williamk

ALMOST THERE!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys!

I got my visa and I'm going to fly in a few days! Just wondering what else to bring aside from the Visa package from the embassy.

Any advice or experience from Guam as POE?

Really appreciate some advice.

Timeline

I just went through Guam POE on April 8th and the lady I dealt with was very nice. I was filling out the card for Customs and the bomb sniffing dog came up and was smelling my bag and I was questioned and I showed him it was food inside. Then AGAIN, another officer with a bomb sniffing dog came up and smelled my bag and I was questioned again. I told him, just as I told the other officer there is food in the bag, want to see?! haha. They are just bored and need something to do. The TSA on the other hand was ridiculous. There was like 10 of them working and I was the only person going through security and they were all staring at me asking me questions.

Timeline

I just went through Guam POE on April 8th and the lady I dealt with was very nice. I was filling out the card for Customs and the bomb sniffing dog came up and was smelling my bag and I was questioned and I showed him it was food inside. Then AGAIN, another officer with a bomb sniffing dog came up and smelled my bag and I was questioned again. I told him, just as I told the other officer there is food in the bag, want to see?! haha. They are just bored and need something to do. The TSA on the other hand was ridiculous. There was like 10 of them working and I was the only person going through security and they were all staring at me asking me questions.

Haha! Thank you for sharing! What food did you have? Good thing they didnt go over you bag.

May I ask what documents you brought aside from the visa package?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Bring extra Birth Certificates. Bring your High School diploma and bring your college transripts/diploma. I would get any dental work done in Philippines due to it be so cheap there.

You can't bring MagicSarap but most other food powders you can bring.

Timeline

Just do not mess around if you are coming in on a Visa. I am a US citizen so bringing in some cigs for my mom and inhalers for my dad is no big thing. They are a lot harder on you when you come in on a Visa, I can tell by how fast the other lines move when I am waiting at the POE. Don't bring in anything besides all your documentation, your clothes, your sentimental things, and anything else you NEED. Just an example I brought in a 6 pack of beer into Canada and they pulled me aside and interrogated me just because I had a 6 pack of beer. Just lay low, be respectful, have your documentation and you will be fine. They cant play favoritism, the Law is the Law, but they sure can cause you delays and heart ache.

Hi guys!

I got my visa and I'm going to fly in a few days! Just wondering what else to bring aside from the Visa package from the embassy.

Any advice or experience from Guam as POE?

Really appreciate some advice.

What to expect if traveling through Guam and then onto Hawaii.

When you arrived in Guam, look for the immigration counters (print off a map [see below] and look for the red immigration boxes at the ground level so you are familiar with their location) before heading to your connecting gate/flight. If your window to board your next flight is short be sure to walk briskly to immigration. Many travelers from Manila will have only a window of about an hour and 20 minutes before their next flight. Once you arrive, the immigration officer will ask for your visa packet and your passport. They may ask you to go to another document examination room. In this room, the agent will photocopy your passport and enter some additional information in their computer to generate your I-94. Hold onto the I-94 as you will need this for additional processing of documents once you arrive in the US. After a few minutes you will be called to come forward and get your I-94 and passport. They will emphasized that you will need to get married within 90 days or else you will need to return back to the Philippines.

After leaving immigration be sure to find your gate information and pass through security on your way. Everyone must undergo security to reboard. Check your ticket for your flight to Hawaii as it may contain the phrase "SSSS" (Secondary Security Screening Selection), which requires the TSA agent to check carry-on bags and an additional inspection of you.

When you arrive in Hawaii check the gate monitors to see which gate you will be departing from as it is customary to hop on the shuttle bus going to other terminals for your domestic flight. Be sure you retrieve your luggage to take with you on the bus and recheck them in again with the airlines that you will be traveling to the mainland US on. You must clear Customs in Hawaii before moving on to your next destination.

Flight times: Manila to Guam is nearly 4-hour trip, then Guam to Hawaii is a 7-hour trip, Hawaii to east coast is a 9.5 hour trip, time to Chicago is 8.5 hours and the west coast is about 5.5 hours.

Airport map for Guam: http://tinyurl.com/lou325y

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Just a FYI, you are allowed to bring in counterfeit items as long as it is one item per each type and it is for personal use and you declare it.

Bring extra Birth Certificates. Bring your High School diploma and bring your college transripts/diploma. I would get any dental work done in Philippines due to it be so cheap there.

You can't bring MagicSarap but most other food powders you can bring.

Noted. Thank you very much!

Just do not mess around if you are coming in on a Visa. I am a US citizen so bringing in some cigs for my mom and inhalers for my dad is no big thing. They are a lot harder on you when you come in on a Visa, I can tell by how fast the other lines move when I am waiting at the POE. Don't bring in anything besides all your documentation, your clothes, your sentimental things, and anything else you NEED. Just an example I brought in a 6 pack of beer into Canada and they pulled me aside and interrogated me just because I had a 6 pack of beer. Just lay low, be respectful, have your documentation and you will be fine. They cant play favoritism, the Law is the Law, but they sure can cause you delays and heart ache.

Yes, I understand. Thank you very much!

Timeline

What to expect if traveling through Guam and then onto Hawaii.

When you arrived in Guam, look for the immigration counters (print off a map [see below] and look for the red immigration boxes at the ground level so you are familiar with their location) before heading to your connecting gate/flight. If your window to board your next flight is short be sure to walk briskly to immigration. Many travelers from Manila will have only a window of about an hour and 20 minutes before their next flight. Once you arrive, the immigration officer will ask for your visa packet and your passport. They may ask you to go to another document examination room. In this room, the agent will photocopy your passport and enter some additional information in their computer to generate your I-94. Hold onto the I-94 as you will need this for additional processing of documents once you arrive in the US. After a few minutes you will be called to come forward and get your I-94 and passport. They will emphasized that you will need to get married within 90 days or else you will need to return back to the Philippines.

After leaving immigration be sure to find your gate information and pass through security on your way. Everyone must undergo security to reboard. Check your ticket for your flight to Hawaii as it may contain the phrase "SSSS" (Secondary Security Screening Selection), which requires the TSA agent to check carry-on bags and an additional inspection of you.

When you arrive in Hawaii check the gate monitors to see which gate you will be departing from as it is customary to hop on the shuttle bus going to other terminals for your domestic flight. Be sure you retrieve your luggage to take with you on the bus and recheck them in again with the airlines that you will be traveling to the mainland US on. You must clear Customs in Hawaii before moving on to your next destination.

Flight times: Manila to Guam is nearly 4-hour trip, then Guam to Hawaii is a 7-hour trip, Hawaii to east coast is a 9.5 hour trip, time to Chicago is 8.5 hours and the west coast is about 5.5 hours.

Airport map for Guam: http://tinyurl.com/lou325y

Wow this is very helpful! Thank you so much! Really means a lot!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.