Sylena

Stuck on tax returns

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You can actually face a bigger fine/penalty not filing a return than filing a return and not paying the taxes you owe (fact #2 at the link below). It looks like he could the IRS a few hundred bucks ($135 fine for not filing w/in 60 days of the April 15th deadline).

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Eight-Facts-on-Late-Filing-and-Late-Payment-Penalties

That being said, it might not be a problem for your K-1 visa. If he is earning enough right now, and has pay stubs, you could have sufficient evidence.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Doesn't file taxes?? No way. You start out by saying he has a good job here in the US and has you and a child for dependents. We all pay into the tax system and file taxes unless retired and don't owe any taxes. Even self employed person pays quarterly estimates taxes/self employment also means he is a business (maybe in himself with no employees) but still a business. this requires estimated taxes quarterly also. something about his story doesn't make sense. think about doing some research online just google his name.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I think moving to another country is an extremely risky life changing milestone in and of itself. Now why in the world you would do it with someone who hasn't filed his taxes for the last 4 years is beyond me!...

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't want to start up a firestorm here, but again, the lack of filing returns for 4 years is not a huge character flaw in this woman's fiancee unless there are other red flags. Does it show a certain lack of responsibility? Yes. But c'mon! There are people who post stories here of hooking up with others who can't hold down a job, at all, or commit domestic abuse, or cheat on their loved ones, and god know what else. Let's now overblow this not filing situation. It's not like he's ducking the payment of taxes. He's just ducking the reporting part.

And for the person who was talking about self-employed, yes, quarterly payments. I had my own business for 7 years. Filed every year, made quarterly payments. There are more serious consequences for the self-employed. If you have a garden variety job with a conventional # of W-4 exemptions, and reasonable withholding, then you can get away easy enough without filing.

I'm not recommending that people don't file. I'm saying don't freak out because you or someone you're involved with didn't file for a couple of years.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

We have known each other for over 7 years, and been together for almost 3. I have googled him and even had a background check on him done which have come back fine. He has no criminal convictions etc. The only problem is the tax return situation which I think in some ways comes down to being rather lazy...the man doesn't own dishes apart from plastic ones so he doesn't have to wash up. We've met mulitple times, the last time being just over 2 months ago in April.

If the work in his field was available down here in NZ, we would be filing for a visa for him to come down here but unfortunately we haven't had any luck finding him anything and he does not want to live here and not have a job to go to. I work in the IT industry and it's a lot easier for me to pick up work even in the US, hence the move from my side. We'll start going over his tax situation today, his worry is that he'll end up owing, which I understand can be daunting. But he also understands that I'm not moving to the other side of the planet and then have things go haywire because he's gotten himself into legal strife for not filing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We have known each other for over 7 years, and been together for almost 3. I have googled him and even had a background check on him done which have come back fine. He has no criminal convictions etc. The only problem is the tax return situation which I think in some ways comes down to being rather lazy...the man doesn't own dishes apart from plastic ones so he doesn't have to wash up. We've met mulitple times, the last time being just over 2 months ago in April.

If the work in his field was available down here in NZ, we would be filing for a visa for him to come down here but unfortunately we haven't had any luck finding him anything and he does not want to live here and not have a job to go to. I work in the IT industry and it's a lot easier for me to pick up work even in the US, hence the move from my side. We'll start going over his tax situation today, his worry is that he'll end up owing, which I understand can be daunting. But he also understands that I'm not moving to the other side of the planet and then have things go haywire because he's gotten himself into legal strife for not filing

Thanks for the explanation. If he lives near an IRS office, I would recommend going to the office and seeing an IRS rep. They'll pull up onto their computer screen his history and can give him an almost immediate answer on what he might owe, including penalties. If they say he does owe some money, then he'll either want to get an accountant or do his own research and see if the IRS is inflating what is owed. Then he'll need to file the returns for the previous years.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is not good, you really need to take a "close look" at this person.

I cannot imagine not filing my taxes the last 4 years, I would not sleep tonight, for worry.

This "can cause him serious problems" including, fines, and anything from a misdemeanor, to a felony. This is a serious situation, that is why I said, "take a close look"..,.,,anybody not filing taxes, and has "a good paying job" (as you said) I would have to look, "under the bed, and in his closet" where else "might" he be breaking the law.

I just made these statements, for your well-being, just be sure of what you are getting into.

He WILL have to file the last 4 years before your petition goes anywhere.

Please, be careful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.