djicet

Traveling to US after interview without using K1 (split thread)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I'm from Montreal and I am currently in the process of scheduling my K1 interview online, having received the packet 4 instructions letter by email today. I have many choices, the earliest being July 28, and then there are spots almost everyday in August. I planned to be in the US for my engagement party the weekend of Aug 8, so my question is as follows:

1. If I choose the July 28 interview date, and get approved, there's only about 1 week before I want to travel, so maybe that's not enough time to receive the passport with visa package? (they will send it to Loomis courrier in Lachine, and I pick it up from there). If I go this route, would they take my Canadian passport away and mail it back with the visa or will they issue a new US passport with the visa in it? (All the photos I give them are US passport standards, so I was wondering about that).

2. If I choose an interview date some time in August, after the engagement party of Aug 8, I will still be able to travel using my Canadian passport and come back before the interview date? (Most answers found in the forums suggest yes)

Obviously option 1 is preferable, then I won't have to buy a return flight ticket to come back, but timing is just too tight. I will check the online visa scheduling system several times a day to hopefully find a sooner date, in case someone cancels an appointment or something..

Thank you!

You may need to reconsider your timeline.

You will not receive a US passport because you are not a US citizen or national. The embassy would normally retain your passport and affix your K-1 visa into it; this may take longer than 10 days though.

There should be no issue with visiting the US for a month or two as a Canadian visitor prior to your visa issuance.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

you're right, one week is too generous. And if they take away my passport, I won't even be able to travel at all. I guess I'll book the interview after I come back.

Then I'll have to book the medical exam accordingly

The consulates are being unusually slow about returning passports. Go with a later date.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Just to reaffirm the general sentiment here: Definitely go with the later date so you can retain your Canadian passport for travel.

I had my K1 interview in Montreal May 14th and have yet to receive my passport and/or visa via Loomis. One week is far too short of a time line, especially considering how slow they have been as of late.

Best of luck going forward!

Edited by Trenz

ROC - July 2017 CSC Filer (I-751 July 2017 Filers Spreadsheet)

• 7/15/2017: I-751 Sent
  • 7/17/2017: I-751 Received
  • 7/18/2017: NOA1 Date
  • 7/20/2017: Cheque Cashed
  • 7/21/2017: NOA1 Received
  • 7/29/2017: Biometrics Received
  • 8/10/2017: Biometics Appointment Completed
  • 2/26/2018: Case Received at Local Office
  • 11/27/2018: I-751 Case Approved - New Card Being Produced
  • 12/04/2018: Card received via USPS. ROC process now complete!

July 2017 ROC Filers Posting Template:

Service Center: CSC/VSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: E.g. WAC17290
NOA1 Date: E.g. July 15, 2017
Filed N-400?: Yes/No
Case Transferred?: Yes/No

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?: Yes/No; Transferred to NSC (Nebraska Service Center) on August 18, 2018

Approved?: Yes/No

If yes, what was the date of your approval?: October 1, 2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?: Yes/No; September 1, 2018

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?: Yes/No; September 30, 2018

Any other information: E.g. Received my 18-month extension letter on XX; Issues cashing our check originally, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does our port of entry have to be Montreal if we did our K1 process with the Montreal Consulate?

Or can I use Toronto as port of entry?

Can use ANY port of entry you wish..head to Saskatchewan if u want and head in via N. Dakota.............good luyck

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.