WC_AD

French / American Couple - nom d'usage? 3 middle names...

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

My French fiancé's passport has a nom and a nom d'usage and this is making my life complicated for the I-129F forms ! ... for example:

prénom: Jack

nom: Smith

nom d'usage: Smith-Stevens

(pas vraiment français ;) )

So in his passport it says:

nom (name) : Smith usage Smith-Stevens

What last name should I be putting on all of his forms for the united states? Will they even get why he has these two different last names in his passport and what they mean?

Also, he has two middle names, one of which is hyphenated too ... so kind of like 3 ... is listing each name necessary?

Example, in his passport it says something like:

Prénom (name): Jack, John, Mark-Paul ... should all of this go in his forms or can I omit these? I feel like his eventual green-card won't be able to fit all of his names, haha: Jack John Mark-Paul Smith-Stevens .... a little much, no?

Any experience with this, other French/American couples?

Thanks !

❤️ Whitney + Adrien ❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

My French fiancé's passport has a nom and a nom d'usage and this is making my life complicated for the I-129F forms ! ... for example:

prénom: Jack

nom: Smith

nom d'usage: Smith-Stevens

(pas vraiment français ;) )

So in his passport it says:

nom (name) : Smith usage Smith-Stevens

What last name should I be putting on all of his forms for the united states? Will they even get why he has these two different last names in his passport and what they mean?

Also, he has two middle names, one of which is hyphenated too ... so kind of like 3 ... is listing each name necessary?

Example, in his passport it says something like:

Prénom (first name): Jack, John, Mark-Paul ... should all of this go in his forms or can I omit these? I feel like his eventual green-card won't be able to fit all of his names, haha: Jack John Mark-Paul Smith-Stevens .... a little much, no?

Any experience with this, other French/American couples?

Thanks !

A little edit to my first post, to be more clear:

He only uses "Jack Smith-Stevens" for any administrative/bank/diplomas/work contracts/phone bills in France.

We want to be sure that for his USA K-1 visa and eventual green-card would all have the name that he uses to cause less problems administratively in the States in the future.

A good example was a student visa to Taiwan where they picked every single element of his name from his passport :

"JACK JOHN MARK-PAUL SMITH USAGE SMITH-STEVENS" that was actually cut at "JACK JOHN MARK-PAUL SMITH USAG"

because the whole name did not fit......

Thanks!

❤️ Whitney + Adrien ❤️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

A little edit to my first post, to be more clear:

He only uses "Jack Smith-Stevens" for any administrative/bank/diplomas/work contracts/phone bills in France.

We want to be sure that for his USA K-1 visa and eventual green-card would all have the name that he uses to cause less problems administratively in the States in the future.

A good example was a student visa to Taiwan where they picked every single element of his name from his passport :

"JACK JOHN MARK-PAUL SMITH USAGE SMITH-STEVENS" that was actually cut at "JACK JOHN MARK-PAUL SMITH USAG"

because the whole name did not fit......

Thanks!

Not sure if you've already figured out what to do, but this is what I did in my similar situation:

My French husband took my name after we got married, so (using your example names) his passport says

last name: Smith

usage: Stevens

So all his stuff here in France are Jack Stevens, though not everything, since some stuff they only use your birth name (like our son's birth certificate).

I put Stevens as his last on the i-130, with Smith in "other names used", and in my cover letter I explained that in France, you never totally change your name and he goes by Stevens, even though some official papers will only say Smith. I mostly wrote the explanation because I was worried they wouldn't accept a different name for a married man, whereas with married women, they're used to different names.

The NOA1 I got said Jack Stevens, so I guess it was ok!

USC abroad since 2007

Married French husband 2012

Bébé born 2014 - CRBA and US passport a few months later

Me + husband + bébé + cat all arrived safely in the US on January 25th

Visa process 2015

I-130 sent: June 2nd (delivered June 4th by Chronopost)

NOA1 received: June 8th via email, June 15th via post - California Service Center

NOA2 received: June 30th via email, July 7th via post

NVC received case: July 16th

NCV case number by phone: July 30th (assigned July 29th)

DS-261 completed online: July 31st

AOS Fee available/paid online: August 4th

AOS Fee shows as "PAID"; August 6th

DS-261 accepted by phone: August 19th

IV invoice received by mail: August 20th (late at night)

IV fee available/paid online: August 21st

IV fee shows as "PAID": August 25th

AOS/IV packages sent: August 29th (delivered September 2nd via Chronopost)

DS-260 completed: August 31st

AOS/IV scan date: September 2nd

3 N/As and case complete: September 24th

Interview: November 12th - approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.