rachelr16

Timeline from Visa Approval to Landing for Job Clarification

6 posts in this topic

I am in the very beginning stages of learning about the visa process. I live in Germany and have been married for about a month to my German citizen husband. We are trying to look to the future to plan submitting paperwork for the IR-1/CR-1 DCF through Frankfurt. Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but I have been unable to find it in the forums. I am not quite sure of the process once the visa has been received and the point of entry. I know that you have six months once the visa has been received to touch down in the US. Can this just be done on a short trip before returning to Germany? My husband has a job that might take quite some time to leave (I believe he must train his replacement). So is it possible to take close to the six months to land and then return shortly to finish the transition? I believe that after that point he would have a year to show his intention to permanently reside in the US?

My main concern is that it seems to take a very long time on the front end with submitting the I-130 paperwork etc. but once it is getting close to the interview it looks like it runs much faster. We do not want to move back to the US without a job for him. So do you think that leaving the job and finding a new one all has to be done in the span of those six months or can we drag it out a bit? I don't want to game the system at all but I want to make sure we are prepared and know when to get the ball rolling. I'm not sure if we should start the paperwork submission in the next few months or wait until after the first few months of next year. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

So is it possible to take close to the six months to land and then return shortly to finish the transition?

Yes. Once he crossed the border he may travel freely.

I believe that after that point he would have a year to show his intention to permanently reside in the US?

No. Like mentioned above he can travel. That doesn't mean leaving the US for almost another year. If CBP determines he aboned residency (which means having just spent a couple days or weeks in the US and then return back to Europe a couple months) they can revoke his green card. Especially since it is a conditional one (you have been married for less than two years).

Considering if file in Frankfurt in person, you can complete the process in just about 6 weeks. You might want to think about this option instead of risking needing to apply for a greencard twice.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Thanks for the information. From what I have read of other people's applications, the process from start to finish looks like it has been much longer than six weeks on average. If I knew for sure that it would only be six weeks, he could look at resigning his job much closer to paperwork submission. However it looks to me in the little I know and have seen, the process can vary widely between cases.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

No one will be able to tell you how long it will take. Some needed only six weeks for DCF in Frankfurt (you need to file in person with an infopass apointment!), others over a year. There is no gurantee and all depends on the individual case. You will have to go the best path for yourself.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Hi

My DCF through Frankfurt took a little less than four months.

As far as I'm aware the consulate stopped petition filing with an infopass appointment at the beginning of 2015.

Good luck

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ah - time, timing, schedule and calendar.

you're right, he has 6 months after visa approval to transit into the USA - it's really 6 months from the date of the medical, but hey.

once he's at the POE, he'll get a stamp in his passport that turns the VISA FOIL into an I-551 document, a temporary green card with 1 year duration.

Technically, he could turn around same day and get back to Germany.

Usually, if he stays outside for up to 6 months after leaving the USA to wrap up stuff in Germany, he won't have any issues about being out of the USA whilst holding conditional residency status.

One big/huge thing you should focus on - and that's proving up intent to be domiciled in the USA, or proving up domicile in the USA (for you, the USA petitioner) - it's a small bit of instructions in the I-864, but it's a big dealio for most DCF filers.

Finally, if'n he can stay in the USA for about 3 weeks after POE, he can waltz into a SSA office and obtain the SSN card - which opens up a huge vista for participating in USA society ...

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.