Ethioluve

ROC, Change of address, and I-865

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

We moved in January, My wife and her son filled change of address forms, but recently I recieved a letter from USCIS regarding her son's removal of conditions but have not recieved one for my wife at the new address. While trying to find out how to verify my wifes address on file (which I still haven't found) I came accross the I-865 which I was unaware of. so now I am in violation for not filling a sponsors change of address, and I don't know if my wifes change went through, and we enter our ROC timeframe at the end of this month. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix all of this? Or where I can go to get the answers I need? Thank You for any help.

Not a big issue. Just file the I-865 now. It's better late than never. Your wife and stepson's ROC won't be affected by the late filing of the I-865. File the ROC forms using your new address. Many people never receive the ROC reminder letter, don't worry about that.

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Thank you sooo much, I was panicking over here. Do you know if I should refile my wifes change of address, (since we did not get the reminder letter for her ROC like we did for her son) or how I can find out what address the USCIS has on file for her?

Sorry, I reread your post, I will file the I-865 and continue on. Thank You.

You, the sponsor, should file the I-865 for yourself, as you are supposed to do that (though plenty of sponsors forget).

Your wife would have already filed AR-11 (that can be done online). She could try refiling this, as it doesn't seem to have updated in their system, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. When she files the I-751 it will have the new address on it, and that is what they will use, not the address they have on file.

Edited by Lainie B

Reminder letter for ROC is never a guaranteed thing - some people never do get it, some do.

That's why all new immigrants are best served by tracking their own ROC times on several calendars, on the fridge and anywhere else they can put a sticky note on. It's on you to remember to ROC, not on USCIS.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.