El_killer47

What do I need to get run an immigration law practice?

18 posts in this topic

I am not a lawyer. Never went to law school. No bar. I am a certified public accountant. If I want to practice immigration law., such as filing people's i-130s, and k-1s and N-400 etc. What do I need to have? I know I can't obviously advertise myself as an attorney but what do I need in terms of licensing and such to be able to run a practice that specializes in helping people with immigration filing?

IR-1/CR-1

NOA-1 December 16, 2014

REF- June 24, 2015 ---------------190 days since NOA 1

RFE Respond- July 5, 2015 ----

NOA- 2 July 24, 2015 ------------- 220 days since NOA 1

NVC Sent- August 04, 2015 ----- 11 days since NOA 2

NVC Rcvd- August 18, 2015 ---- 14 days later
Case ID & IIN obtained- August 21, 2015 (over phone)

DS 261 completed- August 25, 2015

AOS Paid- August 25, 2015

Documents Sent- September 28

IV Paid- September 28, 2015

Document Scan- October 2, 2015

DS 260 Completed- October 5, 2015

Case Complete- October 29, 2015 --------- 27 days since Case Complete

Interview Scheduled- November 14, 2015 (Interview date- December 15, 2015)

Medical Done- November 23, 2015

Interview- December 15, 2015

Result- Need joint sponsor. Liquid assets not accepted.

... Looking for joint sponsor now.

Visa In Hand- .....

POE- .....

Before filing our case, I spoke with a bunch of lawyers and even met 2 in person for a consultation and I realized these lawyers they'll say anything to get you good and scared of the whole process.... as if without their assistance you're doomed. One guy actually told me that USCIS has all false information on their website., and of course, this lawyer knows the "inside story" on how visas are actually processed. Someone promised me 6 months, someone 7 months and one promised me "9 months or more depending on my luck. but most likely 9" unless obviously I turned out to be unlucky... in which case, it was out of his hands, I assumed. lol. and he could only pity me, I suppose. And the money these guys wanted.... the lowest I got quoted was $1000 for k-3 visa and then $1000 again when adjustment of status came around as a package deal only. Immigration fees are of course not included. One guy, the one who claimed he knew better immigration law then uscis itself wanted 3500 plus immigration fees.

I figured, I can charge half as much and probably do a better job then these attorneys... thanks to all the information I gathered here and continue to do so.

IR-1/CR-1

NOA-1 December 16, 2014

REF- June 24, 2015 ---------------190 days since NOA 1

RFE Respond- July 5, 2015 ----

NOA- 2 July 24, 2015 ------------- 220 days since NOA 1

NVC Sent- August 04, 2015 ----- 11 days since NOA 2

NVC Rcvd- August 18, 2015 ---- 14 days later
Case ID & IIN obtained- August 21, 2015 (over phone)

DS 261 completed- August 25, 2015

AOS Paid- August 25, 2015

Documents Sent- September 28

IV Paid- September 28, 2015

Document Scan- October 2, 2015

DS 260 Completed- October 5, 2015

Case Complete- October 29, 2015 --------- 27 days since Case Complete

Interview Scheduled- November 14, 2015 (Interview date- December 15, 2015)

Medical Done- November 23, 2015

Interview- December 15, 2015

Result- Need joint sponsor. Liquid assets not accepted.

... Looking for joint sponsor now.

Visa In Hand- .....

POE- .....

It'd depend on the case, some are harder than others.

You can't tote yourself off as an attorney or even a paralegal, you could really only say you're a document preparer, but at the same time you will always run into a situation you have never had before and you may run into clients who you simply can't help because of your lack of knowledge.

With that said, for my divorce I went pro se and I just had a legal document preparer do the papers for my divorce and instead of paying over 1000$ for a lawyer for the divorce and then 350 for the filing, I paid 650$ in total, the legal document preparer - 300 the filing fee - 350$.

Just remember, you'll have to keep up with the new rules, regulations, and forms when they come out.

As I've seen just with this website, not everyones cases are cut and dry. And immigration law is far from just filing papers, clearly there are people that can file papers without contacting anyone with legal knowhow by simply looking at guides on the page. The most you could say you are is a document preparer for X kind of visas.

I personally could never charge people money to do the filing especially knowing that all of my knowledge came from a free site that they have access to as well.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from IR1/CR1 Process to General Immigration-related Forum~

~General inquiry about immigration law, not spouse-visa specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

First, decide if you want to be a lawyer versus an attorney (able to represent someone in a court of law). Then go to school, a JD degree, and to be an attorney - pass the bar exam.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would imagine a lot depends on your state law- while immigration is federal law, you won't be actually practising law, you will "just' be filling out forms and adivising.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

First, decide if you want to be a lawyer versus an attorney (able to represent someone in a court of law). Then go to school, a JD degree, and to be an attorney - pass the bar exam.

there is no difference in an attorney and a lawyer, same exact thing. Not sure why you are saying they need to decide which one to be when they are in fact the same

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think he just wants to be a notaio.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Many people believe there is no difference, however there is. An attorney is a lawyer, but a lawyer is not necessarily an attorney. An attorney went to law school and passed a bar exam. A lawyer simply went to law school and either did not pass the bar or never took it. A lawyer is fully capable to perform lawyer duties outside of a courtroom. A lawyer, however, is not allowed to represent someone in court.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question what Americans have against Solicitors.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just a licensed attorney or BIA accredited can charge to fill out forms and advise regarding immigration Law.Any advice given regarding a legal matter constitutes the practice of law without license,and you can be charged criminally for the unlawful practice of law if you advise someone about immigration Law and charge to fill out the forms. I am an attorney,and I am not here to scare you.The Law is very clear who can give immigration advise/fill out forms.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Timeline

Notarios set up shop (some) file wrong forms ,issues incorrect info,

have clients sign the docs as the preparer , so they have no accountability

that's why USCIS considers them illegal. A crime..A registered preparer does

the same form preparing but have to fill out preparers section on form

when registered & have some culpability in errors made as a licensed preparer.

Attorney, Lawyer, Barrister iuse to be the same thing pre law degree requirements

eons ago when they wore fancy curled up wigs & flowing long black gowns (still practiced

by the British & their previous colonies.) ...when it became formal & one had to

sit the bar formally it became an Attorney in the US & a Barrister in the UK...in

both countries ppl refers to both as lawyers & solicitors, however I cannot say

the poster that explain the difference is wrong, its something new I've learned and

will research

Edited by Jawaree

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.