dorame

Waiting for Employment Authorization EAD

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is there any problem with my new wife (K-1) immigrant just applying for jobs before receiving the EAD Card?, as long as she does not accept a job before having the card? Also, she would disclose to the employer on the application that she is waiting for the Employment Authorization Card and cannot work until it is received.

Of course some employers won't consider you until you have the actual card... my question, though is, can she fill out an application with the above disclosure?

The card should come any day, but you know how it is...

Thanks, if you have an idea!

post-196254-0-90348700-1433727902_thumb.jpg

She can apply for jobs before she gets her EAD, she can even accept a job, she just can't start working. She will need her EAD in hand on the first day she starts work so that she can fill out the I-9 form and present her documents to her employer. However when she accepts a job she should explain to her future employer that she is waiting for her EAD and can't start work until she receives it.

It's up to her whether she wants to explain she doesn't have her EAD yet when she applies for jobs, but it would probably be a good idea.

Moving to Working and traveling during US Immigration forum

Timeline

Some of the large corporations, want all your paper work, before you begin your process, but the company my wife works for, took her application, and her EAD/AP card came 2 days later, she took

her EAD card in and was hired.

So, with our experience, there was no problems looking for work, before the EAD comes.

Good luck on your search.

Timeline

How long does it usually take to get the card? We sent the AOS in April 15, 2015. By the way, is it typical for the U.S. hubby to do a lot of the job searching and calling, etc. I don't want to be pushy, but she doesn't have job hunting experience, and I have a lot of experience and skills in that dept. Might she secretly be resenting that? Or is she secretly relieved I am helping in this way? (She is a fantastic person in every way)

How long does it usually take to get the card? We sent the AOS in April 15, 2015. By the way, is it typical for the U.S. hubby to do a lot of the job searching and calling, etc. I don't want to be pushy, but she doesn't have job hunting experience, and I have a lot of experience and skills in that dept. Might she secretly be resenting that? Or is she secretly relieved I am helping in this way? (She is a fantastic person in every way)

If you will complete your timeline for your AOS, EAD and AP it will provide you an estimate for the EAD and AP processing estimates. Mine shows about three months from the date filed.

What is "typical"?? If you are happy doing it and she is happy to have you do it, who cares what others think. Why don't you ask her how she feels about you doing the job hunting for her. Her answer would mean a lot more than any opinion you might get on this forum.

Edited by sevenrider860

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.