raven52

Bad NEWS, for anyone who filed visa, recently!!!

408 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I am sorry but this will affect the ones that are waiting for an interview to be schedule ?

It will affect when your visa is to be issued aka after your interview.

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So..... I went home to check the mail and I got a not so wonderful surprise in the mail. A letter from the Department of Homeland Security saying my information has been compromised. But the odd thing is, I haven't filed anything recently. He filed for his citizenship this past February, but the letter came in my name. The letter is a copy and not on official letterhead. So I am not sure of its authenticity. It also wanting me to call to sign up for a free program to protect my identity. well..... I WAS going to attach a copy.. but I can't figure out how... grrrrrrrr

The hack actually started last year and went undiscovered until this April. You didn't have to actually have to do anything in that timeframe as you're already in multiple I.S. I don't know if the letter is real or not, but I do know they have started the process of notifying people.

You don't have to had file anything recently, you're already in the system.

Is a country like Canada considered an overseas embassy?

It's not the United States, so I would bet on the "yes" side of the room.

Filed: Timeline

My feeling about this news is that it is affecting more of those wanting to travel (travel visas) to the states rather than those wanting to immigrate to the states.

Why do you feel so? Is your feeling based on something you've heard or read or it is just a feeling? :/

why why why

It has been 9 months

Our interview is on June 16...

So..... I went home to check the mail and I got a not so wonderful surprise in the mail. A letter from the Department of Homeland Security saying my information has been compromised. But the odd thing is, I haven't filed anything recently. He filed for his citizenship this past February, but the letter came in my name. The letter is a copy and not on official letterhead. So I am not sure of its authenticity. It also wanting me to call to sign up for a free program to protect my identity. well..... I WAS going to attach a copy.. but I can't figure out how... grrrrrrrr

You guys, the DoS brief said that it did not affect the issuance of passports within the US - but could affect issuance of passports for USC's trying to get their passports renewed overseas.

Be very careful with this letter. I'm a federal employee and we were caution about letters like these going out. I don't know if you've heard, but there were about two hacking attacks on the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) databases, and it was publicly announced that current and former federal employee's information had been compromised. A specific letter was sent out, but we were cautioned to report any letters, emails or any other communications offering this sort of thing that did not come from that specific entity - even if the name looks similar. Call the DHS directly to ask them about it. Search the phone number on that letter on Google and if it doesn't directly link up with a DHS.GOV site, then you need to report it.

This is a very serious matter. In a matter of weeks, OPM, IRS, and now DoS (and maybe DHS) has been attacked. The IRS one seemed to be more of an external attack (someone with personal info trying to get taxpayer's returns by guessing their filing status). If it's not on letterhead, the it's HIGHLY suspicious!!! Especially since you have not submitted for the passport yet. I would suggest you call DHS first, but still apply for your husband's passport.

Oy vey, this all gives me a headache. I had a guy "Raul Moreno" working at Taco Bell and Taco Bueno (ironic, huh?) working under my SSN a few years ago, so I tried to lock down my SSN as best as possible. However, these hackers aren't after our credit, I'm sure they have worse intentions. If they think they can drive around in a Bugatti with my credit rating, they got another thing coming!!!! LOL!!!! They couldn't even buy a 1998 Toyota Camry in Kabul with my credit rating!!! :rofl:

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Timeline

Yes. It is everything to do with the State Department.

Actually, as long as he is applying from within the US, per the State Dept website announcement, he should be OK. It's only US passport applications received overseas that are being delayed. http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/news/technological-systems-issue.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We just had out interview Wednesday and were approved. Now more uncertainty. Ugh! Just when Cairo was getting caught up and issuing visas in 4-6 days this happens... :( Insha'Allah for those that have interviews in the coming weeks, most of this will be resolved.

At least they have nearly a month to fix it before your interview. Literally the worst news are those who just had their interviews and have been expecting their visas the last few days. How many of them starting buying planes tickets and making plans? You are in a much better scenario.

Like I told them at least there's a month between now and your interview. Think of those who have had their interviews in the past week or so. They are literally at the finish line but can't cross.

USCIS

10/11/2014 – Mailed I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox
10/14/2014 – I-130 packet signed for
10/15/2014 – Priority date assigned
10/19/2014 – Acceptance confirmation email received
10/20/2014 – Check cashed
10/24/2014 – Received I-797C (NOA1)
10/27/2014 – Faxed the USCIS expedite packet to the Senator's office
10/29/2014 – Expedite request sent to USCIS from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/05/2014 – USCIS approved I-130 petition
11/07/2014 – USCIS sent case to the NVC for processing
11/08/2014 – Received I-797, Approval!!! (NOA2)

NVC

11/11/2014 - Emailed the NVC Expedite Packet to the Senator's office
11/12/2014 - Expedite request sent to NVC from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/12/2014 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/28/2014 - Received confirmation email from NVC, expedite request was received and is being processed
12/09/2014 - NVC Case number assigned
12/10/2014 - NVC Welcome letter email
12/10/2014 - Submitted form DS-261
12/11/2014 - AOS fee invoiced
12/12/2014 - AOS fee submitted
12/15/2014 - AOS fee shows paid
12/16/2014 - Sent AOS and IV packets
12/17/2014 - AOS and IV packets received by NVC
12/17/2014 - Embassy denied expedite without a reason, informed over the phone by Hazel from NVC

12/19/2014 - Received email from NVC confirming AOS and IV packets received, scan date 12/17
12/19/2014 - IV fee invoiced

12/19/2014 - IV fee submitted
12/23/2014 - IV fee shows paid

12/26/2014 - Submitted DS-260
02/17/2015 - Case complete!!! :)
05/04/2015 - Interview date received by phone, scheduled for 06/10/2015

05/08/2015 - Received P4 email

US Embassy Cairo

05/12/2015 - Embassy received case from NVC

06/10/2015 - Interview approved!!! :)

07/20/2015 - Visa received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I don`t know if other embassies are the same but this is what it said on the Belgian US embassy`s website:

DELAYS IN PROCESSING VISAS: Due to circumstances beyond our control there will be a delay in processing non-immigrant visa applications. This is a worldwide problem, originating in Washington, DC, and is not specific to Belgium. While appointment times will be kept as scheduled, there will be a delay in printing all categories of visas. We hope the problem will be resolved shortly. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

What I understand from this is that first of all, the immigrant visa most of us are applying for, is not where the problem is, it`s a problem with the non immigrant ones. And second of all, interviews are still kept as schedules, they just can`t be printed out at this moment (the NON immigrant ones)

For me personally this is a big relief so I hope it can make you guys a little less worried about it as well! :)

Edited by Kim&Clint

event.png
United_States.gif:wub:Our Journey :wub:Belgium.gif

K1
Sent I-129F: June 9th, 2015
Received at Texas Lockbox: June 11th. Sent to CSC!
NOA1: (NOA1 date June 15th 2015) Hardcopy arrived June 20th 2015
NOA2: July 23rd! Hardcopy arrived July 27th 2015
Left NVC in transit to Brussels Embassy: August 17th 2015
Received at Brussels Embassy: August 21st, 2015
Package 3 sent: August 25th, 2015
Package 3 reveived: August 26th, 2015
Checklist sent back: August 27th, 2015
Medical Appointment in Antwerp: August 27th, 2015 and August 31st, 2015
Received Package 4: September 11th, 2015
Interview: September 17th, 2015 : APPROVED!!!
POE: October 25th, 3.55pm 2015 at Washington Dulles Airport.
Wedding Courthouse: November 24th, 2015. (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family US: April 2nd 2016 (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family Belgium: October 8th 2016 (L)

AoS

Filed for AoS: June 17th 2016

Package arrived: June 20th 2016 8.05 AM

Check Cashed: June 25th 2016

Texts and e-mails NOA1: June 28th, 10.30 PM

Hardcopy NOA1`s: July 2nd

Biometrics letter: July 8th.

Biometrics appointment: July 20th, 11 AM, Charlotte, NC

Early walk-in Biometrics: July 14th!

Approved: 2016/10/28 (no interview)

Greencard received: November 5th 2016. (Wrong country of birth: USA)

RoC

Filed: 10/22/2018

Package arrived: 10/23 2:40PM

Package picked up: 10/24/2018 3:54AM.

NOA1: 10/26/2018

Text and e-mail: 10/29/2018

Check cashed: 10/30/2018

What I understand from this is that first of all, the immigrant visa most of us are applying for, is not where the problem is, it`s a problem with the non immigrant ones. And second of all, interviews are still kept as schedules, they just can`t be printed out at this moment (the NON immigrant ones)

For me personally this is a big relief so I hope it can make you guys a little less worried about it as well! :)

K-1 visas are treated as immigrant visas at the DoS level and they have to go through the background checks, which are affected by this issue. You maybe right, but I am not sure I am confident if you are saying that K-1 visas won't be affected.

My fiance had his interview on the 8th of June does that mean were are also affected in that hacking delay thing.

Hopefully they did the background check before this, then you might be okay? Maybe? One person on my March filer thread said they had their interview on June 9th and they received their visa a few days later. So either their embassy wasn't affected, or their background check was done before this thing and maybe their visa was eligible to be printed. Hopefully if your embassy is affected, they finished everything before the problem!

Signature coming soon...

I had contacted the senator's office to get my husband's passport back, the embassy replied within a day and contacted my husband to confirm if his phone number was the same and to go to the american express office when they call. the thing is, the ceac never updated after they emailed back, does anyone know if their system might be down as it has been in the news or they don't update records when a passport is sent back, i am a bit worried why the case status didn't update

The American Express office is where the visas are issued in Pakistan, right? Did they say they will issue your husband's visa? He took his passport there or he is just waiting on them to call? I am following a Pakistan thread where many have had their interviews and have been approved; I'm waiting to see if they will get their visas in a few days. You may want to follow it too and see if the recent interviews are getting their visas or not, then you will be able to decide if the Islamabad embassy is affected too.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/550800-interviews-islamabad-embassy-june-2015/page-4#entry7674346

Signature coming soon...

If the DOS treats K visas like immigrant visas, then why do K visa applicants have to submit a DS-160 instead of a DS-260?

If the DOS treats K visas like immigrant visas, then why do K visa applicants have to submit a DS-160 instead of a DS-260?

Who knows? I think it's because the DoS won't get a chance to handle the case again after the intended spouse enters the US - then you AOS, and work with USCIS again. They want to make sure they do their due diligence. I know the Manila embassy shows the K visa as under non-immigrant, but not all embassies do (Islamabad for example http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/immigrantspouses.html).

When you get your NOA2, you will need to call the immigrant line of the NVC to get your MNL# (which is a case number KBL for me). When you look up your MNL# on CEAC.GOV, you will look up the status under the immigrant visa link. You won't be able to look up the status under the non-immigrant section until you complete the DS-160. Then you can use your application ID, but you will actually use your MNL# under the immigrant section of ceac to continue to check for updates.

It's not completely clear, but DoS considers K-1's as visas with immigration intent. In our case, we could not use the online interview schedule at the KBL embassy because it's considered an immigrant visa, so we need to wait for them to review the hard copy of the petition. Also, I don't think non-immigrants, such as visitor visas, need medical exams.

Also, see this link for your embassy: http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage-to-a-us-citizen2.html

Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Log into any foreign embassy website and you will see this IMPORTANT: The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport and visa systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability. Passport applications accepted overseas or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay.

Stuck in AP since June 5...........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.