isaacb20

Name change during Naturalization

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi VJer's

I am eligible for naturalization this July and i would like to change my first name to a name i'm very known by.Even though i have never used this name in any documentation, its a name i've been called by friends and family since i was a kid.

I want to know if it will be possible for me to change my first name to the name i've been known by friends and family,

I know i would have to change the names on my drivers license,bank account and credit card.Do i have to change the names on my high school diploma ,other educational certificates and degrees, and marriage certificate to the new name?

I have two kids,and we all have the same last name. do i have to change their birth certificate and other documents that has my old first name to the new name?

what documents do i have to change from the old name to the new name?

what documents can i still use with the old name or do i have to change the names on all documents that bear's my old name to the new name.? thank you VJers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

1) Read this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/549894-information-on-name-change-during-naturalization/it answers many of your questions.

2) You'll have to change your name on almost everything like banks, credit cards, etc.

3) For diplomas and old identifying documents, you will just use your old document as well as your name change certificate. You'll have to use both.

4) Your kids' names will not change through your N400 process. You'll have to go to court to change their names.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.