chaksretirement

UK DCF residency (split thread)

8 posts in this topic

Hello all! First time post here, but I've done my reading, so hopefully this question hasn't been answered somewhere else:

I was stationed in the UK as a member of the US Air Force. Because of a move to my next duty station in New Mexico, I had to leave the UK (and my poor fiance) in 2014 while she was finishing up school. Now that she's finished, we would like to marry in England soon, then have her move to the US with me. Even if I do not currently reside in the UK anymore, do you think this information (and my old PCS orders to the UK) would suffice for evidence? I've traveled back to the UK now several times since my move, so I clearly have a vested interest in the UK (and of course my bride-to-be :) We obviously want to use the DCF process, as it would be the easiest and quickest way to get us together in the US. I've emailed the embassy through their online contact form, but as of yet, no response.

So, do you think my previous residency and recurring trips will work? If there is something that maybe I'm missing, or should think about instead, please let me know. I'm ready and willing for any and all feedback. Thanks everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So you have no status in the UK, no DCF.

you have a visa to marry in the UK?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

So if my orders to be stationed in the UK have run out, then DFC is no longer an option is what you're saying?

I do not have a visa specifically for getting married in the UK as of yet. Was just reading about them, and it seems to me that I could apply for one (if I need one?) a few months before the wedding date.

Timeline

Correct

Why would you not need one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't know. I try to keep my statements and questions open-ended in the chance that someone can insert knowledge that I was previously unaware of. That's why I joined the forum. To maybe find out if there are options available to me, for my particular situation, that I may not be able to readily see.

But it looks as if I have to find a different route than DCF now anyway.

Timeline

Get stationed back in the UK.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~new thread split due to content matter~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hi!

As Boiler has said, unfortunately you are not eligible for DCF in the UK but you can apply for the marriage visitor visa and get married in the UK. My USC husband applied for his online, took the documents (eg hotel booking, copies of our notice to marry) to the consulate (he was stationed in Germany at the time, not sure how it works if you are in the US though) and it was approved within about three weeks and it cost £85.

We got married in Scotland to avoid the need to be resident for a certain period before the wedding (Scottish marriage laws are different than in England) so he came over for just a week for the wedding and then we both went back to Germany. It was all pretty easy! If you want to get married in the UK, it's definitely doable, you will just have to return to the US and wait longer while her visa gets processed. Don't forget your fiancee can visit you during the process, as long as she has sufficient ties to prove she will return to the UK.

Here's the link from the UK border agency if you want more info (if you haven't already seen it!)

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

Good luck!

Edited by D&B18

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.