samxli

Surrender passport to embassy during DCF, CCP, AP process? (split/merged thread)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~new thread started, not related to previous thread topic~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

They create and attach the visa to a page in the passport which takes time. I would allow two weeks (minimum) before traveling someplace that requires a passport..

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

My wife is applying for CR1 through DCF, she's ready for the interview soon but I've read that Administrative Processing is possible for CCP members. She has been CCP for the sake of her government job. Anyone have any tips on how to overcome this?

Also, after the interview, did the embassy keep the applicant's passport during the AP? What if the applicant needs to use the passport for travel during the AP process?

Timeline

~Inquiry is country-specific~

~Merged with ongoing, similarly-themed thread~

Timeline

Generally, they don't keep the passport until they are ready to issue visa so they won't keep the passport while you are going through AP. You will get a notice that you are approved. Often you may have to redo the medical (good for six months) and sometimes the police report (good for 12 months) beofre you send the passport in.

If you are CCP, they will generally want a Resume and a Statement of CCP membership that should reflect you are a member for employment purposes (or whatever purpose you joined.) Most people overcome this. I have never actually heard of anyone not overcoming CCP AP though the more prominent member you are, the harder (and longer) it will take. A couple I know, the wife was a director for a State Sponsored Tobacco Company and her AP took three times as long as my wife when we interviewed on the same day.

The AP is an extra background check that takes place in DC. My wife took 3 months, the director's above took close to 9 months. This was in 2011. In more recent years 6-9 months for typical cases like my wife's seems more common.

The only advice I have is don't try and lie and deny membership. That can lead to a permanent ban.

Edited by LBeachey

Timeline

I have been told that if you can document that you have quit the party more than two years previously, then AP is not required.

The issues are documenting it. I have heard stories where people have tried to quit and the local party officials do not even know how one goes about quitting. Not paying dues for an extended period of time can work but can be hard to document that you actually quit.

Timeline

~Recent posts removed from ancient eight year old thread~

~Merged with current ongoing, similarly-themed thread~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same/similar topics~

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Generally, they don't keep the passport until they are ready to issue visa so they won't keep the passport while you are going through AP. You will get a notice that you are approved. Often you may have to redo the medical (good for six months) and sometimes the police report (good for 12 months) beofre you send the passport in.

If you are CCP, they will generally want a Resume and a Statement of CCP membership that should reflect you are a member for employment purposes (or whatever purpose you joined.) Most people overcome this. I have never actually heard of anyone not overcoming CCP AP though the more prominent member you are, the harder (and longer) it will take. A couple I know, the wife was a director for a State Sponsored Tobacco Company and her AP took three times as long as my wife when we interviewed on the same day.

The AP is an extra background check that takes place in DC. My wife took 3 months, the director's above took close to 9 months. This was in 2011. In more recent years 6-9 months for typical cases like my wife's seems more common.

The only advice I have is don't try and lie and deny membership. That can lead to a permanent ban.

Thanks for the tip!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

an echo on LBeachey -

on interview day, the vice-consul determines if the visa is to be issued or if the casefile needs AP.

For most long-length AP durations, on interview day, the Vice-Consul returns the passport to the beneficiary, hand to hand.

Later, when AP is finished, a notice [letter, email, phone call] is done to the beneficiary, to turn in the passport via the CITIC Bank Courier.

There are other short-term AP things that are normal, where the passport is kept by the IV Unit on interview day, with a turnaround time no longer than 3 weeks past interview day - AP is cleared and the visa packet is generated and sent out.

HTH!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.