38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Yes, the EAD/AP forms go to a different department but that doesn't appear to be the reason for your RFE's.

I definitely would include 2 more certified marriage certificates and SSC copies and a letter of explanation about the name change.

I have not read or heard of anyone receiving an RFE because they didn't send 3 separated documents of everything even though different

departments process the applications. Perhaps they lost the marriage certificate.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Resend copy of marriage certificate and a new I-765, filling out her maiden name where it asks for 'Other Names Used (include Maiden Name)'. That is for any other names someone has ever legally used anytime in their lives, and specifically mentions to include maiden name. You list the maiden name there, as that is the name she previously was known as, and is the name from her other immigration documents, on her K-1 visa, in her passport and on her birth certificate. The I-485 has you enter the maiden name where it asks for you to list their name exactly as it is on their I-94.

You can include a statement explaining that she changed her name through marriage, and you mistakenly forgot to put the maiden name on the form for 'other names used'. State that you are enclosing a copy of your marriage certificate as proof of name change.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Oh what a coincidence! But the only difference is, I was able to submit separate requirements for AOS and EAD but still, I was able to receive a letter from USCIS last week saying that there is a discrepancy on my name between the Service Report and that of the last name that I have used on the forms. However, I don't have my SSN yet because for some reasons SSA told me that they will provide me one once I already have either my EAD or my green card. Well, I dunno what happened to my application forms when in fact I did attach a separate copy of our marriage certificate. I can't seem to understand why and all these are delaying me a lot. :-(

• 1 month later...

I just received the same RFE. Which is.. really odd. Especially since I already received my EA card with correct last name. In the response, I'm including the letter explaining which name is which (which I was sure would be obvious, but not with the USCIS is seems :P) and that my current last name should be on all new documents. Also copy of marriage certificate, copy of that EA card and copy of military ID. No idea what else I should include...

Hope that will be enough. I really do not understand this.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I have just received one of these as well but I had put maiden name in other names used and supplied marriage cert, birth cert, passport etc what else am I supposed to send?

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im having the same problem. I applied for AOS together with the I-765 and I-131. I just received an rfe for the I-765 and I-131 saying that my name on the application is not the same with my name on the other USCIS record which I assume is the k1 application. They listed the things i need to submit, birth certificate, passport, visa, and or national ID, and I am 100% sure that ive sent those already since I have the exact copy of the AOS application that I filed. It also says that if I change my name I should send proof of name change such as marriage certificate etc. and I sent the marriage certificate too. I don’t know what to do. I’m worried since that they will base the investigation on the evidence that I will send for the rfe and if I send it again, How would I know they’ll acknowledge the name problem if they didn’t acknowledge the ones I sent before? I can get a denial coz ill be sending the same thing i sent before. is it possible that there was just some errors?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
10 hours ago, sillyali said:

Im having the same problem. I applied for AOS together with the I-765 and I-131. I just received an rfe for the I-765 and I-131 saying that my name on the application is not the same with my name on the other USCIS record which I assume is the k1 application. They listed the things i need to submit, birth certificate, passport, visa, and or national ID, and I am 100% sure that ive sent those already since I have the exact copy of the AOS application that I filed. It also says that if I change my name I should send proof of name change such as marriage certificate etc. and I sent the marriage certificate too. I don’t know what to do. I’m worried since that they will base the investigation on the evidence that I will send for the rfe and if I send it again, How would I know they’ll acknowledge the name problem if they didn’t acknowledge the ones I sent before? I can get a denial coz ill be sending the same thing i sent before. is it possible that there was just some errors?

Did you fill "Other names used" ? AS it seems if you skip that, they cannot lineup your data. I believe that's what that line does, if you get married and change your name, they use that box to bring up your previous files. If you skipped that, they just scan the page, and the info doesn't line up. Other names used doesn't only mean at the moment, it means in the past, present, so maiden name is THE OTHER name that you've used in the past, for example for K-1, and entry, and i-94, and first social. Look up what you've sent and see if you filled that line out. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

Did you fill "Other names used" ? AS it seems if you skip that, they cannot lineup your data. I believe that's what that line does, if you get married and change your name, they use that box to bring up your previous files. If you skipped that, they just scan the page, and the info doesn't line up. Other names used doesn't only mean at the moment, it means in the past, present, so maiden name is THE OTHER name that you've used in the past, for example for K-1, and entry, and i-94, and first social. Look up what you've sent and see if you filled that line out. 

I did that too, I checked the application a lot of times made sure everything is correct before I sent the application. That’s why I am so confused 😔 im so scared of making any step coz if I did everything correct before what will make it different if I send the same  evidences for the rfe

Timeline
49 minutes ago, sillyali said:

I did that too, I checked the application a lot of times made sure everything is correct before I sent the application. That’s why I am so confused 😔 im so scared of making any step coz if I did everything correct before what will make it different if I send the same  evidences for the rfe

What does exactly RFE ask for?
Send them another certified copy of Marriage certificate, passport picture,  i-94 and write a letter of explanation, you can include a Social security card copy.
Tell them that your maiden name is this and that (i-94 and passport bio), and after marriage you've taken husbands last name as it is shown on Marriage Certificate. I believe they loose the marriage certificate and thats the way the "request for a new one".

when did you file if you don't mind me asking. Now you've made me nervous lol

Timeline
10 hours ago, PaulMac said:

What does exactly RFE ask for?
Send them another certified copy of Marriage certificate, passport picture,  i-94 and write a letter of explanation, you can include a Social security card copy.
Tell them that your maiden name is this and that (i-94 and passport bio), and after marriage you've taken husbands last name as it is shown on Marriage Certificate. I believe they loose the marriage certificate and thats the way the "request for a new one".

when did you file if you don't mind me asking. Now you've made me nervous lol

lol i’m sorry about that, I filed on August 27th. That’s why I’m worried coz I don’t know if they just lost it or they didn’t acknowledge it. I received an rfe for both I-765 and I-131 and they both say the same thing “your name on the application is different from the other USCIS record that we have. please send the ff.” and then the list of evidence follows, then after that it says “if you change your name please send a proof of name change such as marriage certificate etc”. since I received two rfe, should I just send them together in one packet or have them sent separately? one packet for I-765 and one for I-131

Timeline
10 hours ago, sillyali said:

lol i’m sorry about that, I filed on August 27th. That’s why I’m worried coz I don’t know if they just lost it or they didn’t acknowledge it. I received an rfe for both I-765 and I-131 and they both say the same thing “your name on the application is different from the other USCIS record that we have. please send the ff.” and then the list of evidence follows, then after that it says “if you change your name please send a proof of name change such as marriage certificate etc”. since I received two rfe, should I just send them together in one packet or have them sent separately? one packet for I-765 and one for I-131

Include for each form a marriage certificate, plus letter of explanation. Sign RFE’s, and letter and send it back. All i can advise. Lol

Timeline
1 minute ago, PaulMac said:

Include for each form a marriage certificate, plus letter of explanation. Sign RFE’s, and letter and send it back. All i can advise. Lol

i did the sane thing before, basically 3 copies of marriage cert. one for each application. I just hope it’ work out. on the positive side, at least I know now that they’re handling my case already. Thank you so much

Timeline
34 minutes ago, sillyali said:

i did the sane thing before, basically 3 copies of marriage cert. one for each application. I just hope it’ work out. on the positive side, at least I know now that they’re handling my case already. Thank you so much

One more question. Did you send a certified copy or just scanned copy of original? I've read somewhere that if you send a scanned copy, thats what happens.. Make sure it's certified copy from the township that you got married in.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

One more question. Did you send a certified copy or just scanned copy of original? I've read somewhere that if you send a scanned copy, thats what happens.. Make sure it's certified copy from the township that you got married in.

yes it is a certified copy, i think. if not then i guess i should do that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.