Dod

Please advice-interview is shortly

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi All,

just to cut the the long story short. If I have the intention to travel, after I get the Green Card, for a month to the US, and come back to my country. Then later on will immigrate to the US. if this subject, for a reason, brought up in the interview, does it have any negative impact.

Is there is any harm from saying that I will travel to the US after I get my visa, for a month, and will not cancel my current stay for a while, then I will immigrate later this year.

Your advice is appreciated.

The reason for this is, i am staying in a different country than my home country, and I have residency visa there, and not planning to cancel the visa, and immigrate now. however, i still need to travel directly after the interview to see my family etc.

REgards,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You do NOT need to tell anything nor consular officer will ask you anything about your future plan. This is not a non-immigrant visa like tourist/business/student..etc...; instead its an immigrant visa (LPR/Green card). The only question a consular MIGHT ask you in this regard is- what you plan to do in the US? Like working, studying...etc....which would be just for the sake of conversation, anyway.

If everything goes right at the interview and your visa is granted then you would have 6 months from that time to travel to US. If you don't then visa would be expired and then you would need to start all this process all over from the scratch. But after receiving the visa, you can come to US within 6 months, and leave from the US right away (even on the same day) which will not be a problem nor anyone would ask you why or all those questions because you will become a green card holder right away when you would arrive at the US and when officer at the airport would stamp on your passport of I-551 (LPR/Green card). After becoming a LPR which would be right away upon arriving at the US, you will need to follow terms and conditions of retaining LPR in the US; otherwise your green card would be taken away and your status will be revoked. That being said, you can depart from the US right away after arrival but make sure never ever stay outside of US more than 6 months in one single trip. You must need to get back to US before 6 months; otherwise officer at the airport will question you so much and s/he might put you on deportation proceeding in front of immigration judge to revoke your status. Sometimes if a reasonable answer/reasoning is given then they might let you in even if you stay outside the US for more than 6 months in one single trip, because we all have sometimes some different kinds of situations like a court case in other country or taking care of very ill person in the family...etc...etc..but if this would happen more often then they will revoke the status for sure because a green card is to stay inside the US permanently than temporary. For temporary stay, there are non-immigrant visas than an immigrant visa. Good luck...

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

One more question if you wouldn't mine. My wife has traveled to the states, after staying along with me for quite a while. However, she still has Residency visa from my current country stamped on her passport. Would this affect the domicile requirement. Knowing that the address used in the application, is a US mailing address. Do you think they would even care about domicile requirement if my wife is physically in the states.

Regards,

Filed: Timeline

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

One more question if you wouldn't mine. My wife has traveled to the states, after staying along with me for quite a while. However, she still has Residency visa from my current country stamped on her passport. Would this affect the domicile requirement. Knowing that the address used in the application, is a US mailing address. Do you think they would even care about domicile requirement if my wife is physically in the states.

Regards,

No. No problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.