MouadsWife

H-1B Visa's... Disney Laying off 250 to hire cheaper paying Immigrants...

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Anyone seen this yet? Disney laying off 250 to hire H-1B Immigrants because it saves them money because they do not have to pay them as much as Americans, and other companies are following in their shoes. I just wonder how this will domino effect other visa's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JUNE-AOL-US_AUD_DEV-0601-0630&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-649108799&_r=0

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Read this story a few weeks back somewhere, almost word for word. Can't remember where though.... Their paperwork is dated to be laid off in Jan 2015. So this happened five months ago and NY Times is writing like it's in the future????

Edited by Shauneg

Yeah, news reports are becoming regurgitation; not news. But wow! Could you imagine? Training the person that will take your job? At least the company let their intentions be clear with their employees. I know I sure would quit before I trained the person that came in so I could be fired. Shoot, they are highly skilled and would figure it out!

While I agree with the program, can the low wages be good for the new employee too? I know the income is a large increase from what they may have earned in their home countries, but they have to maintain abode in US now - and sometimes two abodes. But hey, if they are willing to do so, it must work for them.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just doing jobs Americans will not do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I agree with the program also. But laying off 250 employees to bring in someone else to do the same thing for lower wages isn't good. I can understand filling job that have empty seats. Its hard being caught in the middle... standing up for both sides.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I agree with the program also. But laying off 250 employees to bring in someone else to do the same thing for lower wages isn't good. I can understand filling job that have empty seats. Its hard being caught in the middle... standing up for both sides.

This is business. Capitalism, the cornerstone of America.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

I just thought the visas we just for companies who had a hard time filling those specialty positions...this goes against that.

I thought so too, but then again, I've heard (totally unconfirmed) that some convenience store clerks have been here on those visas too.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

Most go to Indian outsourcing companies. Usually they still require some presence on site and of course they need to learn the job.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Just doing jobs Americans will not do.

250 Americans were fired from there jobs and they (H-1B immigrants) were the replacements. Jobs that American were happily working.

Timeline

250 Americans were fired from there jobs and they (H-1B immigrants) were the replacements. Jobs that American were happily working.

Millions of Americans have lost jobs they were happily working.

Timeline

I found the following on: http://www.h1base.com/visa/work/information%20obligations%20for%20h1b%20employers%20sponsors/ref/1172/ Sounds like a hefty lawsuit.

Displacement of US workers: An H1B dependent employer must attest that by hiring a H1B worker, it is not displacing any US worker for a similar position within 90 days before or after filing a H1B petition.

Recruitment efforts: The H1B dependent employer must also attest to making good faith attempts to recruit US workers and offering prevailing wages for this position. When hiring an H1B worker, it is important for employers to recognize the attendant responsibilities that they must shoulder. Although the requirements are not excessively burdensome, the employer is required to maintain some paperwork to demonstrate its compliance with the law. A clear understanding and fulfillment of these requirements will minimize possible civil penalties and ensure that the employer will be permitted to petition for future H1B workers

Timeline

Why?

The Employer is the Indian company.

Timeline

It doesn't matter if the company is indian. Everyone (all employers) have to follow the same hiring regulations.

Edited by MouadsWife

Timeline

This was a new contract for them, they had no employees to displace.

They apply for large numbers of visas annually and have people waiting to get a contract and bring them over. It is a bot of a lottery now individually, but they just make sure they have enough good to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.