ned_braden

In the right place?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place...here's our (fairly) straightforward situation!

I'm a Canadian citizen, married to a US citizen for 3+ years now. We have lived together in Canada (she's a permanent resident) since 2013. One child, if that means anything.

We are comfortable here in Canada, but would entertain the thought of relocating close to her family in Minnesota should the opportunity arise. (Nothing imminent - but would like to be prepared in case an opportunity comes up)

I'm a little unsure if Direct Consular Filing would apply to us. I see conflicting reports as to whether or not Canadians are eligible for this...or even if it is the right road to go down for our situation!

Appreciate any help you could throw our way. Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place...here's our (fairly) straightforward situation!

I'm a Canadian citizen, married to a US citizen for 3+ years now. We have lived together in Canada (she's a permanent resident) since 2013. One child, if that means anything.

We are comfortable here in Canada, but would entertain the thought of relocating close to her family in Minnesota should the opportunity arise. (Nothing imminent - but would like to be prepared in case an opportunity comes up)

I'm a little unsure if Direct Consular Filing would apply to us. I see conflicting reports as to whether or not Canadians are eligible for this...or even if it is the right road to go down for our situation!

Appreciate any help you could throw our way. Thanks!

I've been married almost 24 yrs to US born citizen. Two kids (both dual US/Canada cit). It took 13months to get a K3 visa (it got processed before the Green Card). We jumped on that and then applied for AOS from within the US (that took another 6 months). There were no flags, everyone along the way was wonderful but we just got stuck in the backlog (transferred to a few places before getting processed). They did away with DCF years ago. Is your child a US citizen? I submitted in 2013 and got my K3 in May 2014. Upon arrival in the US it took 3 months to get the work permit, plus an additional 4 weeks to get the SSN. I talked my way into getting a driver's license because at that time I did not have my SSN. We sold our house and my family moved South before I got my visa -- I wasn't allowed to bring my belongings on the truck. Just be prepared. Make sure you have your medical in place before you leave as you will only be covered by Canadian medical for he remainder of the month you left.

Edited by Kate52

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.