GabVal

Flight Tickets

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

DV Visa.

I just thought they could ask you for a return ticket, in case they decide you're not eligible to enter the country. Remember that they, at the POE, can denie you the entrance if they find a reason why, even if you have your immigrant Visa. So that's why I'm asking.

Long time ago I came to US through DV and had a one way ticket.

No issue whatsoever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would see no reason for round trip ticket.

Buy the round trip, then it is up to you, if you use it or not.

You might even get a partial refund.,.,.,maybe good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

How is the airline loosing money? You purchased a ticket for a seat coming to the US and then leaving the US. The cost of that ticket is not going to be refunded to you, so the airline got their money from you whether you park your butt in that set or not. If you cancel the ticket, the airline is now free to resell that seat and make even more money. I had no issues when I cancelled by wife's return ticket. I still have the confirmation number of the cancellation as I did not want the airline selling the seat and not removing her from the manifest and then when we went to file for her AOS, the USCIS would state she left the country and then we would have to prove that.

OP: This is purely an economics evulation. Does purchasing a RT cost less than a one-way even if you included any cancelation fees? IF you do happen to purchase a RT, please call the AIRLINE (not the travel agency) and cancel the return and get a confirmation number to prevent any issues should the airlines say you left on that flight. This is more important for K-1 visa holders that have to file for AOS and cannot leave until they receive AP or GC. In you case, the government will not require you to have a RT ticket--the airlines on the other hand my want to see one so be prepared to explain what the visa you have is and maybe have to go up the company ladder until you find someone who understands that yours is an immigrant visa. Do not worry about the CBP denying you entry as that is rare. You have to do something for them to think your visa was issued in error or your situation does not fit the type of visa you are tryig to enter on. Granted they can be a royal PITA, but that is how they determine if your visa is still valid.

Dave

As this behavior is against most airlines "Contract of Carriage" you're taking a big gamble by doing this. United are super harsh when it comes to buying a round trip and then cancelling it and if they suspect you've done this on purpose (not because of some emergency coming up or you keep cancelling round trips on a regular basis) they will give you a penalty fee and they can even take away your mileage points. Some Airlines like SAS will refuse to give you the whole refund for your return trip that you cancelled.

This is Delta's policy: "If Delta Air Lines determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules. Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger’s non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, Delta Air Lines has the right in its sole discretion to: Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger’s itinerary, Confiscate unused flight coupons, Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger’s baggage, or Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger’s actual itinerary."

British Airways and American Airlines are also taking measures against "creative ticketing".

They do this to prevent people from using the "hidden city" technique to save money: You want to go from Point A to Point B but if you book your ticket to Point C that transfers through Point B it's cheaper and then you just don't show up for the Part C of the trip. That's why many of the airlines have implemented the rule that if you cancel one part of your trip the whole trip is cancelled.

So either you get lucky and get away with it or it gets expensive. Always check the policies of the airline you intend to fly on.

Hidden city flying only works if you don't have checked in baggage, which is highly unlikely to be the case for someone immigrating.

And those people who book round trips because the entire trip is cheaper still come out ahead even if they get absolutely nothing back on cancellation. My home country flag carrier charges between 50% and 100% more on a one way flight to the U.S. than the total for a round trip, depending on season. Who in their right mind is going to book one way? People who use them don't expect to get any refund and still come out way ahead.

Poor OP, all they wanted to know was if they needed a round trip, not start a debate on cheapest airfares and stern warnings about penalties for circumventing fare rules.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hidden city flying only works if you don't have checked in baggage, which is highly unlikely to be the case for someone immigrating.

And those people who book round trips because the entire trip is cheaper still come out ahead even if they get absolutely nothing back on cancellation. My home country flag carrier charges between 50% and 100% more on a one way flight to the U.S. than the total for a round trip, depending on season. Who in their right mind is going to book one way? People who use them don't expect to get any refund and still come out way ahead.

Poor OP, all they wanted to know was if they needed a round trip, not start a debate on cheapest airfares and stern warnings about penalties for circumventing fare rules.

Right? Haha.

Filed: Other Country: Chile
Timeline

Haha don't worry Susie! It's perfectly clear for me now that no round trip ticket is needed. I found a one way ticket from "Delta" cheaper than a round trip from LAN, so my POE will be in Atlanta. Thanks a lot! :)

Haha don't worry Susie! It's perfectly clear for me now that no round trip ticket is needed. I found a one way ticket from "Delta" cheaper than a round trip from LAN, so my POE will be in Atlanta. Thanks a lot! :)

Haha cool. All the best for the big move!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.