aljci

Should Arrest Records Be Disclosed or not? (No Convictions)

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He had two arrests. The first one is the sexual battery case when he was 19 (he's 28 now) and the girl was 24. He only got arrested, he never went to jail, no trial, case dismissed. The police didn't believe the girl's statement because it was total bs, she just wanted to get back at him. Which is totally unfair coz the police should've investigate first before they made the arrest. His family and I gets angry and hurt whenever this thing comes up. The second arrest was for theft but they lacked evidence for it so they gave him a decision of "Withheld Adjudication" which in law means that you are not convicted. He was on probation and did community service

You seem pretty worried as everyone keeps telling you not worry, If it makes you two feel better write a letter explaining the circumstances of both cases and make sure it says that the female fiancee is aware and acknowledges said offenses. Have both of you wet sign it and send it in with your packet. Not really anything more than that could ease your mind I think. It's highly unneccesary in my opinion, but if makes you two feel warm and fuzzy than go for it.

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

Frequently deferred adjudications are "convictions" for immigration purposes. It depends on the state and under which provision it was deferred. In Massachusetts, for example, "pre trial probation" is not a conviction, but "continued without a finding" is. If in doubt, disclose it.

Withheld adjudication generally refers to a decision by a judge to put a person on probation without an adjudication of guilt. It means a person is not found guilty legally by the court. If the person successfully completes the terms of probation and has no subsequent offenses, no further action with be taken on the case and the offense for which adjudication was withheld is typically not considered a prior conviction for purposes of habitual offender sentencing. In was in the state of Florida

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe that withheld/deferred adjudications are considered convictions for immigration purposes. It is kind of in the grey area if you will have to disclose it though, as technically it is not a conviction but in most scenarios it is considered as a conviction.

08/13/2013 Came to the US on F1 visa

09/26/2013 Met my husband

11/03/2013 Started dating

03/11/2015 Got married at the court house

10/23/2015 Medical exam done

11/04/2015 AOS package mailed out by USPS priority (I130 & I145 concurrent filing)

11/06/2015 Packaged delivered to Chicago Lockbox

11/13/2015 Both checks cashed by USCIS

11/15/2015 Received text msg notification of receipts of I765, I131, I130 and I485

11/19/2015 Received NOA in mail

11/20/2015 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

12/04/2015 Biometrics appointment completed

12/09/2015 Case ready to be scheduled for interview

01/25/2016 Submitted online service request for EAD

01/27/2016 I765 case status updated to "New Card Being Produced"

01/28/2016 EAD officially approved and card has been mailed

02/03/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in the mail. YAY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/27/2016 EAD/AP renewal application mailed USPS priority

10/29/2016 EAD/AP renewal package delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Saturday)

11/02/2016 Online case status updated to interview scheduled for December 8th

11/12/2016 New medical exam done due to one year validity

12/08/2016 AOS interview and case was APPROVED, new card is being produced

12/12/2016 Received Approval/welcome notice in the mail

12/16/2016 Received conditional green card in the mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/31/2017 Filed for divorce (long story)

07/26/2017 Final divorce decree granted 

08/21/2017 i-751 with divorce waiver package mailed USPS priority 

08/28/2017 NOA/Extension letter received in mail 

11/01/2018 New card is being produced

11/02/2018 Case approved 

11/06/2018 Card has been mailed to me

11/08/2018 Received 10 year green card in mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/21/2022 Applied for N-400 Naturalization online. Bio-reuse. 

8/16/2022 Interview scheduled for 9/19

9/19/2022 Interview. Recommended for Approval 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I are about to submit our K1 Visa Petition to USCIS. We want to ask if my fiance (the petitioner) need to disclosed his arrest records in the past. He had no convictions. The first one was dismissed and the second one he was given "Withheld Adjudication" and served probation which he completed. We know that the USCIS will do a background check on him. Is it necessary to disclosed the arrest records or should we just let them find out on their own since there were only arrest made and no convictions?

Answer the questions honestly on the I-129F, only offer information pertaining to their questions, volunteer nothing extra.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Albania
Timeline

Withheld adjudication generally refers to a decision by a judge to put a person on probation without an adjudication of guilt. It means a person is not found guilty legally by the court. If the person successfully completes the terms of probation and has no subsequent offenses, no further action with be taken on the case and the offense for which adjudication was withheld is typically not considered a prior conviction for purposes of habitual offender sentencing. In was in the state of Florida

I don't know about habitual offender sentencing. You may well be right. But for immigration the rules are different. The florida statute you are referring sounds a lot like the Massachusetts rules surrounding "continued without a finding". In Massachusetts it is not a conviction, but in immigration it is. It is statutorily defined in the immigration and nationality act at 101 (a) (48) (A), and it includes many deferred adjudications. I don't know enough about the florida staute, but would still say that if in doubt- disclose it.

Timeline

Answer the questions honestly on the I-129F, only offer information pertaining to their questions, volunteer nothing extra.

My fiance and I are thinking the same thing. We'll just move forward with it and with a lot of prayers we hope everything will go smoothly. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, arguing about whether or not the theft charge was an actual conviction or not seems silly. The instructions from the form were posted in this thread already. It makes absolutely no difference whether or not the theft was technically a conviction or not. Theft is not one of the crimes stated in the instructions that a USC petitioner must disclose.

The disclosure of past convictions for certain crimes is part of the IMBRA law. It ONLY pertains to the types of crimes that are stated in the instructions and on the form. Theft is not among them. The sexual assault is, but there was no conviction there. End of story. The USC petitioner is free to check NO.

Again, here are the instructions>

3. What Documents Must You Submit to Comply With IMBRA?

a. If you have ever been convicted of any of the following crimes, submit certified copies of all court and police
records showing the charges and dispositions for every conviction.
You must do so even if your records were sealed
or otherwise cleared or if anyone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that you no
longer have a record.

(1) Domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and neglect, dating violence, elder abuse, and stalking.
The term "domestic violence" includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or
former spouse of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is
cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of
the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other
person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person's acts under the domestic or family
violence laws of the jurisdiction.

(2) Homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking,
peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint,
false imprisonment, or an attempt to commit any of these crimes.

(3) Crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol on three or more occasions, where such crimes did not arise
from a single act.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Okay, arguing about whether or not the theft charge was an actual conviction or not seems silly. The instructions from the form were posted in this thread already. It makes absolutely no difference whether or not the theft was technically a conviction or not. Theft is not one of the crimes stated in the instructions that a USC petitioner must disclose.

The disclosure of past convictions for certain crimes is part of the IMBRA law. It ONLY pertains to the types of crimes that are stated in the instructions and on the form. Theft is not among them. The sexual assault is, but there was no conviction there. End of story. The USC petitioner is free to check NO.

a. If you have ever been convicted of any of the following crimes, submit certified copies of all court and police

records showing the charges and dispositions for every conviction. You must do so even if your records were sealed

or otherwise cleared or if anyone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that you no

longer have a record.

(1) Domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and neglect, dating violence, elder abuse, and stalking.

The term "domestic violence" includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or

former spouse of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is

cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of

the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other

person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person's acts under the domestic or family

(2) Homicide, murder, manslaughter, rape, abusive sexual contact, sexual exploitation, incest, torture, trafficking,

peonage, holding hostage, involuntary servitude, slave trade, kidnapping, abduction, unlawful criminal restraint,

(3) Crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol on three or more occasions, where such crimes did not arise

from a single act.

This is by far the most logical answer to the question posted. Thank you

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey guys ... I am beneficary ...I went on 3 month holiday to oc md back in 2009 with the girls during the summer break of college I was 21at the time I got arrested for having an open container on the beach and spent the night in Worcester jail.I was finger printed and did a mug shot .... I ticked no to all convicton boxes until I got to the ds160 form which asks you disclose if you have ever been arrested even if it was pardoned I ticked yes and recently received my packet three which requires police certs from Ireland done ...no arrested here ...and asks for a police cert from any country you were arrested in????? What do I need ...any advise appreciated !

Sept 29/2014 - I 295f sent

Oct. 03/2015 - NOA1

May 21/2015 - RFE

June 3/2015 - RFE Resp Sent

June 23/2015 - NOA2 (263 DAY WAIT!)

July 8/2015 - NVC Recieve

July 9/2015. -Number Assigned

July 13/2015 - Left NVC

July /2015 - Consulate Recieves

- Recieved Packet 3

- Sent Packet 3

- received Date for Interview

Timeline

Hey guys ... I am beneficary ...I went on 3 month holiday to oc md back in 2009 with the girls during the summer break of college I was 21at the time I got arrested for having an open container on the beach and spent the night in Worcester jail.I was finger printed and did a mug shot .... I ticked no to all convicton boxes until I got to the ds160 form which asks you disclose if you have ever been arrested even if it was pardoned I ticked yes and recently received my packet three which requires police certs from Ireland done ...no arrested here ...and asks for a police cert from any country you were arrested in????? What do I need ...any advise appreciated !

from what you wrote, the police record when arrested.

Timeline

Thank you so much. No. My fiance just answered no to all the questions and he didn't disclose his arrest records. Although i know i might be ask during the interview but i'll be prepared for it. We'll update so other future k1 visa petitioners will have an idea.

• 2 years later...
On 6/12/2015 at 4:16 AM, KayDeeCee said:

records showing the charges and dispositions for every conviction.
You must do so even if your records were sealed
longer have a record.

from a single act.

Unfortunately as of 04/2017 the question now states :

"Have you EVER been arrested or convicted of any of the following crimes?" and "If you were ever arrested or convicted of any of the specified crimes, you must submit certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and disposition for every arrest or conviction."

So just being arrested even without conviction must be reported. Otherwise with the EXTREME VETTING this can result in a denial.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.