quelocura

Changing Name after recieving Green Card? HELP!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

Hey Guys,

I have not been around this area for a while. So, long story short we were approved last June. I had not changed my last name because we were waiting for the big catholic wedding to happen, so it did and it was great and now I'm ready to change my last name. My dilema is the following: I am 9 months away from my removal of conditions which is a heavy $500 plus dollars but I want to make the changes to my name NOW not 9 months from now,... from my understanding, if I want to change my name on my green card, I have to pay $385 plus the fingerprint/picture fees and then 9 months from now re-apply and pay and exra $500 plus for the removal of conditions.That's quite a bit of money I do not want or can pay to be honest. So my thought was, change my social, my ID and leave my green card with my maiden name until the removal of conditions... would this work?? Would it make it not valid?

ADVICE! Thank you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-90 will actually cost you $450 to change your name on the green card. It can take months, and the NBC is showing processing times of 8 months right now, so that would almost be time for you to file for ROC anyway. I don't think you would have problems changing the name on your SSN and ID/license, and waiting for ROC to get the married name on your green card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

When you change it, will your current last name still be a part of your name? Meaning, will you keeping it as a middle name? This could make things less complicated if people are confused by your different IDs and names. Just a thought. I moved my last name to my middle mostly because I don't want to get rid of it but also because of this.

K1:

10.23.2013 I-129F sent
10.29.2013 NOA1 / Routed to CSC
11.15.2013 NOA2 / Petition approved
12.27.2013 Package 3 received
03.10.2014 Medical
03.17.2014 Interview

03.21.2014 Visa in hand

06.18.2014 POE Atlanta

07.09.2014 Apply for SSN

07.26.2014 Married

AOS:

09.16.2014 AOS/EAD/AP sent

09.24.2014 NOA1 texts/emails (x3) - Check cashed

09.27.2014 NOA1 Hardcopies (x3)

10.04.2014 Biometric Appointment letter (10.15.2014)

10.07.2014 Biometric Walk-in Appointment

11.25.2014 EAD in Production (Email and Text)

12.03.2014 Card mailed

12.04.2014 Combo EAD/AP card received

01.03.2015 Notice of potential interview waiver received

"What is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.