Soup Dragon

Disappointed....homesick already

35 posts in this topic

So I have been here for nearly eight years now and I still have periods of homesickness. I think the key is not to be too surprised when it happens and just ride it out. And not to worry if it comes and goes over time. Also as immigrants with ties back home there may be different life events which make you long for home over the years.

I felt great when I first arrived, then had my first homesickness spell about six months in. It lasted a couple of weeks and then I was fine again. It was next bad about a year later when I got pregnant at the same time as several friends back in the UK and I missed being with them going through that experience.

Then the baby came and that was new and exciting - then the tiredness of having a newborn and none of my family and friends support network from home made me sad again.

Again it passed and things were great for the next three years, America really started to feel like home.

Then my Mum died after a short battle with cancer and I spent five months in the UK taking care of her in her last days and looking after my Dad for a month or so after the funeral.

Coming back again after that five month break plus the grief made be VERY homesick for many many months. But time passes and you keep ploughing on with life and things get better, slowly but better.

I think once you get through a bad spell of homesickness you realise you can always get through the next one. It's not a reason to panic and pack up.

Also I just noticed you mentioned your SSN has not arrived despite asking for one in your visa app.

Nearly everyone I know ticked that box to get an SSN and all of us had to actually go to the SS office in the end after waiting for weeks and nothing arriving.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

they did NOT marry for love but for love of America. WhAT a poor path

Did you accidentally reply to the wrong thread or did you not read and just decided to write something random?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.