-PiLoT-

British airways Extra baggage question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

im finding conflicting information online and im hoping someone can help me.

I have two bags to take, i understand that the first one is included in ticket price,

however

im looking into paying for a second bag, when i go to the manage my booking thing, it gives you the option to pay for extra bags. but it seems to want to charge me per leg of the journey

$60 from aberdeen to london

$84 from london to chicago

and none allwoed from chicago to omaha (these go up to $100 per leg if paid at airport)

however every other part of the site indicates to me itsf £65 flat rate for an extra bag across the whole journey

anyone travelled with them recentlycan illuminate me?

* - 18th August 2014 - I-129f Sent

* - 21st August 2015 - Recived at CSC

* - 30th September - NOA 1 Received

* - 3rd November - NOA 2 Received

-- was never sent to NVC, got it re approved --

* - 9th January - NOA 2 approved

* - 13th January - Notice from CSC that it was sent this time to NVC

* - 21st January - Received at NVC

* - 22nd January - Case Number assisgned

* - 31st January - left NVC for London

* - 6th Feb - Arrived at Embassy

* - 10th Feb - Packet 3 Received and DS-160 Filled out.

* - 25th February - Medical :dancing:

* - 26th February - readiness form sent

* - 7th April - Interview - approved

* - 14th April - Visa in hand.

* - 17th April Tickets booked http://itsalmo.st/#timetofly

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

im finding conflicting information online and im hoping someone can help me.

I have two bags to take, i understand that the first one is included in ticket price,

however

im looking into paying for a second bag, when i go to the manage my booking thing, it gives you the option to pay for extra bags. but it seems to want to charge me per leg of the journey

$60 from aberdeen to london

$84 from london to chicago

and none allwoed from chicago to omaha (these go up to $100 per leg if paid at airport)

however every other part of the site indicates to me itsf £65 flat rate for an extra bag across the whole journey

anyone travelled with them recentlycan illuminate me?

that's rather odd usually most airlines allow you two checked bags I've flown with at least 8 different airlines they all let me do that but I haven't with British airways so I'd be no help, it should be just a flat rate though when you want to check another bag in, your best bet is to probably give their customer service number a call and ask real quick and check on if it's 1 or 2 checked as well .

Timeline

that's rather odd usually most airlines allow you two checked bags I've flown with at least 8 different airlines they all let me do that but I haven't with British airways so I'd be no help, it should be just a flat rate though when you want to check another bag in, your best bet is to probably give their customer service number a call and ask real quick and check on if it's 1 or 2 checked as well .

its def 1 checked included in ticket

Depends on the class you fly with BA I suspect. I would give them a call about it if you're unsure as I do know they've changed things a bit since we last flew. I have paid for extra baggage before, from Newcastle to London and from London to the US. That was a few years ago, and iirc you'll be charged different rates for domestic flights and overseas flights. If you don't want to go through the fuss you could always upgrade your flight class to have included extra baggage allowance. There is a big section on the website that explains the rates for different types of flights.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Depends on the class you fly with BA I suspect. I would give them a call about it if you're unsure as I do know they've changed things a bit since we last flew. I have paid for extra baggage before, from Newcastle to London and from London to the US. That was a few years ago, and iirc you'll be charged different rates for domestic flights and overseas flights. If you don't want to go through the fuss you could always upgrade your flight class to have included extra baggage allowance. There is a big section on the website that explains the rates for different types of flights.

so they made you pay once for newcastle to london then again for london to the us?

There is another option of sending your bag with www.sendmybag.com which is a door to door service. For a 30kg large bag from the UK to the US, it's £103, but it's less if you have a smaller, lighter bag.

With regards to British Airways policy for purchasing extra baggage allowance:

• Charges are per one way per flight.
  • Charges for connecting journeys are calculated as follows:
    • from within Europe to Europe (e.g. Paris to Rome or Edinburgh to Madrid via London) – £65 per bag in all circumstances
    • connecting to or from beyond Europe (e.g. New York to Mumbai or Glasgow to Bangkok via London) – you pay the charge for just one of the flights; where the charges vary, you pay the greater one (e.g. for Glasgow to Bangkok, you would pay the charge for the London to Bangkok flight)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.