vovocals

co sponsor

13 posts in this topic

Most recent tax transcript, 3 year tax transcripts are optional.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Most recent tax transcript, 3 year tax transcripts are optional.

Please can you say this in plain english

I can send the 2014 tax transcript, but it's optional to send 3 years transcript?

Please is this stated somewhere? a link maybe? my lawyer is asking for 3 years but my friend only has 1 which is 2014

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf

Page 6 - Part 6 - Item 14: you will find OPTIONAL word there.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf

Page 6 - Part 6 - Item 14: you will find OPTIONAL word there.

This is confusing :

my total income ( adjusted gross income on IRS form 1040ez) as reported on my federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years

Then 14 goes on to say optional ..........................

Does it mean i should write the gross of 2 and 3rd year taxes but i don't need to attach them?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please can you say this in plain english

I can send the 2014 tax transcript, but it's optional to send 3 years transcript?

Please is this stated somewhere? a link maybe? my lawyer is asking for 3 years but my friend only has 1 which is 2014

In the instructions for the forms it says optional. When in doubt read the instructions....

Timeline

This is confusing :

my total income ( adjusted gross income on IRS form 1040ez) as reported on my federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years

Then 14 goes on to say optional ..........................

Does it mean i should write the gross of 2 and 3rd year taxes but i don't need to attach them?

yes. 14 says it's optional to include them when filing. You have to fill 13 out though. 13 is a completely different step than 14. You are making it harder than it really is.

Edited by Shauneg

In the instructions for the forms it says optional. When in doubt read the instructions....

understood.

but i still need to state on the form the 2 and 3 year tax return right?

mind you my spouse 3 years tax return doesnt meet the poverty line

yes. 14 says it's optional to include them when filing. You have to fill 13 out though. 13 is a completely different step than 14. You are making it harder than it really is.

Got it

my co sponsor only has the 2013 and 2014 tax return tho

Timeline

understood.

but i still need to state on the form the 2 and 3 year tax return right?

mind you my spouse 3 years tax return doesnt meet the poverty line

Got it

my co sponsor only has the 2013 and 2014 tax return tho

They don't have a 2012 return?

Only last/previous year's income tax is required and at this time the return for the year 2014. However, sponsors must to indicate their income in figure for the last 3 years on form I-864 as what is reported on their tax returns for those years. NO NEED TO SUBMIT TAX RETURNS OR TRANSCRIPTS FOR LAST 3 YEARS' ONES. USCIS has changed its policy and rule in this regard 5-6 years ago when they changed to submitting only latest tax return unlike in the past when they needed last 3 years' ones. So, just send last year's one returns.

Also, if you choose to send tax transcript then you do not need anything with it, but if you choose to send tax returns then you would need to send everything that you send to IRS with your returns like paystubs, W-2s, all the schedules..employment letter..etc..etc.

Am confused

Lawyer says i need 3 years

on the form i see 3 years but to submit the most recent

Let me tell you why you are getting confused- You are actually trusting your attorney, blindly, than asking him to provide the official proof which could say that govt. need you to submit last 3 years' tax returns. As I said many times, govt. used to ask 3 years' tax returns until 6 years ago but since they have changed their rule on this. Now they require to submit the tax returns only for the last/previous/latest year's one. Ok. It's all written on the form itself, if you could read and comprehend. Though you are required to WRITE on the form about your all last years' income, but you need to SUMBIT copy of your tax return/transcript ONLY for the latest year. If you want to believe everything what your attorney says then no matter whoever says here will confuse you and wouldn't matter to you. I can't say better than this.

i don't disbelieve what you said

you are right

i have seen whats written on the form

my question is what if the co sponsor doesn't meet or have the tax return for 2012 and maybe 2013 as they where once back home and decided to move back a while back

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.