PattyS_Husband

My stepson started US citizenship, but had to pay $199 initial fee, SCAM?

27 posts in this topic

As usual, my stepson went his own way with his mom, my wife, and tried to apply for his US citizenship; however, somehow he was asked to pay a $199 fee, which I think is a scam. He claims that he was at the USCIS web site, but I am afraid that the USCIS web site may have been compromised and he may have been switched to another web page to process the SCAM. What I am worry is not about the $199 fee, but the fact that his ID and SSN may have been compromised too. Does anyone know about this problem? Thank you.

Edited by PattyS_Husband

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

Interview Date :............2008-05-15, VISA APPROVED

Visa Received :.............2008-05-20

U.S.A.

POE Date :..................2008-08-30 Saturday, Miami FL (awful - more than 5 hours)

Wedding Date : .............2008-09-11 Thursday

AOS:

Interview Appt:.............2009-02-05

GC approved:................2009-02-05

GC arrived:.................2009-02-17 (END)

GC expires:.................2011-02-05**

Removing of conditions (ROC):

ROC will be filed with:.....CSC

ROC filing date:............2010-11-13 (ACTUAL SENDING DATE, SATURDAY)

ROC filing received by CSC..2010-11-15 (CONFIRMED VIA EMAIL)

ROC check cashed by CSC.....2010-11-17

ROC NOA date received:......2010-11-20

ROC NOA date printed:.......2010-11-15

ROC RFE dates(if any):......(none so far)

ROC Bio Appt Date(if any):..2010-12-22

ROC Interview Date(if any):.None

ROC GC approved Date:.......2011-02-16

ROC GC received Date:.......2011-02-22 (END)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Don't know what the $199 is for, does sound like a scam site. Best thing for him to do is get the URL for the website and all information he has and report it to the local authorities/BBB/FBI. He can monitor his credit report for the next 6 months or so and see if there is any questionable activity on it but that is about it.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did he fill out any form online? Clearly screams scam as the right way of filing for Naturalization is thru old school paper form + check payment. And the amount of $199 is not the correct fee amount either.

http://www.uscis.gov/n-400

He googled and he went to an application guiding website unknowingly (.com), it is not scam they just do all filling for you and $199 is their fee.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are so many junky sites out there that to the unfamiliar eye appear legit. I hope he can get his payment back.

Let's be honest it IS a scam of sorts - they take advantage of unsuspecting immigrants who may be at a disadvantage through language and charge them $199 to do something you can do yourself for free.

He googled and he went to an application guiding website unknowingly (.com), it is not scam they just do all filling for you and $199 is their fee.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

There are so many junky sites out there that to the unfamiliar eye appear legit. I hope he can get his payment back.

Let's be honest it IS a scam of sorts - they take advantage of unsuspecting immigrants who may be at a disadvantage through language and charge them $199 to do something you can do yourself for free.

That's why you need to read disclaimer carefully and thoroughly. Scam is to get your money without doing anything, they really do what you need. They fill every applications based on your input information and mail them to you, you sign and mail to USCIS using their prepaid label and everything. And they charge $199.

If it is scam, I don't think they will survive and expand. us-immigration.com is an example. They have been around forever legitimately.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, there are sites that look like they are immigration sites and are not/ I had signed into one once. need to check the site he used and see if it says @.gov

these people make money doing what we can do for ourself/even it is free to apply for visa lottery and so many sites ask for a fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It may or may not be a "scam" in the traditional sense, but it was definitely not the USCIS website.

1- There are hundreds of "we'll prepare it for you" immigration sites. They aren't really scams because they clearly tell you what they're doing. They'll just fill out the information you provide, and mail you the filled out forms to send to USCIS. I wouldn't call this a scam; it's just a service that is unnecessary and overpriced.

2- There are sites that "sell" uou the document pack. These may or may not be considered scams. Some of them will tell you outright that the forms are available for free but will tell you that they've complied them for you. Again overpriced and unnecessary but not a scam.

3- Other sites make it sound like you actually have to buy the documents and that they're giving you a good deal. I'd call that a scam.

4- Some sites just take your money and do nothing or steal your information. Clearly scams.

Tell him to download the application at USCIS.gov and have him fill it out. Whatever he paid for is probably useless or at least unreliable (they may not be using the latest versions of the form or may not have his information right).

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Don't know what the $199 is for, does sound like a scam site. Best thing for him to do is get the URL for the website and all information he has and report it to the local authorities/BBB/FBI. He can monitor his credit report for the next 6 months or so and see if there is any questionable activity on it but that is about it.

When I look at the bank account online, it says CHECKCARD USIMMIGRATION US WILMINGTON DE ON 06/10, and there is not even a mention of USCIS.gov. One more thing, when I google "USIMMIGRATION US WILMINGTON DE", I find the following page: https://www.usimmigration.us/ , but I am afraid my stepson didn't know what he was doing. I don't think he ever went directly to the horse's mouth (USCIS.gov) to figure out what to do. Anyhow, thank you. I think the damage is done.

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

U.S.A.

POE Date :..................2008-08-30 Saturday, Miami FL (awful - more than 5 hours)

AOS:

It is hard to speak to my stepson, for he thinks he knows everything, and so his mom, my wife. I went through the process with my wife, and all I did was to fill out the forms and paid the fees. Anyhow, thank you for your help.

Now I am concerned with ID theft including his SSN and Alien number. What a mess!

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

U.S.A.

AOS:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It is hard to speak to my stepson, for he thinks he knows everything, and so his mom, my wife. I went through the process with my wife, and all I did was to fill out the forms and paid the fees. Anyhow, thank you for your help.

Now I am concerned with ID theft including his SSN and Alien number. What a mess!

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this. It looks like a legitimate site that just happens to be a waste of money. They have several disclaimers that are easy to spot (not hidden away in long agreements). If you try to purchase the N400 package, you see this under the Start Application button:

"US Immigration Technology LLC only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. All forms that can be completed online through US Immigration Technology LLC are available for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to our Terms and Conditions of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound."

It just doesn't seem like a website set up to steal your information; they're telling you you can go somewhere else and get the same forms for free and they're telling you that the fees don't go to USCIS. They're just making money off of people who are too lazy to read the instructions. You're just out $199.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

OK, now I know that no personal information was given out, and that only payment was requested. Just now a stop payment was requested for the account, and I hope it does not go any further than this. Thanks.

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

U.S.A.

AOS:

OK, now I know that no personal information was given out, and that only payment was requested. Just now a stop payment was requested for the account, and I hope it does not go any further than this. Thanks.

That's the website I mentioned, they are legit.

N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.