VicStP

Overdue tax returns

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I made a mistake of trusting a Russian lawyer from Brooklyn to put together our case for the NVC.

I have received a checklist for my wife (Petitioner):

[x] You must submit the following financial evidence:
[x] Proof of current employment (examples: a recently dated job letter, pay stub, or a copy of your business license).
[x] A written statement indicating why you did not file 2014 Federal income tax returns.
[x] 2014 IRS tax schedules.
[x] 2014 Federal income tax returns, IRS printout, or Letter 1722 issued by the IRS.
[x] 2014 W-2 forms(s) or IRS Tax Transcript(s).
She has been living in Finland since 2010 and we've been married for a bit over two years now.
She has not been filing taxes in the US, even though she did have jobs over the course of her life in Finland, although her salary was never above the ~90K limit, so don't think she needs to pay any extra taxes.
My questions are: how can she get the documents mentioned above? Will she incur any fines? How long will it take?
If she writes the A written statement indicating why you did not file 2014 Federal income tax returns., will she still need the rest of the documents?
I really appreciate your help.

She needs to file taxes if she worked, she can use a foreign exclusion form to not owe taxes.

It takes anywhere from 2-8 weeks to file taxes.

If she made over the threshold to file, she MUST file them.

Do you have assets or a joint sponsor?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I made a mistake of trusting a Russian lawyer from Brooklyn to put together our case for the NVC.

I have received a checklist for my wife (Petitioner):

[x] You must submit the following financial evidence:
[x] Proof of current employment (examples: a recently dated job letter, pay stub, or a copy of your business license).
[x] A written statement indicating why you did not file 2014 Federal income tax returns.
[x] 2014 IRS tax schedules.
[x] 2014 Federal income tax returns, IRS printout, or Letter 1722 issued by the IRS.
[x] 2014 W-2 forms(s) or IRS Tax Transcript(s).
She has been living in Finland since 2010 and we've been married for a bit over two years now.
She has not been filing taxes in the US, even though she did have jobs over the course of her life in Finland, although her salary was never above the ~90K limit, so don't think she needs to pay any extra taxes.
My questions are: how can she get the documents mentioned above? Will she incur any fines? How long will it take?
If she writes the A written statement indicating why you did not file 2014 Federal income tax returns., will she still need the rest of the documents?
I really appreciate your help.

FILING taxes and PAYING taxes are two entirely seperate things. Any income over the thresholds established by the IRS and a taxpayer is REQUIRED to FILE a tax return. As a USC, she is subject to worldwide income and you will be as a LPR--welcome to the USA. So she needs to file her past tax returns. She should also file as married filing jointly if it benefits her or married filing seperately so your income is not included with hers. While she is at it, I would also file her 2013, 2012, and 2011 tax returns as well as her 2014 tax return. Once processed by the IRS, get tax transcripts to submit. Then get her employment letter and pay stubs and should that she is working in Finland and not in the US. Will her job continue when you both move back to the US? If not, do you have a joint sponsor for the I-864 or can you meet the poverty guidelines with assets alone? The USCIS uses the IRS tax return to determine if your income rises above the poverty level for your household size.

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hi NLR & Dave,

Thanks for quick and detailed answers!

My wife's job is not going to continue after the move. We do have a joint sponsor - my wife's mom. Her documents are fine and we did not get a checklist for them.

I guess we're not getting CC in the next couple of months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.