Bukaroo

US / UK citizen marriage

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am an US citizen residing in Kentucky US. My fiancee is a UK citizen and resides in Manchester UK. I am registered blind here in the US whilst my fianceee just started working full time in the UK after being on benefit for a while.

We both have not had yet the finances to visit each other but have maintained a long distance relationship the last two years. We both would like to get married this year in the US this year but are totally confused by visa, etc.

We are now trying to find out which way would be the easiest and most uncomplicated path to get married either here in the US or even the UK?

We just do not know where to start, please help by letting us know step by step procedures, etc.

Thank you.

Richard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So I really can give you no guidance on the UK, but for the US you should read the Guides section at the top of the page. For a fiance visa you would follow the K1 process (IMPORTANT NOTE you must have met in person within 2 years of filing) of for a spouse you would follow the CR1/IR1 process. Either way there are certain income requirements. If you cannot meet them, you will need a joint sponsor.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Did I read correctly that you have not met in person yet? If yes, then that is required unless there is extreme hardship preventing you from meeting. Not having enough money would not be an extreme hardship.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are going to meet and marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They are going to meet and marry.

OP posted in K1. Need to meet before filing.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

First post.

I will get it moved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~inquiry about family visas~

~one post removed for possible TOS violation~

~Please be mindful of VJ Terms of Service (TOS)~

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

OP has yet to mention where they wish to set up home.

Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~inquiry about family visas~

~one post removed for possible TOS violation~

~Please be mindful of VJ Terms of Service (TOS)~

http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

As I am blind and have only access to an iphone finding reading and typing extremely difficult, my fiancee is in the UK online monitoring the replies whilst relaying it back to me on skype. We did not think we are violating anything, if this was the case please accept our apologies.

We are genuining needing help in finding the best way of getting married.

Richard

We would like to live in the Uk for the first three years due to my fiancee working then move to the US to settle down.

Timeline

To marry in the UK needs a visa, you can not do it as a visitor.

She also needs to sponsor you, the UK does not allow co sponsors like the US does and the amount you need to earn is higher.

It was my post that was deleted for some odd reason, but if you are looking to marry in the US she can come here on the VWP and do so.

Timeline

To marry in the UK needs a visa, you can not do it as a visitor.

She also needs to sponsor you, the UK does not allow co sponsors like the US does and the amount you need to earn is higher.

It was my post that was deleted for some odd reason, but if you are looking to marry in the US she can come here on the VWP and do so.

Thank you.

Did we understand this right that she is better off coming on a VWP (not sure what this means) then we get married in the US. After that I fly back with her to the UK on a visitor visa? and get our marriage registered in the UK?

Furthermore what are the fees for getting a visa for her to come to the States?

As mentioned we would like to live in the UK for 3 years first to accumulate money to be able to set up home in the US after that.

Edited by Bukaroo

Bukaroo,

For the US you and your fiancé will need to meet, as that is a requirement in filing for a fiancé visa. Once you arrange a meeting and do meet up, you should gather together evidence of that meeting - passport stamps, boarding passes, tickets or receipts of being at the same place at the same time, and of course photographs.

Filing for a K-1 fiancé visa is a fairly straightforward process, but it can take a while. There will be a lot of paperwork for you both to go over and sign.

Additionally you or a co-sponsor will have to prove you can financially sponsor the foreign fiancé and meet the financial requirement.

If you wanted to immigrate or marry in the UK, I must tell you that the bar they set is extremely high and prohibitive when it comes to financial burden, that only your fiancé (no assistance from you, cosponsor, or family etc is allowed) can meet. The American is classed as a non-EEA citizen with no rights to settle in the same way as an EU citizen would have. The process is long, complicated, and expensive to boot - that is if you can even meet the requirements.

You may not enter the UK and marry in any capacity with the intent to marry or already be married and settle/live there without obtaining a visa and meeting the requirements. You may also not enter the UK and attempt to settle as a married couple without a visa and meeting the requirements. Now, there are lengthy and rather complex ways of navigating the UK system, such as first obtaining the ability to enter as an EU citizen (but this would require your UK fiancé to settle elsewhere in the EU first). But that advice is not something for this forum.

As for using the VWP, entering the US with the intent to marry and stay here is considered fraud (although I am sure there may be arguments to the contrary and your intent can be of course hard to prove in these situations). But no one here can advise you how to go about doing that as that would be against the TOS of this forum. You can enter on the VWP, marry, and your then spouse can return home to the UK without you, and then you would have to seek out filing for a spousal visa if you wished her to move here. The US financial and sponsor rules are fairly the same.

You can enter the UK as a visitor without the need to obtain a visa as a US citizen, but only as a visitor. You must return home, and there must not be any doubt of that. If an officer there so much as thinks, you're thinking about it - you will be refused on the spot and sent home.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Thank you.

Did we understand this right that she is better off coming on a VWP (not sure what this means) then we get married in the US. After that I fly back with her to the UK on a visitor visa? and get our marriage registered in the UK?

Furthermore what are the fees for getting a visa for her to come to the States?

As mentioned we would like to live in the UK for 3 years first to accumulate money to be able to set up home in the US after that.

VWP allows people to visit for up to 90 days.

You do not need your marriage registered in UK, not sure if that is even possible.

Fees to visit are nominal, applies for ESTA pre clearance, 12 quid?

UK depends on how much she earns. This forum is about moving to the US, have a look at UK Yankee for going to the UK.

Timeline

VWP allows people to visit for up to 90 days.

You do not need your marriage registered in UK, not sure if that is even possible.

Fees to visit are nominal, applies for ESTA pre clearance, 12 quid?

UK depends on how much she earns. This forum is about moving to the US, have a look at UK Yankee for going to the UK.

Thank you very much for all the information.

We think this maybe the best way?

We will apply for an ESTA pre clearance then she comes over here, we get married, we then go back to the UK - me on a visitors visa and fly back and forth for three years until we move to the US.

Timeline

How much time are you looking to spend in the UK? If they think you are trying to live there as a visitor it will likely end in tears.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.