3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello all :)

Just received my case complete letter from NVC (emailed) last night around 7:30PM. I am extremely grateful for all the help I've received on this site. I know I've posted a very similar topic, but I'm really in a dilemma.

Do I go to the interview or not?

Case summary:

1) Our 2 year anniversary is July 1st (Interview is scheduled for July 16th) - Case changing from CR-1 to IR-1 on July 1st?

2) I did NOT meet the income requirements for 2012 + 2013 (I have the IRS transcripts, along with 2013 amendment for filing under the wrong marital status - I was ignorant to the rules)

3) I DO meet the income requirements for 2014. I have been with my current job since June 2, 2014 making 31k per year. (I have the IRS transcript)

4) If the embassy says we will require a joint sponsor, we do not have ANYONE

4) We never got any RFEs

5) I have visited him 3 times. (First time was 2 months, second and third time 2 weeks each)

6) We took our honeymoon in Turkey (during my 3rd visit)

I am mostly concerned about not meeting the income requirements for all three years. I am not concerned about our bona fide relationship.

Why I want to attend the interview:

1) Obviously it will look better for the case

2) I want to see my husband's family one more time before he makes the big move over here, I miss them

3) I'm scared about my husband travelling alone

Why I don't want to attend the interview

1) MONEY -- If I do this, we'll pretty much be broke when he gets here

2) It's not required

ANY advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Shauna&Wael

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If it's going to make you broke why go? I attended with my husband but we had the money to afford it. You will need money when he gets here because it will take him a while before he can find a job. It took my husband 5 months to find a job and it was at Walmart. He is a computer engineer and no one would hire him with no US experience even though he had several years under his belt in Jordan. He finally got a job in his field 10 months after he arrived, but it was only an intern position. He needed to get his foot in the door so he took a very low paying intern position for 6 months, when the internship was up they hired him full time for a good salary. So all in all it took him 14 months to get a good paying job in his field. He is one of the lucky ones, most new immigrants are hard pressed to find employment in their fields with no US experience. Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

If it's going to make you broke why go? I attended with my husband but we had the money to afford it. You will need money when he gets here because it will take him a while before he can find a job. It took my husband 5 months to find a job and it was at Walmart. He is a computer engineer and no one would hire him with no US experience even though he had several years under his belt in Jordan. He finally got a job in his field 10 months after he arrived, but it was only an intern position. He needed to get his foot in the door so he took a very low paying intern position for 6 months, when the internship was up they hired him full time for a good salary. So all in all it took him 14 months to get a good paying job in his field. He is one of the lucky ones, most new immigrants are hard pressed to find employment in their fields with no US experience. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your input. I've decided to make sure everything I can do for the case is airtight, and I'm not going. You're absolutely right, no sense in going if we will be broke when he gets here.

My husband doesn't have any education past high school. However he does have job experience with many types of odd jobs (I know this won't transfer to the US, but he can still tell prospective employers about it).

It really helps to hear how long it takes for different people to adjust. I was expecting 1-2 months of adjustment for culture shock, and 3-4 months in terms of finding a job. He knows he'll be starting at the very bottom.

Additionally I've been searching for entry level couples jobs. Only time will tell :) Again, thank you so much!

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.