Ybyb20

I don't know if this goes here but... Border crossing....???

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

She doesnt need to work though. I'm financially stable enough for her to not have to work. So I don't see why they'd care if she was staying or not.... and why would she have to go back for 6 months or until she gets her visa???? The whole point of her not filing from living within the US is so that she could go back n forth so why would that be an issue? I just dont understand why my WIFE cant stay with me on and off? Ridiculous

One, she's not staying on and off by what you've said, it's been continuous. Two, to get a visitors visa those are things that they want to see at CBP. They care because she's not visiting, she's an intended immigrant. They make the rules, ask them. There are people on here who've been separated from loved ones for years. It's all just a part of the process.

Edited by Transborderwife

Yes it really bites the big one...... the process is difficult, stressful, and expensive...... My hubby and I wondered all the same things. I was born and raised in a border city and am so used to hopping the border that we often don't even thing of it as an international border - it's just "popping across the river"....

Canada is a "low-fraud" country, but even still the rules are in place for a dozen different reasons.

Yes it makes no sense, yes it is stressful and frustrating.......

If you have been married for more than two years (at the time she will do her official POE) she will get the 10 year green card (IR1). If married less than 2 years she will get the Conditional 2 yr Green card and have to go through removal of conditions before it expires......

We all have to jump through the hops they set out in front of us...... the vast majority (99.999%?) of us are honest, legit couples who just want to be home with our loved one..... But the rules are in place in an attempt to prevent fraud.

Hopefully you will have your NOA2 soon!! From there everything gets sent to the NVC and it's more paperwork and more waiting...... read up on the paperwork needed, it can be a real nightmare to wade through - but NOT impossible!!

From what you have posted so far, my only concern now will be if she will be allowed back in the US after you guys help her parents move...... some of the factors to anticipate would be how long she's been in the US already, can she show strong ties to Canada - can she get/build strong ties to Canada?!?

Yes it is really difficult to be apart from our significant others, but she may end up spending the remainder of the visa process here in Canada.... or it may be a totally moot point, and you get some sleepy guard who just waves you through..... sadly you never know, but it is best to prepare for that as well!!!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From what you have posted so far, my only concern now will be if she will be allowed back in the US after you guys help her parents move...... some of the factors to anticipate would be how long she's been in the US already, can she show strong ties to Canada - can she get/build strong ties to Canada?!?

6 months or thereabouts.

No ties to Canada it seems.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks so much for the info! I guess I really am seeing now it looks a little sketchy and crazy but truly were just trying to get this stuff off my mother in laws hands and we just spoke with her and she's agreed to just hold it all in storage until we can take my wife's stuff. So now were NOT gonna bring stuff over, just going to Canada to visit and help her mom pack stuff up. So when we drive back through to South Carolina, can they still really say no? We are applying to get her permanent residency (CR-1 correct???) and like I said we filed it from her living in Canada so that she could travel back and forth. But now we're worried after reading all this stuff...

Of course they can say no. If they couldn't say no, they wouldn't have any reason to be there at all.

Tbqh, I don't know who would consider moving things from her canadaian home into her american "home" actually visiting. No it just looks like you're moving.

They're going to see it as she wants to stay WITHOUT authorization. People do it all the time. People get married on a K1 visa and then go "whoops".

I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if they allowed you to move her things.

She is suppose to be nothing more than a visitor, wife or not she is a -visitor- to the united states. When she's approved she'll be considered a legal permant resident due to marriage, but until then she is nothing more than a visitor and will be treated as all other visitors.

Visitors don't move stuff into other peoples houses.

Also you need to make sure that she doesn't get flagged for going back and forth to often. They may feel that she's taking up residence there by staying for four or five months then leaving for a little bit.

I know it sucks, but if you want her to be able to stay with you in the long run, you need to play by the rules.

You can't just treat the borders like they're statelines. They aren't. They're federal country lines, they could simply say no because she keeps going back and forth.

Border patrol: Why are you coming in?
You: We're going to help my wife's mom pack up her house.
Border Patrol: May I see your wife's papers?
You: She's just on a visitor visa.
Border Patrol: So she'll be going back to her home too then?
You: No, she'll be coming back with me she's still visiting me.
Border Patrol: How much longer will she be visiting you for?
You: <Not sure how you can answer this without leading to more questions>

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks so much for the info! I guess I really am seeing now it looks a little sketchy and crazy but truly were just trying to get this stuff off my mother in laws hands and we just spoke with her and she's agreed to just hold it all in storage until we can take my wife's stuff. So now were NOT gonna bring stuff over, just going to Canada to visit and help her mom pack stuff up. So when we drive back through to South Carolina, can they still really say no? We are applying to get her permanent residency (CR-1 correct???) and like I said we filed it from her living in Canada so that she could travel back and forth. But now we're worried after reading all this stuff...

So she is going to "visit" her home country when she should be living there, instead of in the US? It doesn't seem sketchy, it is...not to mention the fact that she is circumventing immigration laws and you're here asking how she can continue doing so hoping not to get caught by the "pricks" at the border who are doing their jobs. :pop:

She doesnt need to work though. I'm financially stable enough for her to not have to work. So I don't see why they'd care if she was staying or not.... and why would she have to go back for 6 months or until she gets her visa???? The whole point of her not filing from living within the US is so that she could go back n forth so why would that be an issue? I just dont understand why my WIFE cant stay with me on and off? Ridiculous

ummmmm.........because it's the law

I'd be very careful. Please don't treat country lines like statelines. They simply aren't.

It would be absolutely awful for ya'lls stuff to get messed up because they feel like you're trying to cheat the system by having her live there (keyword LIVE THERE) and then live in her place for a while just to make it "seem" legit.

It's not worth the punishments.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Timeline

Okay anyone who wants to be rude/not helpful doesn't have to reply to this thread. Thank you so much for all the kind and informative people who have helped us out! We deeply appreciate it. We may seem naive and a little clueless but we truly don't know what to expect we are just a couple who wants to be together and we are playing by the rules and doing what were supposed to do just because she's been here doesn't mean we are doing anything wrong. And even if you think we are then I'm sorry you feel that type of away about strangers. I'd love it if only people who want to be friendly and helpful will reply to this thread after this message but from the looks of it, we've gotten all the answers/information we need! Thanks again! And good luck to all :)

It's good that you came onto the board because now you know more rules than you did before. At least now you understand that coming across the border with a uhaul will most likely get the uhaul and your wife stopped at the border.

She cannot live in the USA until she has her visa. I'm sorry. It just is what it is.

If you need any further help along the way, feel free to ask.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP, you're welcome to leave this thread open, but if you wish for it to be closed, hit the "report" button and so request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.