Emmaj

Applying for Advance Parole - What is my status?

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

As the title states, I'm applying for my advance parole while I wait to adjust status to permanent resident after applying for and receiving my K-1 visa. I am now married.

Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Great question, and one that is often asked. Check out the Example Forms section, easily accessible at the top of the forum page, in particular, the I-131example: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-131.pdf

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hello,

As the title states, I'm applying for my advance parole while I wait to adjust status to permanent resident after applying for and receiving my K-1 visa. I am now married.

Thanks!

Unofficially, I think it's called purgatory. :crying::crying:

Lets hope you don't get an interview waiver otherwise you may be waiting 1 year + for your green card.

Sent AOS Documents: 09/17/14

Documents Received: 09/18/14

Welcome letter received: 06/18/15

Sent I-751 Documents: 03/13/2017

Package received: 3/14/17

Check cashed: 03/21/17

NOA received: 03/23/17

NOA dated: 03/16/17

Biometrics: 04/20/17

ROC Approved: 02/09/2018

Sent N-400 Documents: 03/13/2018

Package received: 3/14/18

Check cashed: 03/29/18

NOA received: 03/19/18

NOA dated: 03/19/18

Biometrics: 04/08/19

N-400 Approved: 02/28/19 🤸‍♂️

Oath Ceremony: 03/15/19 :dance:

Unofficially, I think it's called purgatory. :crying::crying:

Lets hope you don't get an interview waiver otherwise you may be waiting 1 year + for your green card.

I've already been waiting since November. :( My dad has had a stroke and I want to return to Australia to see him. Stupid process. Just wondering how I prove my status.

You are in a legalized period of authorized stay with a pending adjustment of status application (or something like that). Purgatory sounds about right.

Congratulations on the wedding! And I'm glad you filed for the EAD/AP. Green cards can take a year (+) right now, but as long as you have your EAD/AP, it doesn't really matter!

I've already been waiting since November. :( My dad has had a stroke and I want to return to Australia to see him. Stupid process. Just wondering how I prove my status.

You applied for AP in November? You should have your EAD/AP card within 90 days of filing. If you've passed that window, you need to make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office to get that sorted out (and maybe a temporary stamp in your passport).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

You are in a legalized period of authorized stay with a pending adjustment of status application (or something like that). Purgatory sounds about right.

Congratulations on the wedding! And I'm glad you filed for the EAD/AP. Green cards can take a year (+) right now, but as long as you have your EAD/AP, it doesn't really matter!

You applied for AP in November? You should have your EAD/AP card within 90 days of filing. If you've passed that window, you need to make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office to get that sorted out (and maybe a temporary stamp in your passport).

I applied (and received) my EAD already, but I did not file for AP in November, as I was under the impression that I would need a travel date set to apply. Now I am in need of AP and are applying. I have not been told about InfoPass at all. (In fact, I don't know what that is?)

I applied (and received) my EAD already, but I did not file for AP in November, as I was under the impression that I would need a travel date set to apply. Now I am in need of AP and are applying. I have not been told about InfoPass at all. (In fact, I don't know what that is?)

Got it. That AP form is a bit misleading. You can request emergency AP, but there is a list of criteria you must meet for these conditions (you can search for emergency AP on this site...or someone else will come along who has the list handy).

Here is the main link. Along the right is a link to make an InfoPass appointment. You could potentially make an appointment to discuss if you'd qualify for emergency AP.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

From the VJ K1/K3 AOS Guide:

As a note, in an emergency where travel outside of the United States is needed (while a beneficiary's I-485 in still being processed) an Advance Parole can be obtained quickly by scheduling an Info-Pass appointment at your local USCIS office. You must show proof (doctors note, etc) that the travel is a true emergency (such as to see a critically ill relative or other true emergency) and file an I-131 (AP) in person. If approved the AP is likely be issued the same day. Do not attempt to leave the country without an AP as this can result in the beneficiary's I-485 being considered "abandoned" and will require a new Visa to enter the US (and refiling of the I-485).

Be sure to bring along a copy of your I-485 NOA1 receipt.

https://infopass.uscis.gov

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.