williamk

Tried to apply for SSN today

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I just came from the SSA (Social Security Administration) today and tried to apply for SSN.

I'm on K-1 visa and

I brought my passport and my I-94 and the person in charge asked for a letter coming from homeland security with the barcode on the side.

He said I should get that in the mail. I arrived here June 9 and I never got anything yet.

I have no idea what letter he is looking for because the guide here just says to bring the SSN application, I-94, valid ID and that's it.

He also said its better to apply once me and my fiancé get married since my last name will be different. He said its less paperwork and less hassle. Does the surname matter? Coz I read here that I can apply

For a SSN as soon as I get here in the U.S.

Did you guys get a letter from the homeland security after you arrive in the US?

Please let me know.

Thanks

You won't be getting any letter from DHS.

As a K-1 you are eligible for an SSN (in your maiden name) whether you have married or not, provided you have at least 14 days of validity remaining on your I-94.

Go back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Show them this if they are still being stupid: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Boiler is right, never heard of a "bar code " letter from Home Land Security.

You had everything it takes to get the temp. ss card until you are married.

Hi I just came from the SSA (Social Security Administration) today and tried to apply for SSN.

I'm on K-1 visa and

I brought my passport and my I-94 and the person in charge asked for a letter coming from homeland security with the barcode on the side.

He said I should get that in the mail. I arrived here June 9 and I never got anything yet.

I have no idea what letter he is looking for because the guide here just says to bring the SSN application, I-94, valid ID and that's it.

He also said its better to apply once me and my fiancé get married since my last name will be different. He said its less paperwork and less hassle. Does the surname matter? Coz I read here that I can apply

For a SSN as soon as I get here in the U.S.

Did you guys get a letter from the homeland security after you arrive in the US?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hypnos instructions are what you need follow them and shouldn't have anymore problems. Add this to your bundle of documents showing proof you deserve SSN. The idiot there didn't want to do the paperwork so he blew you off. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

These details are in my guide listed with a link below at the twisting arrow.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like you got a major idiot at SSA, may need to ask for a supervisor. The SS-5 details what is required to obtain the SSN, maybe the guy working there should read it.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

You won't be getting any letter from DHS.

As a K-1 you are eligible for an SSN (in your maiden name) whether you have married or not, provided you have at least 14 days of validity remaining on your I-94.

Go back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Show them this if they are still being stupid: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Boiler is right, never heard of a "bar code " letter from Home Land Security.You had everything it takes to get the temp. ss card until you are married.

Follow Boilers Instructions and directionsSometimes you get a dummy at the SS administration, and looks like you got one.

Sounds like you got a major idiot at SSA, may need to ask for a supervisor. The SS-5 details what is required to obtain the SSN, maybe the guy working there should read it.

Yeah I know.. Such a waste of time!! :( Thank you guys!

Should I just wait til I get married to get a SSN so I don't have to go back there again and have my name changed?

The big day is next weekend, so what do you guys think?

Hypnos instructions are what you need follow them and shouldn't have anymore problems. Add this to your bundle of documents showing proof you deserve SSN. The idiot there didn't want to do the paperwork so he blew you off. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

These details are in my guide listed with a link below at the twisting arrow.

Yes, you're right. It sucks!

But thank you for the link.

Timeline

That whole office could be staffed with idiots, which means they won't let your fiancee use her married name until she has her green card (even though that isn't required to get the SS card in ones married name, but is the common BS tossed around at some SSA offices)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Yeah I know.. Such a waste of time!! :( Thank you guys!

Should I just wait til I get married to get a SSN so I don't have to go back there again and have my name changed?

The big day is next weekend, so what do you guys think?

Yes, you're right. It sucks!

But thank you for the link.

Well if you wait until you are married, you cant get your SSN card until your EAD card with your married name comes in. :P But if you can get your SSM card now, before you marry, all you need is your SSN card and your marriage certificate to get a new card in your married name issued.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

'barcode sheet' is the printout of the electronic i-94. if you had that, then you had exposure to a dolt. dolts suck.

go back with passport, I-94 printout, and ask for a supervisor, asked to be looked up in the SAVE database, you should apply in VISA name for a quick SSN issuance.

then go back next day, get the # or learn of new problems.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

If you can possibly get your SS card "before" you are married. Me and my wife waited until after, and it took 5 trips to the SS office to get her card, because her new married name was not in the data base, her "maiden" name was in the data base. Then we had to wait until she got her EAD/AP card, and then had to get a person from another office to come in and get this mess straightened out.

If you possibly can go back, and explain what I have told you here. If you wait until after married, you have a lot of grief coming your way!

My wife, Chinook, arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa. About one week after she arrived, she applied for a Social Security number. A couple of weeks later, she received her Social Security card in the mail.

We got married a few weeks after she received her Social Security card. About a week after we got married, Chinook returned to the Social Security office and filed to change the name on her card to her married name. She received her updated card a week or so later.

All of this happened before her I-94 expired.

Follow Hypnos' advice.

Timeline

That whole office could be staffed with idiots, which means they won't let your fiancee use her married name until she has her green card (even though that isn't required to get the SS card in ones married name, but is the common BS tossed around at some SSA offices)

Well if you wait until you are married, you cant get your SSN card until your EAD card with your married name comes in. :P But if you can get your SSM card now, before you marry, all you need is your SSN card and your marriage certificate to get a new card in your married name issued.

Noted. Thank you guys! Will go back there on Monday.

Happy weekend!

Timeline

'barcode sheet' is the printout of the electronic i-94. if you had that, then you had exposure to a dolt. dolts suck.

go back with passport, I-94 printout, and ask for a supervisor, asked to be looked up in the SAVE database, you should apply in VISA name for a quick SSN issuance.

then go back next day, get the # or learn of new problems.

If you can possibly get your SS card "before" you are married. Me and my wife waited until after, and it took 5 trips to the SS office to get her card, because her new married name was not in the data base, her "maiden" name was in the data base. Then we had to wait until she got her EAD/AP card, and then had to get a person from another office to come in and get this mess straightened out.If you possibly can go back, and explain what I have told you here. If you wait until after married, you have a lot of grief coming your way!

My wife, Chinook, arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa. About one week after she arrived, she applied for a Social Security number. A couple of weeks later, she received her Social Security card in the mail.

We got married a few weeks after she received her Social Security card. About a week after we got married, Chinook returned to the Social Security office and filed to change the name on her card to her married name. She received her updated card a week or so later.

All of this happened before her I-94 expired.

Follow Hypnos' advice.

Noted, guys!

Thank you all so much for all the advice!

Will go back again on Monday and hopefully this time it's going to be a more knowledgeable person who I'm going to face. Hope it won't be a waste of time and gas the 2nd time around.

Have a happy weekend!

Timeline

That isn't true either. All that is required to change your name from single to married is a marriage certificate, so all that should be required to apply for you SS card in your married name is your I-94, passport and.... a marriage certificate. Hmm, that is how my wife did it, two days after we were married.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.