embassy Frankfurt: 5th June 2015 :wow:

Packet 3 received: 11th June 2015

DS-160 Submitted: 16th June 2015

Fee paid: 18th June 2015

Package 3 sent: 13th July 2015

Ready to schedule Interview: 16th July 2015
Medical passed: 21st July 2015

Interview: 5th August 2015 :star: -> Approved

POE: 27th August 2015

Date of Marriage: 3rd September 2015 (L):luv:

:energy::energy::energy: :energy: :energy::energy:

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Forgot one...lol

6. How many "passport syle" photos are actually needed in total? Unless I was dreaming (lol), I thought I read somewhere that TEN passport syle pics are needed for teh medical? But then I read somehwere else that only two are needed for the medical, and then of course, two more for the interview?

Definitely, not 10. The doctor will tell you how many he needs, but I think it's just 2.

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Timeline

LOL I know, I know...definitely need some deep breaths! I just get so nervous (clearly) hahaha. But thank you so much for your response! This helps a lot!! Very much appreciated! :)

Definitely, not 10. The doctor will tell you how many he needs, but I think it's just 2.

First of all, shellymarie, take some deep breaths. You're going to be fine.

I did my K1 in 2013, so I don't remember certain details. Besides, the process might have changed a bit since then. Anyway, here's what I know:

1) None of my Brazilian documents were translated, and that was fine.

2) One of my police reports was obtained online, and that was fine too.

3) The consulate scheduled the interview and sent me a notice -- I didn't schedule anything.

4) Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay anything online.

5) Make sure your fiancé takes his updated vaccine records to the appointment; if he needs any other vaccines, he may or may not get them on the same day, and it wouldn't be at the doctor's office.

Good luck!

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Thank you so much! You've also been a great help!

Yep, I have read up on here (VJ) and on the actual Embassy website...I think sometimes it all seems so "simple" that I think to myself "I must be missing something!" And that causes me to overthink a lot. I really just want to make sure I do everything correctly! I know it's hard because every country is different! But I definitely appreciate you sharing your experience/advice with me!

In Germany for example you don't have to translate it as long as it is German. German or English every other language has to be translated.

Did you read up at your responsible embassy webiste?

Steps after NOA2:

Gathering all the documents you need concerning your embassy ( all are different so you have to look it up what they want or what not) most likely they want to have:

Birth certificate, Passport copy (the page with your pic and datas on it ), Support documents (sponsor I-134 i think it's called?), divorce -degree etc, DS-160 confirmation page (& payment confirmation).

Fill out DS-160 as soon as it says READY - pay the fee and schedule a Interview appointment date pay the fee in advance! IT takes a while till they proceed your payment. Then you will wait for package 3 - send them the wanted documents. Then you will get another Package 4 (in Germany just a confirmation mail )

You should gather them early enough so you don't have to wait for the rest of the documents while the Petition already arrived the embassy and quotes "Ready" v-v

Wait ca. 2 weeks then go ahead and call at the nvc - to get your embassy specific case number

The Medical will take place a few days before the Interview so schedule it more or less close on your Interview date because it is just 6 Months valid. The medical counts .. The vaccinations will your fiance do before admitting the medical. He / She should already have the vaccinations in advance - that's how it goes in Germany. But just saying it isn't needed for the K1 visa itself it is needed for the AOS filling afterwards.

hope it helped a bit.

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Hi, let's go. I just had my interview in march this year:

1. Your fiancé is brazilian, right? If so I assume all his documents are in portuguese and if so, NO translation at all is necessary for the interview. As you read documents in english OR portuguese doesn't require any translation. However there is a tip thinking ahead: Birth certificate must be translated into english for the Adjustment of Status NOT K1 Interview.

2. Yes, reports can be gathered online and that's how I did. I mention that in Brazil some States do not have an online option and the applicant should get it from the police site or whatever. I assume your fiancé can get it online and if so it's perfect, no problem at all. Usually the Federal Report expires in 90 days and State Report in 6 or 4 months. I got all my reports a week before the interview or closer. To be safe just get a little bit before because we never know if we will have system glitches or stuffs like that. Once you get them online you don't need to do anything about it, they have verification codes and they can check it's legitimacy.

3. After NOA2 (I would say 15 days to be safe) you can call NVC and get your case number which will start with RDJ. To provide you the case number they will ask your USCIS receipt number, your and beneficiary dob. You don't need the RDJ number to fill out the DS 160. While filling the DS you will be asked the case number and you can add your USCIS receipt number, there is no problem at all with it and people are used to do so. In Brazil we DO NOT schedule the interview, they will assign you a date and send you the date and further instructions (Portuguese and English) for you and the beneficiary, so you can fill the DS-160 whenever you want BEFORE your interview of course. Later on the beneficiary SHOULD receive an interview letter at her residency (I say SHOULD because sometimes they never get this letter due to delivery issues and etc, however it's NOT a problem). My letter got at my house something like 2 weeks and a half after they contacted me via e-mail. The letter itself has nothing different from the e-mail they sent you, except the fact they add the visa type or something like that (We know it's K1 but they call K1-BRL). DS-260 is not an online form, it's a paper form that you fill PART 1 and take with you to the interview, nothing else. Some people say you need to sign the form there but you can sign before (I completely forget to sign mine and they didn't ask me too so I gave them a no signed form and everything went fine).

4. In Brazil we don't pay anything related to K1 online, the fee (260USD if I am not mistaken - They will let you know). Everything will be collected there before your interview. It's one fee.

5. Medical: I don't know where the beneficiary will have his medical done (RJ, MG, SP or Brasília), however it's not recommended to schedule your medical appointment until you know your interview date because they will ask you when it's going to be and additionally they basically control everything according to your interview date (When is the best moment to send the records to the Embassy..The Embassy puts all the records together as well according to interview dates). Once you know when your interview will be you can call the doctor officer and you will receive instructions by email (At least here in Rio). Everything is simple and straight forward: You will know what shots you need and exams as well (VDRL and Lung X-Ray for K1) and they need to be taken BEFORE the interview but everything can be done in the same day. Generally people who travel for their medical appointment have the x-ray and VDRL done at the same day of their interview. Usually people take care of their shots before and for free (dT, Influenza, Varicella* and MMR) - Varicella* is not for free for adults, however if had chicken pox before you don't need the shot (I don't know if other doctors request proofs but not in Rio). If you have all your previous records proving you took MMR, dT and Varicella you don't need to worry about it, however I guess that dT needs to be reinforced (Not sure, please check with the doctor). Influenza is the current year one. I know that in Brazil they just started the 2015 shots. When I had my appointment they didn't have the 2015 influenza and he just checked it was not the season for that shot and everything was fine. Exams and shots are not handled at the doctor officer (At least in RIO). The instructions will describe where you need to have your exams (Again, talking about RIO) and shots you can take wherever you want, you just need the records. The truth behind it is that the vaccination is NOT a K-1 requirement but required for the AOS. If you don't have any shot you will get your K1 (Of course if approved), however he will give you the paper as INCOMPLETE and you will need to take care of it in the States before the AOS (I recommend taking it in Brazil since it's free* - Except varicella). I like to highlight that the varicella shots are generally taken in 2 doses and depending where it's taken the second dose (Reinforcement) is taken 3 months after the first one (I went to Prophylaxis Lab and second dose was taken 1 month after the first one - 150 BRL each dose).

6. Interview you need 2 passport style pictures (Oh Gosh, 2 or 3? I forgot but you can check the instructions online as well) and medical appointment we don't need passport style pictures but 3x4 (Smaller) and I don't remember exactly how many but I guess we need 6. Generally when we take 3x4 pictures it comes on a 8 pictures combo so you will be fine!

Timeline

OH MY GOODNESS, YOU ARE AMAZING! You literally answered and broke down every single thing the way I needed to hear it! LOL! thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH! I feel much better now, and I really appreciate that you took the time to go into so much detail for me! and congrats on everything!

Hi, let's go. I just had my interview in march this year:

1. Your fiancé is brazilian, right? If so I assume all his documents are in portuguese and if so, NO translation at all is necessary for the interview. As you read documents in english OR portuguese doesn't require any translation. However there is a tip thinking ahead: Birth certificate must be translated into english for the Adjustment of Status NOT K1 Interview.

2. Yes, reports can be gathered online and that's how I did. I mention that in Brazil some States do not have an online option and the applicant should get it from the police site or whatever. I assume your fiancé can get it online and if so it's perfect, no problem at all. Usually the Federal Report expires in 90 days and State Report in 6 or 4 months. I got all my reports a week before the interview or closer. To be safe just get a little bit before because we never know if we will have system glitches or stuffs like that. Once you get them online you don't need to do anything about it, they have verification codes and they can check it's legitimacy.

3. After NOA2 (I would say 15 days to be safe) you can call NVC and get your case number which will start with RDJ. To provide you the case number they will ask your USCIS receipt number, your and beneficiary dob. You don't need the RDJ number to fill out the DS 160. While filling the DS you will be asked the case number and you can add your USCIS receipt number, there is no problem at all with it and people are used to do so. In Brazil we DO NOT schedule the interview, they will assign you a date and send you the date and further instructions (Portuguese and English) for you and the beneficiary, so you can fill the DS-160 whenever you want BEFORE your interview of course. Later on the beneficiary SHOULD receive an interview letter at her residency (I say SHOULD because sometimes they never get this letter due to delivery issues and etc, however it's NOT a problem). My letter got at my house something like 2 weeks and a half after they contacted me via e-mail. The letter itself has nothing different from the e-mail they sent you, except the fact they add the visa type or something like that (We know it's K1 but they call K1-BRL). DS-260 is not an online form, it's a paper form that you fill PART 1 and take with you to the interview, nothing else. Some people say you need to sign the form there but you can sign before (I completely forget to sign mine and they didn't ask me too so I gave them a no signed form and everything went fine).

4. In Brazil we don't pay anything related to K1 online, the fee (260USD if I am not mistaken - They will let you know). Everything will be collected there before your interview. It's one fee.

5. Medical: I don't know where the beneficiary will have his medical done (RJ, MG, SP or Brasília), however it's not recommended to schedule your medical appointment until you know your interview date because they will ask you when it's going to be and additionally they basically control everything according to your interview date (When is the best moment to send the records to the Embassy..The Embassy puts all the records together as well according to interview dates). Once you know when your interview will be you can call the doctor officer and you will receive instructions by email (At least here in Rio). Everything is simple and straight forward: You will know what shots you need and exams as well (VDRL and Lung X-Ray for K1) and they need to be taken BEFORE the interview but everything can be done in the same day. Generally people who travel for their medical appointment have the x-ray and VDRL done at the same day of their interview. Usually people take care of their shots before and for free (dT, Influenza, Varicella* and MMR) - Varicella* is not for free for adults, however if had chicken pox before you don't need the shot (I don't know if other doctors request proofs but not in Rio). If you have all your previous records proving you took MMR, dT and Varicella you don't need to worry about it, however I guess that dT needs to be reinforced (Not sure, please check with the doctor). Influenza is the current year one. I know that in Brazil they just started the 2015 shots. When I had my appointment they didn't have the 2015 influenza and he just checked it was not the season for that shot and everything was fine. Exams and shots are not handled at the doctor officer (At least in RIO). The instructions will describe where you need to have your exams (Again, talking about RIO) and shots you can take wherever you want, you just need the records. The truth behind it is that the vaccination is NOT a K-1 requirement but required for the AOS. If you don't have any shot you will get your K1 (Of course if approved), however he will give you the paper as INCOMPLETE and you will need to take care of it in the States before the AOS (I recommend taking it in Brazil since it's free* - Except varicella). I like to highlight that the varicella shots are generally taken in 2 doses and depending where it's taken the second dose (Reinforcement) is taken 3 months after the first one (I went to Prophylaxis Lab and second dose was taken 1 month after the first one - 150 BRL each dose).

6. Interview you need 2 passport style pictures (Oh Gosh, 2 or 3? I forgot but you can check the instructions online as well) and medical appointment we don't need passport style pictures but 3x4 (Smaller) and I don't remember exactly how many but I guess we need 6. Generally when we take 3x4 pictures it comes on a 8 pictures combo so you will be fine!

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

OH MY GOODNESS, YOU ARE AMAZING! You literally answered and broke down every single thing the way I needed to hear it! LOL! thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH! I feel much better now, and I really appreciate that you took the time to go into so much detail for me! and congrats on everything!

You're welcome! Feel free to contact me if you need! And one correction: Item 5 I said that generally VDRL and x-rays are taken at the same day of your interview, but its the same day of your medical appointment (Not interview!). And also I highlight something about it: When people take their exams on the same day of their medical appointment and IF the medical appointment is schedule one day before the interview, keep in mind your records WILL NOT be there for your interview. It's not a problem! If your visa is approved they will wait to issue it once they have all the documents they need. Some people have their medical appointment one week before the interview and sometimes their records don't make on time for the interview and what's the reason for that: The x-ray usually takes up to 3 days to get to the medical office and then he needs to fill out everything, send to the consulate, the consulate needs to receive and process it. So, it can take more than a week! What I did to make sure my records would be there for my interview: I lived in Rio and few miles away from the doctor officer. So I took my exams one week before my medical appointment, which happened one week before my interview!!

Good luck!

Timeline

Got it! Thank you so much! I will probably be messaging you sometime before my fiance's interview, just to make absolute sure I have everything in order! :)

You're welcome! Feel free to contact me if you need! And one correction: Item 5 I said that generally VDRL and x-rays are taken at the same day of your interview, but its the same day of your medical appointment (Not interview!). And also I highlight something about it: When people take their exams on the same day of their medical appointment and IF the medical appointment is schedule one day before the interview, keep in mind your records WILL NOT be there for your interview. It's not a problem! If your visa is approved they will wait to issue it once they have all the documents they need. Some people have their medical appointment one week before the interview and sometimes their records don't make on time for the interview and what's the reason for that: The x-ray usually takes up to 3 days to get to the medical office and then he needs to fill out everything, send to the consulate, the consulate needs to receive and process it. So, it can take more than a week! What I did to make sure my records would be there for my interview: I lived in Rio and few miles away from the doctor officer. So I took my exams one week before my medical appointment, which happened one week before my interview!!

Good luck!

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Oh right! Thank you for reminding me about that! I remember reading that when I visited the site a couple weeks ago!

"K visa applicants who have been notified by e-mail by the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro must register with the Applicant Service Center (ASC) at:https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-br/iv and schedule the visa appointment."

Do you know of any further details on that? Mainly the "applicants who have been notified by email" part...that would still come after the Embassy receives the petition from NVC?

Since May 29th there were changes for the k1 process, as you can see at the embassy website http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/mobile/pt/fiancee2.html

Seems like the interview is being scheduled by the applicant

Matt & Mish

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

EMBASSY:

9/18/15 Medical exam

Timeline

Oh right! Thank you for reminding me about that! I remember reading that when I visited the site a couple weeks ago!

"K visa applicants who have been notified by e-mail by the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro must register with the Applicant Service Center (ASC) at:https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-br/iv and schedule the visa appointment."

Do you know of any further details on that? Mainly the "applicants who have been notified by email" part...that would still come after the Embassy receives the petition from NVC?

I believe, from what's written, that after being contacted by the embassy, your fiance and you can register with the asc site and schedule the visa interview. Remember to choose a date when your fiance has all the documents he needs and also gone through with the medical part.

I wish I could help with a definitive answer but with the changes it seems like you'll be the first one who will experience scheduling yourself. I'm following your timeline and glued to your posts (if you haven't noticed!), and still waiting my noa2 (think I'm might get a rfe).

Best of luck and keep us posted, please ?

Timeline

One thing I'm in doubt is the "traducao juramentada" document they ask for k1 applicants.

It's not clear if it needs to be "autenticada" or just filled and signed. Or because it's "juramentada" it needs to be filled and sign in front of the co.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.