Ligaya10

To travel or not to travel? Please help

21 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I hope everyone's doing good, just have some questions regarding my right to travel WITHIN United States.

So here's the situation, in my passport, K1 visa is approved October 10, 2014 and the expiration period is March 29, 2015. I married my fiancee March 20, 2015 and we passed our AOS, EAD and AP last April 14, 2015. We are still waiting for everything to be processed, so in short, my immigration status is in LIMBO :(

Here's the thing, my son is coming over in the US on June under K2 Visa so my question is.....

Given the fact that my visa already expired, can I travel to California this JUne to be with my son? (I live in Connecticut and my ex's family will be bringing him in California here cause they are already GC holders and they live there).

Please advise on this situation... many thanks for the help!

Bests, Joy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Given the fact that my visa already expired, can I travel to California this JUne to be with my son? (

Sure, go ahead.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi Baron,

Are you sure I wont have any issues with US Customs and Border Protection?

Moving about the US, from CT to CA, you don't go through any Customs or Border Patrol.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Baron,

Are you sure I wont have any issues with US Customs and Border Protection?

You will not encounter CBP when flying within the U.S. CBP is only stationed for international flights.

I'm sure because I have flown from Hartford to California several times.

Hi Baron and Aaron,

Thanks for the update.

I called USCIS and they referred me to CBP to clarify the situation.

So Aaron, you went from CT to CA and your visa was already expired when you did that?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

To be safe, carry a photocopy of your AOS package's cover-letter with you (the one that covered your application), and then your I-797 (NOA1) when it arrives. CBP does hang around in some airports, and you'll never know where or when.

[Moderator hat on]

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- OP is past the K-1 stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You will have no problem flying within the U.S. using your Philippines passport.

When traveling by car or bus, stay away from the CBP check points near the Mexican border.

Have a nice trip!

To be safe, carry a photocopy of your AOS package's cover-letter with you (the one that covered your application), and then your I-797 (NOA1) when it arrives. CBP does hang around in some airports, and you'll never know where or when.

[Moderator hat on]

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- OP is past the K-1 stage. ***

Hi TBoneTX,

Does it matter if I am done with Biometrics and I already have the info from USCIS that I need further documents to have my GC? that is also the reason why im going to California.

Thanks, joy

You will have no problem flying within the U.S. using your Philippines passport.

When traveling by car or bus, stay away from the CBP check points near the Mexican border.

Have a nice trip!

Hi Tahoma,

Thanks for the update.

I will be on a plane from JFK New York to San Francisco airport. Will CBP still interrogate me?

Thanks, joy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1. Does it matter if I am done with Biometrics and I already have the info from USCIS that I need further documents to have my GC?

2. I will be on a plane from JFK New York to San Francisco airport. Will CBP still interrogate me?

1. Until you have your green card, always carry the LATEST documentation that you have -- whether it's something that you sent to USCIS or something that USCIS sent to you. I had Mrs. T-B. do this as a priority.

2. The chances are remote, but if you stick your paperwork (from #1 above) in their hands, they'll almost certainly be satisfied. CBP agents tend to be bored, they're often in a foul mood, and they're often looking to nail somebody, so nip all that in the bud before it can start. A respected member on here said that he routinely saw CBP agents hanging around with the TSA agents in the San Francisco airport, so be prepared for that if you're flying back out of SFO. I have no relevant information about JFK.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can travel anywhere in the US while your status is adjusting. It is traveling outside the US without your Advanced parole that will become a problem. So enjoy as much US travel as you like, just don't leave the country until your AP/EAD card is in your hand.

1. Until you have your green card, always carry the LATEST documentation that you have -- whether it's something that you sent to USCIS or something that USCIS sent to you. I had Mrs. T-B. do this as a priority.

2. The chances are remote, but if you stick your paperwork (from #1 above) in their hands, they'll almost certainly be satisfied. CBP agents tend to be bored, they're often in a foul mood, and they're often looking to nail somebody, so nip all that in the bud before it can start. A respected member on here said that he routinely saw CBP agents hanging around with the TSA agents in the San Francisco airport, so be prepared for that if you're flying back out of SFO. I have no relevant information about JFK.

Hi TBone,

Many thanks for the advise but what is TSA?

Bests, Joy

You can travel anywhere in the US while your status is adjusting. It is traveling outside the US without your Advanced parole that will become a problem. So enjoy as much US travel as you like, just don't leave the country until your AP/EAD card is in your hand.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input.

Bests, Joy

No.

Thanks!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi All,

I hope everyone's doing good, just have some questions regarding my right to travel WITHIN United States.

So here's the situation, in my passport, K1 visa is approved October 10, 2014 and the expiration period is March 29, 2015. I married my fiancee March 20, 2015 and we passed our AOS, EAD and AP last April 14, 2015. We are still waiting for everything to be processed, so in short, my immigration status is in LIMBO :(

Bests, Joy

you will be ok you are in legal status until your case is adjudicated. Safe travels!

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi All,

Here's the thing, my son is coming over in the US on June under K2 Visa so my question is.....

Given the fact that my visa already expired, can I travel to California this JUne to be with my son? (I live in Connecticut and my ex's family will be bringing him in California here cause they are already GC holders and they live there).

Bests, Joy

You can travel anywhere in the USA without issue. Carry your passport and a copy of the NOA1 for filing the I-485(this gives you a year of legal status) until you actually receive your green card.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.