ninjaduck8

Non-Importable Car? Help please!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, I've been lurking this forum a lot and it's super helpful but I'm at a huge roadblock (haha puns).

I called Nissan headquarters to request my letter of compliance and the lady said it's on this magic list of "non-importable vehicles." I have a 2015 Micra and she said all Micra and Sentras are non-importable.

I just got this car last year so I'm not prepared to give it up! I called my dealership too and they had no idea what to do.

It DOES have an EPA sticker under the hood but no FMVSS - just a CMVSS. She directed me to a list of registered importers but that seems sketchy and of course she said "Nissan does not recommend modifying your car." And even working with an importer, without that letter of compliance I'm out of luck right?

If anyone knows what I should do I would super appreciate it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all, I've been lurking this forum a lot and it's super helpful but I'm at a huge roadblock (haha puns).

I called Nissan headquarters to request my letter of compliance and the lady said it's on this magic list of "non-importable vehicles." I have a 2015 Micra and she said all Micra and Sentras are non-importable.

I just got this car last year so I'm not prepared to give it up! I called my dealership too and they had no idea what to do.

It DOES have an EPA sticker under the hood but no FMVSS - just a CMVSS. She directed me to a list of registered importers but that seems sketchy and of course she said "Nissan does not recommend modifying your car." And even working with an importer, without that letter of compliance I'm out of luck right?

If anyone knows what I should do I would super appreciate it.

Give up the car or the fiancee. No other choices......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I did some google research for you. And unfortunately I don't have much good news for you.

Your best bet is selling the car in Canada, and buying a new car in US. Even if somehow you were able to import into US,

1. You would have trouble insuring it when you will get your US license.

2. Not many Americans like the fact that your car's speedometer is in KM/Hr, rather than MPH. You will have trouble selling it or trading off when you are done with it.

3. In US highways, you would probably be driving a lot more than Canada. The highways aren't as well maintained as Canada. You should consider bigger cars designed for US roads. If you want to stick with smaller, you can try Fiesta or something that is designed for US roads.

By the way I imported my Fusion 5 years ago which I bought from Canada.. A lot of people gave me that feedback #2.

Then once I totaled it. And insurance company gave me cash value minus deductible. So I never had problem of selling it. But I can see that selling could have been a nightmare.

my 2010 Cobalt is in the same situation...... only choice I have is to sell it here before I go :P

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

are you in or nearby

one of those cities that has the rich chinese college students?

if yes, suggest you set up a cash sale deal, 2 weeks before the start of the fall semester.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Sell your car. Also chances are, if there is a lien on the car (ie you did not pay cash for it) then you cannot import it anyhow, even if you could. Without that compliance letter or stickers, you're outta luck I'm afraid.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

3. In US highways, you would probably be driving a lot more than Canada. The highways aren't as well maintained as Canada. You should consider bigger cars designed for US roads. If you want to stick with smaller, you can try Fiesta or something that is designed for US roads.

I know this doesn't pertain to the OP's question but this is just not true.

Driving more in the US than Canada depends on where you live in either place

Highway maintenance - it is pot hole season in Calgary again it depends on where you live.

There are all sizes of cars on the roads in the US.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Nissan Micra isn't sold in America. That is the most basic reason for your problem. Others have suggested options so I won't go there. But at the end of the day, a regular vehicle that is not manufactured in the U.S. at all is not going to be able to comply. I sell collector cars and I import and export on a regular basis. Any that are not originally from America take a LOT more work and being greater than 25 years old means I don't have to worry about he safety and emissions concerns you're facing.

I agree with other posters that you should find a way to sell your car.

I did import my Canadian car and sold mine without any problems but that was a GM vehicle.

my 2010 Cobalt is in the same situation...... only choice I have is to sell it here before I go :P

Why is your Cobalt a problem? I had an HHR... same car with a different body and had no problems importing it.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

I'm pretty sure I drove signifigantly more on highways in Canada than I have since moving. Highways are maintained about the same. Wider here (aka more lanes) than up north due to a sheer population difference.

Fiesta was made by Ford to be a city car; rather like the ones in Europe, but especially the UK.

I know this doesn't pertain to the OP's question but this is just not true.

Driving more in the US than Canada depends on where you live in either place

Highway maintenance - it is pot hole season in Calgary again it depends on where you live.

There are all sizes of cars on the roads in the US.

I agree.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ka was the city car.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

True. Fiesta over there is a supermini. But in the US it's a subcompact which is essentially the US version of a city car. They do get smaller here too but there are fewer models than in Europe obviously.

The Nissan Micra isn't sold in America. That is the most basic reason for your problem. Others have suggested options so I won't go there. But at the end of the day, a regular vehicle that is not manufactured in the U.S. at all is not going to be able to comply. I sell collector cars and I import and export on a regular basis. Any that are not originally from America take a LOT more work and being greater than 25 years old means I don't have to worry about he safety and emissions concerns you're facing.

I did import my Canadian car and sold mine without any problems but that was a GM vehicle.

Why is your Cobalt a problem? I had an HHR... same car with a different body and had no problems importing it.

The reason (excuse?) the guy on the other end of the GM 800# gave me was the wrong engine/trim type.... He said for that model year (the last year Cobalts were made) only the S/S trim level was US Compliant - and of course mine is an LT :P

If in your expertise you find something different I'm all ears! LOL :)

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I wanted to bring my car, not possible no doubt for the same reasons.

Well I could for 6 months only.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Really? I've been buying automobiles manufactured in Germany all my life, including one I bought in Germany and had shipped here. No issues whatsoever.

The real issue is EPA and DOT compliance - vehicles under 25 years of age need to be brought into compliance in order to be legally imported. Sometimes they are and the manufacturer can provide the documentation necessary; other times they are not and could possibly be modified, but it's usually not worth the hassle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.