We Keep Receipts

Matthew Shane Wester, Amy Nicole Cox marry after teen's graduation

17 posts in this topic

http://www.examiner.com/article/matthew-shane-wester-amy-nicole-cox-marry-after-teen-s-graduation

Matthew Shane Wester and Amy Nicole Cox were married over the weekend in a Gulf Shores, Ala. ceremony. The 37-year-old teacher and his 18-year-old former student got married just weeks after the teen graduated from high school. The couple first made headlines after Wester was indicted for having an inappropriate relationship with Cox while she was still his student, and he was still married to another woman. His divorce from his first wife was finalized in April of this year, and his ex-wife was awarded full custody of the child that they share.

In January, former Cleveland High School math teacher Matthew Shane Wester was indicted for having "intentionally and knowingly engaged with a male or female student under the age of 19 in sexual contact which was done for the purpose of gratifying the sexual desire of either party, to wit – kissing and spending the night with the victim." Amy Nicole Cox was the alleged victim in the case, according to a June 17, 2015 report from Canada Journal.

Matthew Shane Wester and Amy Nicole Cox reportedly received their marriage license on June 8 and became husband and wife just days later. Prior to his resignation from Cleveland High School, Wester held multiple roles at the school. In addition to teaching 10th grade advanced geometry, 11th grade geometry, 12th grade algebraic connections and 9th grade algebra, he was assistant varsity football coach and head track coach, according to Alabama Media Group.

Blount County District Attorney Pamela Casey spoke about how this new development could impact the case against the former teacher. "The charges currently pending against Mr. Wester stem from an investigation of his relationship with the victim while she was a student and he was a teacher," she explained. "Now that the legal status of their relationship has changed, we will have to look at our case to determine how we will proceed."

Now that Matthew Shane Wester and Amy Nicole Cox are married, the newlyweds cannot be forced to testify against one another in court. That could impact the case against Wester since Cox cannot be compelled to provide testimony that would incriminate her new husband.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I knew a guy whose (mid thirties) dad married a fifteen year old girl (when the guy I knew was sixteen) exactly because of the fact that it meant she couldn't testify against him and he therefore couldn't be put in prison for impregnating a fifteen year old. This is sadly much more common than it should be.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

I knew a guy whose (mid thirties) dad married a fifteen year old girl (when the guy I knew was sixteen) exactly because of the fact that it meant she couldn't testify against him and he therefore couldn't be put in prison for impregnating a fifteen year old. This is sadly much more common than it should be.

I just don't understand what you would want with a 15 year old girl or boy for that matter when you're more than grown.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I just don't understand what you would want with a 15 year old girl or boy for that matter when you're more than grown.

Me neither. It's not right.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Me neither. It's not right.

My oldest is 18. I'd be ashamed if I brought home a girl who was in his age range of dating...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

i don't see a problem with it. after all we routinely charge juveniles as adults, and these same juveniles suffer solitary confinement. i don't understand how 'adulthood' can be a arbitrary thing when it comes to the law. she's 18, she can legally marry.

Timeline

I don't have any problem with HER actions. I have a problem with his.

March 13, 2014 Married!

sure. but what can be done? if marraige can erase a scandal, by all means - that's what the institution is for :content:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i don't see a problem with it. after all we routinely charge juveniles as adults, and these same juveniles suffer solitary confinement. i don't understand how 'adulthood' can be a arbitrary thing when it comes to the law. she's 18, she can legally marry.

Correct. 18 is legal age of consent in USA. You can die for your country at that age, might as well be able to date anyone you see fit...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She looks quite homely to me, it looks like she has snagged quite the catch from the pictures...........

It's not the marriage part that bothers me, it's the fact he was her teacher beforehand and was about to catch a case. But I see your original point, the justice system is broken.

She looks quite homely to me, it looks like she has snagged quite the catch from the pictures...........

I think this is you IRL...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I'm with Marvin. It's largely the teacher-student thing, combined with the age thing. I mean, my wife is a teacher's assistant at university and she is completely disgusted by the idea of a TA, even, having a relationship with an undergrad in their classes. It's a power differential thing.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Correct. 18 is legal age of consent in USA. You can die for your country at that age, might as well be able to date anyone you see fit...

yes, definitely that.

I'm with Marvin. It's largely the teacher-student thing, combined with the age thing. I mean, my wife is a teacher's assistant at university and she is completely disgusted by the idea of a TA, even, having a relationship with an undergrad in their classes. It's a power differential thing.

For me, I can't see myself with a woman that I could actually have fathered in my lifetime. I know there are some May-December romances here but that's just my take on it. Just like I wouldn't date a woman who was old enough to be my mother.

And I wouldn't be with someone who I was in charge of either, that would really play havoc on my senses...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's not the marriage part that bothers me, it's the fact he was her teacher beforehand and was about to catch a case. But I see your original point, the justice system is broken.

i definitely think he married her to dodge the case, not saying that marrying her was any sort of punishment for him.